Falcan Moore's Mock Offseason 3.0 (Final Pre-Combine)

My most detailed mock of the offseason yet. I'll probably wind up updating it with scouting reports. Last mock before the combine too, but I tried to plan around that by making it realistic even with the projected combine numbers for each player.

One thing I wish more mocks would include is the money working behind the scenes; it might give people more perspective on just how much cap space we have and what free agents and signings are realistic. I personally get my numbers from Spotrac, which is likely not entirely accurate, but it's the most accurate I've found and it's constantly updated, along with being user friendly in terms of finding numbers quickly.

Let's get down to it...here's what I would do with our team as the Falcons GM. I'll be listing brief reasons for the cuts and FA, but the draft is the part where I'm going to focus my attention in terms of lengthy verbage.

Currently, we have 116.88 million counting against the 121 million cap. I will be ignoring guaranteed money and signing bonuses in drawing up the contracts for the purpose of realism and consistency – ie; no ridiculously backloaded contracts.

Oh, and Ray Hamilton is gone. Enter Chuck Smith. I won't elaborate, because it should be obvious to all of you what a huge improvement this is.

Cuts

Dunta Robinson, CB (Cap hit of 9 million, cutting saves 6 million, dead money equates to being 3 million. Actually of the opinion that he's a fairly good cornerback, but he's looking for more money than we can afford, given the circumstances. A restructure after we already restructured last year is unrealistic.)

Michael Turner, RB (Cap hit of 8.9 million – cutting him will save a mammoth 6.9 million since only 2 million is dead money. I love ya buddy, but you're a flame dying down to a spark. Better luck elsewhere, I suppose.)

Dominique Franks, CB (Cap hit of just 0.63 million, no dead money, but he's a detriment to this team, and we need to make space for the draft. Franks is going the way of the dinosaur.)

Peria Jerry, DT (Cap hit of 2.01 million, where cutting him will save 0.91 million. Again, not worth it given that we need room for a couple new defensive tackles in town, and Jerry's been nothing if not absolutely useless since we got him.)

Kerry Meier, WR (Cap hit of 0.67 million, of which we'll save 0.63 million by cutting him. Again, not much, but every bit counts, and he's dead weight at this point.)

This will leave us with 101.81 million counting towards the cap. Might seem like a lot, but we have a lot of needs – it'll be used up quickly.

Walk

Tony Gonzalez

Brent Grimes

Will Svitek

Mike Cox

Todd McClure

Luke McCown

Mike Peterson

Lawrence Sidbury

Antone Smith

Chris Hope

Garrett Reynolds

All in all, with the positional breakdown, this means that we will be losing:

3 cornerbacks (ouch. But it gets addressed.)

2 running backs

1 defensive tackle

1 offensive guard

1 wide receiver

1 tight end

1 offensive tackle

1 fullback (crossing it off since we get Ewing back)

1 center

1 quarterback

1 linebacker

1 defensive end

1 safety

That's a lot of players to replace, but it's not all that tall of an order. Stay tuned.

Extend/Restructure

Matt Ryan (I hate that he's going to be getting a stupidly large contract. But by now, I've conceded to the fact. I'll keep up hope that it'll be marginally less than expected. 5 years at 80 million is still a lot of money, but it's at least manageable. Cap hit of 7 million for this year. And yeah, that's realistic, if we're backloading like most teams do – Brees had a base salary of just 3 million this year. Yowzas. That's going to bite them down the road. But, on the bright side, this saves us 5 million in the next year, and it's a reasonable (if somewhat low – yeah, somehow 16 million a year is low) figure for our franchise QB.)

Jonathan Babinieaux (One of my favorite players, and an absolute must that we don't cut him imho – he's incredibly underrated, and if our other defensive tackles had less dead money, I'd consider cutting any of them first. But a restructure makes sense, at least for the team's benefit – and his own, since he's slowly creeping up in age, and he's a UFA next year. Give him another 3 years at 14 million, with a cap hit of 3.7 million for this year. Not a drastic pay cut, but it gives us a little more wiggle room.)

Okay...we have 95.31 million counting towards the cap, after every detail has been ironed out. That number is going to go up quickly. Let's get started with our own free agents.

