How Many Yards Were We Away From Getting To The Ship?

Jaymadd

We were only 8-10 yards from getting to the ship. I don't know about y'all but that tells me that we were close and with most of the major pieces comin back next year we are in a good position to get to the ship next season. I am realizing that because of the success we had last year we are not in a position to have a plethora of impact players awaiting us at 30 and we need to add players that will have the greatest impact now but will help us stay consistent winners. I don't see many impact players on the defensive side of the ball at thirty, especially at DE. I went back and watched Oakafor and I am not pleased. The dude lacks burst and is at his ceiling IMo aside from adding a few techniques to his arsenal. I also see some DT's that may help us with the run but may not contribute immediately when it comes to our biggest weakness which is the pass rush. The reason why I like going with offense in the 1st and maybe 2nd round if we can score Lacy and Warford/Fredrick is that we add impact players to our team that should produce immediate results because we are not in a rebuilding mode we are trying to get those 10 yards and get to the ship. I am convinced that we need more immediate help on defense and that will come more than likely through FA. We need to add a FA DE and DT to help defend the run and pass. The good thing about this draft is that it is deep with talent so we can still make sure we are stocking our defense with talent that has upside like a Brandon Jenkins or a Brandon Williams. My main point is that for a team that was soo close to getting to the ship we need talent that will immediately improve the quality of our defense because FA have a smaller learning curve than rookies. we need that because we are I a position to win right now not waiting on a DE picked at 30 to reach the height of that learning curve at year 3. We take advantage of the draft by getting good defensive talent with upside in he middle rounds and get impact offensive players early because the impact defensive players will be gone.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just balance. While we were 10 yards away from a winning TD, we were also a pulled 49 yd FG away from a another playoff fizzle. This team has needs

I understand which is why we need to look at stop gap options to have more of an immediate impact since we are not drafting top 10

I understand which is why we need to look at stop gap options to have more of an immediate impact since we are not drafting top 10

Yeah. Drafting at #30, you can only expect a couple of players to play significant roles.

Haven't heard "getting to the ship" before. Is that the metaphor all you young fellas are using now?

Yeah. Drafting at #30, you can only expect a couple of players to play significant roles.

Haven't heard "getting to the ship" before. Is that the metaphor all you young fellas are using now?

It was from a movie with Kenau Reeves called Hardball in 2001. He coached a little league baseball team in the hood and all they talked about was getting to the ship = championship

I don't believe in one play. There were many yards left on the field for us, both offensively and defensively. Its a whole lot more than 5-10yds.

I didn't mean it literally but just pointing out that we were one game away from getting to the Super Bowl and that we need impact players to provide more immediate results

I didn't mean it literally but just pointing out that we were one game away from getting to the Super Bowl and that we need impact players to provide more immediate results

Not saying that I don't agree, I just don't agree 100%. Sure we lost the game that counted, but the FO dropped the ball on this one. Look back on all of our wins and losses and how many resembled the Championship game? We noticed as fans, why didn't they? Not certain what could have been done, but we have all off season to fix it.

Mantra for next year? No Excuses.

Not saying that I don't agree, I just don't agree 100%. Sure we lost the game that counted, but the FO dropped the ball on this one. Look back on all of our wins and losses and how many resembled the Championship game? We noticed as fans, why didn't they? Not certain what could have been done, but we have all off season to fix it.

Mantra for next year? No Excuses.

I agree that those type of game happened all year. I think it had to do with defense and lack of running game. I agree that it is time to fix it and relying on a DE and DT drafted 1st and 2nd round is not the answer, but getting a RB and OG within the 1st two round will certainly have a huge impact on our running game. We could use the money saved by cutting Turner to help solve our problem with the pass rush by getting defensive help in FA. Defensive players drafted at the bottom of 1st don't tend to be impact defensive players on their 1st year

I agree that those type of game happened all year. I think it had to do with defense and lack of running game. I agree that it is time to fix it and relying on a DE and DT drafted 1st and 2nd round is not the answer, but getting a RB and OG within the 1st two round will certainly have a huge impact on our running game. We could use the money saved by cutting Turner to help solve our problem with the pass rush by getting defensive help in FA. Defensive players drafted at the bottom of 1st don't tend to be impact defensive players on their 1st year

Draft position says very little to me man. I mean, you can do some things even in the 4th. The thing for me is that no matter what we do this year, we could be very different by season start, but we could still play the averages...that football version of "moneyball" and still do about the same. Its all about what we are looking to do, not so much who. More like what.

Draft position says very little to me man. I mean, you can do some things even in the 4th. The thing for me is that no matter what we do this year, we could be very different by season start, but we could still play the averages...that football version of "moneyball" and still do about the same. Its all about what we are looking to do, not so much who. More like what.

I agree we need an infusion of talent in the draft and in FA and need to go into FA trying to spend some money

With Nolan as our DC he will build this D up. Just look what he did with San Francisco. That being said, Okafor is perfect for Nolan and his hybrid schemes. We need him to fall to us BAD.

I don't like Okafor and I see a LDE that will get u 3-4 sacks a season and that is at his peak maybe sketching out 6 sacks in a good year. He is not a game changer and he will always need a Abe and a good Dt IMO cause strength in college does not translate as well in the NFL but u can always work with speed

I think that being so close might just be what we need to push out FO to not be so conservative

I'm stuck on '09 man. You were the only one who knew that I was angry about getting Jerry. I liked him for the most part, just not here. I felt that he would have been better as a UT or 3-4 DE somewhere else. He took an injury that was just brutal, but I never thought he's do much. He was like Babs' NT.

If we play that game this year and dance around the seriousness. We could get seriously backlogged.

I doubt we can get around getting some players, but its possible.

I'm stuck on '09 man. You were the only one who knew that I was angry about getting Jerry. I liked him for the most part, just not here. I felt that he would have been better as a UT or 3-4 DE somewhere else. He took an injury that was just brutal, but I never thought he's do much. He was like Babs' NT.

If we play that game this year and dance around the seriousness. We could get seriously backlogged.

I doubt we can get around getting some players, but its possible.

Yeah I agree about Jerry and I thought he would make a good three tech and IMO had more upside than Babs but we tried to make him a NT and that ain't him. We liked his talent that we just tried to make it fit but Peria was not the right piece to the puzzle neither was Ziggy Hood.

Yeah I agree about Jerry and I thought he would make a good three tech and IMO had more upside than Babs but we tried to make him a NT and that ain't him. We liked his talent that we just tried to make it fit but Peria was not the right piece to the puzzle neither was Ziggy Hood.

Yeah, that's what I knew. That was why I didn't understand Clay matthews not fitting the system.