Card Collecting

SyCo

anyone here do it? i recent picked up collecting nfl cards for a hobby. like everyone else in the universe, i was a hardcore baseball card collector when i was a kid, in the early 90s, but lost interest when i realized they were completely worthless.

I'm working on self completing the 2012 topps nfl set. i figured that would keep me busy instead of just digging for gems. anyone have any tips or suggestions for a newbie collector?

anyone here do it? i recent picked up collecting nfl cards for a hobby. like everyone else in the universe, i was a hardcore baseball card collector when i was a kid, in the early 90s, but lost interest when i realized they were completely worthless.

I'm working on self completing the 2012 topps nfl set. i figured that would keep me busy instead of just digging for gems. anyone have any tips or suggestions for a newbie collector?

I last collected back in 2006. Havent had the money since then really.

As for completing sets without just buying the set, the best idea I have for you is to buy the boxes of packs. Itll take you forever to complete a set buying a few packs a week or so. The other thing you can do is buy individual cards, like the rare ones, at card shops or on EBay.

Topps are some of the most common cards though, if I were you Id complete a set of Upper Deck. They are worth more.

Thats really the only advice I have for you.

I literally have over 300 different Deion Sanders cards. He was kinda my idol when I was a kid. I have 32 of his Topps Falcons rookies all in mint condition. I have all of his Falcon and Yankee rookie cards. I didn't stop collecting when he left Atlanta either...but I stopped sometime in the late 90's. Pretty much wasted money at this point, but he still is the best corner of all time...smile.png

I was the same way with emmitt, but I stopped collecting around 96.

The only card I never got was his upper deck rookie card.

I have his Pro Set rookie.Used to have Torry Holts rookie card, but gave it to my brother.I have Larry Fitzgerald and a few others as well.

I have Barry Sanders' rookie card that I picked up in the early 90s. My son was born in 1990 & I went all bought all the baseball card sets from that year. Upper Deck had made it's debut the year before so I bought the '89 baseball set (still wrapped/never opened). In '92, I went to the 1st ever regular season game @ the Ga Dome, & the cheerleaders were giving away Pro Set Football Cards Packs. In the pack I got there was an Emmitt Smith Hologram card with his ROY trophy (it used to be worth like $40). I got out of it because it was getting too expensive, & you could never complete a set with all the extra inserts. Plus, the cards are so massed produced & there are actual collectors now (unlike the cards from the 50s & 60s where only kids collected them). There won't be a scarcity of today's cards in near mint condition. My oldest card I bought as a single is a '62 Warren Spahn card (since I'm also a Braves fan). I've always wanted to go back & get a '67 Hank Aaron card (year I born).

I have Barry Sanders' rookie card that I picked up in the early 90s. My son was born in 1990 & I went all bought all the baseball card sets from that year. Upper Deck had made it's debut the year before so I bought the '89 baseball set (still wrapped/never opened). In '92, I went to the 1st ever regular season game @ the Ga Dome, & the cheerleaders were giving away Pro Set Football Cards Packs. In the pack I got there was an Emmitt Smith Hologram card with his ROY trophy (it used to be worth like $40). I got out of it because it was getting too expensive, & you could never complete a set with all the extra inserts. Plus, the cards are so massed produced & there are actual collectors now (unlike the cards from the 50s & 60s where only kids collected them). There won't be a scarcity of today's cards in near mint condition. My oldest card I bought as a single is a '62 Warren Spahn card (since I'm also a Braves fan). I've always wanted to go back & get a '67 Hank Aaron card (year I born).

i know collecting is serious business these days, that's why i lost interest, just to many **** cards. though i figured now would be a good time to start collecting football cards,, because it isn't a common as baseball collecting in the 90s, but the nfl is so much more popular.

but like i said, I'm just working on completing base sets, and not fishing on Ebay for inserts. if i pull some myself, that's just a bonus.

My advice would be make sure to seal the cards as soon as you get them to keep them mint. Even junk card or doubles you might wanna pass down years from now to your kids. So having more than 1 set could be cool if you have more than 1 kid our nephews and such. might make cool and original gifts 20 years from now.

Might not be worth much but you never know if they are mint.

I am serious about hobby shops I have worked in a few and those guys were all a holes about searching the boxes for good packs then putting all the normal packs into one box so you have pretty much zero chance of pulling an expensive card.

Sometimes it was as simple as knowing where in the box the inserts were, and no, they are NOT just randomly inserted as the packs claim.A good store owner will shuffle the packs so even customers cannot search.

But some card companies like Topps make it ridiculously easy.

A few years ago they released a Topps Bazooka set that had about three uniform cards per box. It was exact opposite because in most sets, the uniform card were thick and hard to bend, so to throw people off, companies started inserting a hard blank card in packs. In this Topps set, the uniform packs were the easy ones to bend. They also made a WWE set the same way. I feel bad because I used to clean up on those things at WalMart. But I would also set some aside and tell kids to buy those packs. I never did this while working in a store however. I do have some scruples.

But cards are so overproduced and instantly protected these days they won't hold their value like older cards.

My advice is collect players or teams like regardless of the value and you will never be disappointed in your collection.