Re-Sign

Michael Palmer (2 year, 1.15 million. Almost identical to his first deal, largely for depth until we're absolutely sure my move has us set at TE – and I can see us taking a TE next year, if our defense is solidified as much as I think it will be, post-this-draft. Cap hit of 0.5 million this year.)

Christopher Owens (3 years, 1.45 million. Another inexpensive contract, and one that might be met with hostility, given how Owens has looked in the past...key words being “the past.” He was very good depth for us this year, and considering our defensive back propensity for injury, I'd like to keep him here just in case. Cap hit of 0.45 million. Pretty much the minimum. He won't get more elsewhere though. He'll do well as our #5 CB though.)

Vance Walker (3 years, 2.5 million. Pretty adamant about us locking up Walker, who was, in my humble opinion, our second best DT this year...and he did it quietly. Healthy deal for three years to see if he continues to develop. Stud in the 7th round for TD to pick, so good work on that one, Dimi. Cap hit of 0.8 million.)

Sam Baker (4 years, 20 million. Somewhat hesitant, but at the same time, I feel like Baker's turned it around...if he can stay healthy. That'll be a motif for our free agents being signed within the team, as you'll come to find out. I have trouble giving a guy with one good season who played in a contract year and has injury problems more than 5 mil a year, so this number will have to do for now. Cap hit of 3.75 million.)

William Moore (5 years, 36 million. Another injury prone player, but this time one that I think is honestly the key to our defense. Moore could easily be considered the second biggest part of our defense behind Abraham, right up there with Asante and Spoon. He improves us as a unit when he's on the field...I just really hope that he can stay on that dang field. Cap hit of 5 million for that first year. No doubt that it'll increase if he can stay healthy...but we're in a good spot for cuts if that isn't the case.)

Sitting at just 105.81 million towards the cap after all of those signings. Our back is starting to get closer and closer to the two way mirror, with our detractors staring on excitedly, eating popcorn and drooling on the floor. Let's not give them the satisfaction of watching us fail.

Free Agency

Evan Dietrich-Smith, C/G/T (3 years, 2 million. Slight pay raise in regards to where he once was, making .48 million a year, but nothing ridiculous. Dietrich is a prototypical Smitty wet-dream with the ability to play multiple spots on the line and play them well. A cap hit of 0.6 million is a small price to pay for depth on the OL. Young depth, too.)

Larry Grant, ILB (2 years, 2 million. Will probably get even fewer looks than he did last season since he didn't play hardly at all, but it's not for lack of talent – it's because he sits behind freaking Patrick Willis. He went for just over a million last year to stay with his current team, and his stock can't have improved just by riding the bench, but he's great depth for us, and even a candidate for a starting role if Dent doesn't keep improving. A cap hit of just 0.8 million gets him on our side, but even that small hit is enough to nudge our backs a bit closer to the metaphorical wall.)

Greg Toler, CB (3 years, 4 million. Very solid cornerback depth that does surprisingly well in terms of run defense as well. Extremely underrated though. Helps us big time since we had to get rid of 2 of our top 3 corners – but that couldn't really be helped. He'll come nice and cheap to us at 1 million per year due to being relatively unknown and being on a mediocre team, especially since he's a bit back on the depth chart.)

Sammie Lee Hill, DT (3 years, 7.5 million. Big. High character. Good as a pass rusher, solid as a run defender. He could honestly probably start for most teams in the NFL, except that he's sitting behind two of the most talented defensive tackles in football. I really love this guy and his potential to breakout, and it's a realistic signing too, considering our hole at defensive tackle and his mindset – he'd fit in with our locker room and the Smitty-guy stereotype really well, but not in a bad way. With this signing, we add meat to the line for 2 million this year as a cap hit, giving him his last contract essentially but for a more long term deal.)

Martellus Bennett, TE (5 years, 22 million. By far and away the biggest out-of-house free agency signing we make this year, and it's one I've been wanting for a while, but couldn't convince myself to do until I made a mock without Kelce. I love Kelce so much, but Bennett is the next best thing we could get. Grades the best in PFF, more than double how Gonzalez graded out, though it's largely due to his ability to run block. So he's another Michael Palmer? Wrong. 6'6 with good hands and a ton of upside, if only he was used a shade more. Funny guy too, a great person to have in the locker room. I see us giving him a deal similar to the one Greg Olsen got with the Panthers. Cap hit of 3.5 million.)

