Uga Baseball Season\recruiting

Cable Guy

About to leave for the tailgate within the hour. smile.png

Finally a sport we might actually have a chance to beat you guys. We routinely take games from Tech and I read somewhere (though I'm not sure I believe it) that GSU leads the all time series versus UGA although I honestly can't remember the last time we played. Kind of a rebuilding year for us but I'm confident we take at least one game maybe if we get lucky we take the series 2 out of 3.

J.J Clements is going to be ROCKING tonight. Anybody making the trip down?

Edit:
Georgia leads, 49-38-1
Georgia Southern leads, 15-14-1 in Statesboro
Last meeting was a 9-4 GSU win in 2005.

11-2 GSU blowout. I take it this is a down year for the Dawgs? The pitching was just gawd awful, especially today.

Hate to be a sore winner but I didn't like the way the UGA pitchers took out their frustrations on our batters. Seems like their were 8 to 10 bean balls in three games. I think the heckling really got to em. Alot of people were complaining but I thought the Umps did an excellent job of keeping the benches under control.

our sunday starters have stunk for years.. perno has this year and if they don't show improvement and I don't see our team doing that, I don't see perno being in Athens for next season. this has nothing to do with the gsu series because bigtime teams lose series to programs like gsu all of the time. I am referring to the team in general.

Perno's luck will finally run out this year...he would have been fired after last year if he was not a UGA/Athens guy and also his Mom was dying of cancer....this team has 80% Freshmen and Soph...SEC play is gonna be brutal...it will soon be time for the Administration in Athens to prove that they really care about baseball and basketball and spend the money necessary to win at the highest level.

our sunday starters have stunk for years.. perno has this year and if they don't show improvement and I don't see our team doing that, I don't see perno being in Athens for next season. this has nothing to do with the gsu series because bigtime teams lose series to programs like gsu all of the time. I am referring to the team in general.

Hey careful when you say "programs like GSU" we're not exactly small potatoes in baseball like we are in the other major collegiate sports. tongue.png

We have been ranked in the top 25 on multiple occasions before and if we beat Florida Thursday (unlikely but we've beat them in single game competition before) we'll probaly crack it again. If not there's always the three game home series versus Indiana this weekend which on paper I think we win.

So yeah while Georgia might be pretty lousy it's not like they lost to New Jearsy Tech or anything. (Remeber that the Southern Conference's RPI is routinely ahead of conferences like the Big East and Big 10, Baseball is a different monster than Football and Basketball)

Teams like Cal St Fullerton and UC Irvine go to town on the "Big Name" programs every week and they do it on a regular basis (ie not nesscarilly in the flukey way that Baseball sometimes shakes out) .

Edit: Kennesaw has a pretty lofty program as well I think they swept South Carolina this past weekend.

gsu isn't a program that is considered on the level of a cal st fullerton. you guys are a good program, but you aren't at that level. regarding uc Irvine they stopped their baseball program for 2 decades and they have more world series than gsu has had. you guys are a good program, but don't inflate just how good your program is and it's not a dig at all with what I said about gsu. if you have been following college baseball (which I believe you have) then you know these type of series happen all of the time whether it's gsu, liberty, and a bunch of other smaller programs that fit into that category.. it doesn't mean a team is going to stink if they don't win that series or be great if they sweep it. however with the dawgs this year with all of our issues I just don't see this team doing much. if perno can get uga competitive in the sec he might keep his job, but I don't see it.

Perno's luck will finally run out this year...he would have been fired after last year if he was not a UGA/Athens guy and also his Mom was dying of cancer....this team has 80% Freshmen and Soph...SEC play is gonna be brutal...it will soon be time for the Administration in Athens to prove that they really care about baseball and basketball and spend the money necessary to win at the highest level.

yep this season could end up being brutal. the youth on this team is really going to be something. perno is bringing in a top 3 recruiting class where he lost 1 guy off it and it was a big loss. I like perno, but it's been clear for sometime he should be gone.

yep this season could end up being brutal. the youth on this team is really going to be something. perno is bringing in a top 3 recruiting class where he lost 1 guy off it and it was a big loss. I like perno, but it's been clear for sometime he should be gone.

Hope I am wrong, but this season could be historically bad....It will be interesting to see if when Adams is gone if the big contributors who have been gone for a while will come back and start making demands on McGarity to improve the mediocrity which has set-in in most of our programs outside of football. Absolutely no excuse for UGA to have poor baseball or basketball programs...Also Gymnastics is now 3rd or 4th in the SEC and volleyball has been bad for 15 years.

Hope I am wrong, but this season could be historically bad....It will be interesting to see if when Adams is gone if the big contributors who have been gone for a while will come back and start making demands on McGarity to improve the mediocrity which has set-in in most of our programs outside of football. Absolutely no excuse for UGA to have poor baseball or basketball programs...Also Gymnastics is now 3rd or 4th in the SEC and volleyball has been bad for 15 years.