After free agency, here's a look at our needs:

2 cornerbacks

2 running backs

1 offensive guard

1 wide receiver

1 offensive tackle

1 quarterback

1 defensive end

1 safety

Which leaves us...at 115.11 million. That leaves 6 million for draft signings and UDFA. Yeah, I know - our buttcheeks are making little circles on the metaphorical glass by now. You're probably screaming, “We're doomed! Dooooomed! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-”

Well, shut up already. Because the top 51 are the only contracts that count against cap space, by the time we sign rookies, it'll shove a couple of other contracts under the rug, effectively giving us all the cap space we need to make these rookie signings. Make a couple extra restructures if absolutely need be, but honestly, we're likely to check out fine. I mean, we wouldn't be doing so good if we had a first round pick...but we don't.

Surprise!

That's right, the Atlanta Falcons traded their first round draft pick to the St. Louis Rams for their second and third round draft picks. This is a good deal for both teams. Not only does STL have the cap space to sign (now three) first round draft picks, moving up this far gives them flexibility, considering how their biggest needs get taken very quickly in the draft, those needs being things like WR, S, T, TE – they might be able to nail Vacarro at pick 16, Lane Johnson at 22, and someone like Patterson or Ertz with our pick 30. Suddenly, they're a much better team. We have the opposite needs, though. We need DEs – lots of 2nd-4th round talent. We need a guard – got some nice picks in the second and third. We need a corner, a running back, we need a meaty defensive tackle – oh, so they have those too? Super.

Add to that the fact that our FO has obvious ties to the Rams own management and the trade almost completely equals out in terms of value, and I honestly don't know if this will be us trading down – it might be them trading UP. It just makes too much sense. Unlike other unrealistic trade downs – why, why on Earth do the Bengals want to move up to the 1st and 3rd with their two second rounders? - this one helps both teams get stronger and makes sense from a value and management perspective. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So, here it is – your 2013 Falcons mock. Que confetti. As a note, I like to take chances with some smaller school guys, and some lesser known sleepers, especially late...but I'll do my best to convince you they deserve this chance to succeed. Also, I'll be ignoring the actual draft location of comp picks and simply saying (comp) for the spot, seeing as they haven't come out for sure just yet.

With the 46th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Alex Okafor, DE, Texas, 6'5, 261 lbs.

Defensive end from a small town in Texas that I can't pronounce, but he's made me a believer quickly. Especially good in his senior year, elevated his stock in the Senior Bowl and in the game against significantly higher ranked Oregon State with 4.5 sacks. As for his personal life, he's got his bachelor's degree and is a constant member of the UT Athletics Honor Roll, which stays consistent with the Smith regime's knack for targeting intelligent players. Steps up for the most part against competition, though his outings against Oklahoma and Kansas State were not exactly impressive.

Fairly good speed even though he has merely an average first step off the line. Much better from a two point stance, though he displays power from both two and four point stances. Power is the biggest part of his game in terms of physicality. Uses strategic hand placement and deceptive strength to force other linemen back into the quarterback's face, forcing errant throws even if he can't get the sack. Still gets a lot of pressure though, probably the most consistent of the defensive ends not named Bjoern Werner or Damontre Moore in this class. Has a spectacular bull rush, club move, dip, swim moves...honestly, his technique is superb. Solid height for the position, but he could stand to put on another ten to fifteen pounds. Could slip in the combine due to his lack of straight line speed and a lower 10 yard split than some of the freaks in this class, but he has good game speed. Not great back-end pursuit though. Stands up a bit too tall when he gets out of his stance sometimes. Decent twitch ability.