Off topic but it sickens me that with all the good basketball talent that comes from this state neither UGA or Tech can really breakthrough.

gsu isn't a program that is considered on the level of a cal st fullerton. you guys are a good program, but you aren't at that level. regarding uc Irvine they stopped their baseball program for 2 decades and they have more world series than gsu has had. you guys are a good program, but don't inflate just how good your program is and it's not a dig at all with what I said about gsu. if you have been following college baseball (which I believe you have) then you know these type of series happen all of the time whether it's gsu, liberty, and a bunch of other smaller programs that fit into that category.. it doesn't mean a team is going to stink if they don't win that series or be great if they sweep it. however with the dawgs this year with all of our issues I just don't see this team doing much. if perno can get uga competitive in the sec he might keep his job, but I don't see it.

To my knowledge UC Irvine only has 1 WC appearance and if you took Tech, GSU and UGA's accolades and put them all together it still wouldn't even come close to Cal St's resume, I was just using it as an example of a seemingly small school from a small conference who's almost unheard of outside the world of College Baseball who dominates the seemingly larger programs on a regular basis.

Most people can't look past a conference/school's basketball and football prestige that they think that equates to all the other sports (albeit SEC is probably the best Baseball conference). The Socon for instance dominated its out of conference schedules this weekend, it doesn't get enough credit for how competitive it's baseball programs are. Sadly we'll actually be taking a step down when we make the move to the Sunbelt because it is a weaker conference when it comes to baseball.

On the plus side the football is FBS (well sorta)....smile.png

As to Georgia they showed some pretty decent relief pitching in spots but I was astounded as to how bad the rest of the rotation was. I was kind of wondering if they were holding back Aces for their next home series or if they were just THAT bad (and I mean can barley hit the plate BAD, did I mention the bean balls?). This is sort of a reloading year for GSU as well but they pretty much equaled or surpassed UGA in (almost) every facet of the series. Going in I thought we might win the series but honestly we were an error and a bad hit and run, away from completing the sweep it was pretty shocking considering the overall quality of the program and the fact that UGA is only 5 years removed from a Championship appearance.

But a friend of mine always likes to say you should never judge an MLB team's record till at least mid June so maybe we should give UGA another few weeks before we really start burying them.

UGA plays in the toughest conference in the nation in baseball and we have a rebuilding year that very few teams can match this coming year so unless perno has a bunch of freshman who play like all american seniors we won't do jack in the sec. I don't worry losing a 3 game series to gsu as I said many teams will slip up when playing a team from a smaller conference, but what does worry me is we lose our best starting pitchers and we don't have a lot of proven guys to step in. the draft has killed perno who has brought in the top class a number of times in recruiting, but have lost talent due to the draft. however all teams who recruit at the level perno has needs to deal with that so that's no excuse for him. we won't truly know how good (or bad) this uga team is til halfway through the year, but right now my expectations are pretty low. I am interested to see what changes they made to the ballpark.

UGA has no pitching coach or program for them. It is imposable for them to improve or even be consistent with no coaching. The kids have to have a strong work ethic and a strong personal program to perform at UGA.

well perno is our pitching coach and I laughed when he named himself that, but that's what he is. we basically need a change at the top with perno. he has done a great job taking us to a bunch of world series and coming very close to winning one and he brings in a lot of talent, but the coaching just isn't where it needs to be imo.

UGA has no pitching coach or program for them. It is imposable for them to improve or even be consistent with no coaching. The kids have to have a strong work ethic and a strong personal program to perform at UGA.

I talk to ex uga pitcher a fews years ago and he said Perno handles the pitchers and doesn't know what he's doing. His understanding was UGA gives Perno so much money and he has to divide that between his salary and his other coaches. So instead of hiring a pitching coach he handles the pitching staff. Which is a big problem with our team.

Edited by Nick Flair

well perno is our pitching coach and I laughed when he named himself that, but that's what he is. we basically need a change at the top with perno. he has done a great job taking us to a bunch of world series and coming very close to winning one and he brings in a lot of talent, but the coaching just isn't where it needs to be imo.

Well you know he "named" Eller the pitching coach this year. I know and talk to several of the young pitchers and their dads due to my son playing with them at east cobb. They have said it is a joke. They were asked to come in for the summer to workout with the team, but they didn't do anything they only worked on pitching if they did it on their own. This was counter productive since they missed playing the summer with their travel teams where they could have gotten some good work. You are right they need a change. UGA over recruits which gets them a bad rep then goes more for the power hitters and misses on several of the really good players that they could have had if the ran it right.

I talk to ex uga pitcher a fews years ago and he said Perno handles the pitchers and doesn't know what he's doing. His understanding was UGA gives Perno so much money and he has to divide that between his salary and his other coaches. So instead of hiring a pitching coach he handles the pitching staff. Which is a big problem with our team.

Looks like another example of our Athletic Dept being effing cheapskates! As I have said before, we're sitting on a mountain of cash while our trophy case just collects dust. Until this mindset changes, we will never have consistently good teams in the minor sports and it is only a matter of time before football spirals down again.

Wow that is messed up!

Looks like another example of our Athletic Dept being effing cheapskates! As I have said before, we're sitting on a mountain of cash while our trophy case just collects dust. Until this mindset changes, we will never have consistently good teams in the minor sports and it is only a matter of time before football spirals down again.

nothing has changed with mcgarity.. we made some changes to our baseball stadium, but it needs a lot more and we need more money for coaches, but it just won't happen. it's clear some things haven't or won't change.