Very high motor, rarely gives up on plays. Needs to work on not over-pursuing, needs to consistently set the edge in the run game, but he is still solid as run support, especially when compared to other options at defensive end. Can absolutely dominate unprepared tackles, and he has the speed and intelligence to cover running backs briefly in the flats, but is abominable in zone coverage for the most part. Mediocre instincts, but Abraham could help him tremendously in that facet. So in love with his violent hands that I have to mention them again. Very much NFL ready, and while some might view him as the “safe” pick, I'd argue that it's only his lack of sexy-factor that plays into that – he's simply got a lot of potential at the next level. Proved those instincts right by having a great Senior Bowl practice and solid actual showing against NFL caliber tackles. Playing against Fisher was a tough task, but he was able to use his bullrush on a couple occasions even against him. Bulking up a little more will only help that further.

Best fit in the NFL is likely as a standard 4-3 defensive end, though he has a lot of untapped potential as a pass rushing weak side 3-4 outside linebacker. Best pass rushing plays come from the two point stance. Closest NFL comparison that I can think of is Terrell Suggs. Ray Edwards comparisons made by a couple other sites are completely inaccurate; Okafor has high work ethic and technique, but isn't quite as physically talented, and he also played a large part of the year without starting caliber DE on the opposite side. Rarely injured and actually went 32 games without being sidelined due to injury, I believe. Mid first round talent. Projecting him as a pick in the mid to late second, though, due to the abundance of athleticism in the draft this year, paired with what will no doubt be good but not great combine numbers. Solid 8-10 sack a year player with potential for even more if used in 3-4 looks. Great fit for the Falcons. Will likely be picked up by a team like the Steelers or Cowboys in the second unless we trade back or reach for him in the first, though considering it a reach is definitely more a matter of opinion. One of my favorite prospects for the black and red.

With the 60th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Travis Frederick, OG, Wisconsin, 6'4, 338 lbs.

Player with the versatility to play both guard and center, which will attract Smitty and TD no doubt, but I think his most natural fit is guard, and that's also where he's most likely to max out his potential. Very smart player set to graduate with his degree in Computer Engineering this Spring, and as a junior to boot. Academic All Big-10. Well spoken. His beard reminds me of Sam Baker – I know, I'm getting ready for the inevitable flaming. Absolutely massive body that can dominate other players one on one, opening up a large portion of the running game.

He started as a freshman, which I found pretty crazy considering his school. In addition to the academic side, he has several weight room records in Wisconsin, including a 780 lb squat, but I'm hoping teams ignore that physical upside due to how slow he is. He's quick, sure – his feet move fairly well, at least when moving forward – but he's got terrible straight line speed and is not athletic at all in that part of his game. Not great lateral movement – hence the perfect fit at guard. He's terrific in close quarters and can move to the second level and get blocks very well. Extremely dangerous in the run game. Pretty sure almost any running back could produce running it right at his back due to his power. He's also quick off the snap, so issues to do with his speed are irrelevant in most aspects of his game. A man as big as he is simply isn't going to run that fast. But he's a bloody mauler; someone who can open up all aspects of the running game just because he gets so much push.

His initial punch is one of the best this draft, and it can even rock back nose tackles. He displays intelligence in his manner of play as well, shoving his hands under the shoulder pads of players and steering them away from the hole. But I've rarely seen him called for holding because of the manner with which he keeps his arms close to his body when he attacks defensive linemen. Biggest problem with him in the run game is that when he gets beat, seldom as it is, he tends to be bad at recovering and might stop moving his feet. And he's not a chip block guy – he tends to force one guy back and force everyone else on the defense to go around him. I mainly worry about him in space, since he tends to stand up straighter and compromise his leverage when other players aren't close to him, and will lunge at them in order to compensate for his slow speed.

As a pass blocker, he anchors very well. Very difficult to move at the point, so defensive tackles will have to try and use swim moves and athleticism to get by him, but even then they may have trouble. Capitalizes quickly on the mistakes of defensive tackles and makes them pay for it. Luckily, he's a force against interior defensive lineman, walling them immediately at the point of attack. His lack of quickness shouldn't be much of an issue.

Slightly worried that New England will snatch him up before us in the second, but I'd hate to take him any earlier than at this pick. I mean, I wouldn't absolutely hate it, but I'd rather us take the best guard remaining, as there are several good prospects, and I doubt more than 2-3 will be off the board at this point. Definitely want him as a guard, his ceiling at center is limited, but he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl guard, especially with Pat Hill here since he naturally excels at run blocking and only needs a bit of help in the pass blocking game. A solid second round pick in my opinion, and I doubt other teams will take guards that quickly – I mean, just look at how far most guards slip in the draft. He'll do really well for us though, and he can be a day one RG starter.

With the 78th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St., 5'10, 193 lbs.

Probably my favorite cornerback prospect next to Xavier Rhodes this year that is realistic as an option for us, Rhodes being the pick in the 1st that is. Might be considered a bit of a reach to take him as early as the 78th pick in the draft, but if not for his height, he would merit first round consideration for most teams. Pretty intelligent kid, very well spoken and a terrific team player with the utmost focus on improving his game each and every year. He's definitely done so.

Shows excellent hip movement and honestly has few, if any, noticeable flaws outside of his height. Great instincts, reacting almost simultaneously with the receiver. He's the best small school man coverage cornerback by a mile. Might have a low 4.4 40, which would improve his draft stock, so I'm hoping he runs it in the mid range, or at least has someone time him slightly longer than he actually runs.

Somewhat similar to what I see in Grimes, but not nearly the same leaping ability. Sticks to his assignment like glue, though, is marginally taller, has better closing speed, and can do well in the run game too – good tackler overall. Can shut down receivers in the nickel if you ask me, but I'd be perfectly comfortable letting him have the 2nd CB spot if he shines in training camp and the preseason. He's a fast learner and constant improver, so he should do well in the NFL.

San Diego State isn't a big school, but I see McFadden as being a surefire stud nickel back with the potential to cover receivers on the outside if need be. An evaluation is necessary, but I would be very comfortable going into the 2013 season with Samuels, McFadden, McClain, Toler, and Owens as our cornerbacks, possibly having brought back Walls as well. Will likely go in the late third, but could go as far as the late fourth. I just want to make sure we take him before giving any other team a chance.

With the 92nd pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA, 5'10, 201 lbs.

You've all heard me rave about Franklin no doubt, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that I have us taking him in the third round. He's adored at his college, a big leader and team player with a love for football that is unsurpassed. Has the heart of a running back far larger than he is, but I can see him putting on another 10-15 lbs and shedding even more tackles without losing his incredible 4.4 40 speed.

He's got the best balance of any back in the draft, and that's something I say with utmost confidence. Lacy and Franklin have the best potential as starting running backs in this league, and since Lacy played behind a stud OL and will go in the mid second or even first round, I see Franklin as being the best alternative. Pair that with playing with a line that has only one player projected to be drafted (in the 7th round) and you have a very high upside player. Has patience when hitting the holes. Waits for his blocks to develop, but when he sees the hole, he explodes through it.

Biggest criticism I have is that he fumbles it frequently, but he only had one or two fumbles this year, something that no doubt was reduced largely because of the improvement in coaching with Jim Mora Jr. hopping on board the UCLA coaching staff. He also could work a bit on being more physical, and his receiving skills could maybe be better...but honestly, I'm doing my best to nitpick. He isn't afraid to lower his shoulder, and as you can see in the Nebraska game, he has fairly soft hands with very impressive YAC ability and movement in space. He has great vision. Great agility. Pretty much great everything. I'm so high on this kid that I honestly don't mind weed being disallowed in the Navy.

(I keed, I keed)

If we take Fredericks in the second and have Bennett as our TE with Franklin in the backfield, I can honestly see us having a RBBC top 10 rushing offense. Gonzalez was a mediocre to bad run blocker, whereas Bennett is one of the top 5 pass catching tight ends in the NFL in that category. Top 5 run blocking I mean – but with the skill to be a great tight end as well. Fredericks speaks for himself. The thing is, with how briefly the holes in our running game open up, this pick could make itself. Franklin is decisive. Turner would often be hesitant in hitting the hole, though he made good things happen when a bigger hole appeared. Jacquizz likes to get fancy in the backfield, sometimes taking a risk on the outside as opposed to straight up one-cut and go running. But Franklin can take a tiny crease and turn it into a touchdown in the blink of an eye. He'll go in the fourth if we don't take him here...so by God, TD, you better take him here.

With the 124th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina, 6'7, 275 lbs.

You know that boom or bust jazz people love to throw around? Devin Taylor is the epitome of that. I'll be shortening my descriptions since we're getting pretty far into the draft now, but I have to at least talk for a little while.

Taylor has been playing across from Jadaveon Clowney, drawing a lot of criticism because of his inability to produce monstrous numbers as a result. But I'd argue that he produced just fine without Clowney, and besides that, his upside is insane. Very fast and athletic. Struggles a bit in the run game but he can be disruptive all the same. Has a good swim move and decent power if he just thinks to use it more often. Always looking to swat at the ball and make a turnover happen...you know what, I'll let the film speak for itself. Here's an excerpt of the East-West shrine game – and keep in mind, this isn't even ALL of his good plays. And this is against better competition than he might be used to. If anything, he steps up his play significantly when faced with a challenge.

Oh, and as a last side note, I love his motor. At the very least, he can be a really good depth DE, due to his work ethic and refusal to give up. He does his best to keep improving, always. At best, he can be the steal of the draft, developing into a starting DE...and an imposing one at that. Might not be here in the draft, but it's not a stretch at all, seeing as how most big boards don't even have him in the top 120.

Edited by TuggIe2

With the (4th comp) in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee Martin, 6'4, 328 lbs.

Love this guy so much. He gets a ton of push, even on double teams, though part of that is no doubt due to playing inferior competition...but still! Just look at the guy. He has the ability to dominate games, and I have no doubt in my mind that he would've been a first round pick if he'd been able to stay with his school, which he couldn't due to academics. A shame, but I vote for TD taking a chance with Hughes. He's got a good motor and can be either the starting NT of the not so distant Falcons future or very, very solid depth. I just can't see how this pick, a borderline 5th, can “bust” at all. His ceiling is too high. Thank God more people don't know about this guy.

With the 156th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina, 5'8, 178 lbs.

As a warning, the song in this video blows. Can't find straight up game tape on Youtube though, so this'll have to do. Sanders is the dynamic kick returner we've been waiting for. Like Weems in a lot of ways, but more shifty. Great top end speed and can actually be a very solid 3rd or 4th wide receiver, since he has soft hands. Not as deceptively physical as Weems, but he can definitely play a lot more physical than you'd expect. Great on drags and slants, as you might expect, but he's actually a good threat deep as well. Bring him home already!

With the 188th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky, 6'5, 248 lbs.

How many defensive ends available in the 6th round have their best tape against the Alabama defensive line? This guy was someone I was unbelievably high on before this season, and he didn't disappoint. Almost pure pass rusher with some serious deficiencies as a run stopper, but as a rusher on passing downs, he has very few equals in this draft. He's terrific at baiting lineman by letting up, then returning with an insane amount of burst to get around them and take out the quarterback.

He had an ACL injury that will no doubt make him incapable of contributing immediately for us in the 2013 season, and as a result, he's predicted to go undrafted...but I'm not comfortable giving other teams the chance to pick him up instead of us. If we sit him for 2013 and he comes back in 2014 at full health, puts on some muscle, and retains his explosion...man. We'll have the steal of the 2013 draft. And I know I keep saying that, but it's only because I feel like I've gotten pretty good at judging steals over the last several years. Richard Sherman and Arian Foster were big ones I got right...I feel like Quanterus Smith could be an exclusive pass rusher that could add significantly to the dynamics of our defense going forward. If we miss? It's a sixth rounder. Whoop-de-doo. But we won't miss. He's one word. Stud. Nuff said.

And if he learns how to stop the run...watch out, NFL.

With the 220th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook, 5'9, 205 lbs.

Another prospect being predicted to go undrafted by many sites, that or in the seventh round. I'm fine with us giving up a 6th next year to move up to the sixth to select him if that's what it takes, too...but hopefully it doesn't come to that. I can see this guy being – you guessed it! - another big steal in the draft. Small school, running behind practically no offensive line, but he runs hard and angry, working for every yard, and he could easily be the next Arian Foster. Would hate to see us pass him up, though I would understand since we got Franklin earlier – all the same, a RBBC approach using Franklin, Rodgers, Maysonet and Snelling sounds extremely appealing, especially with the upgrades to run blocking.

With the (7th comp) pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Jordan Rodgers, QB, Vanderbilt, 6'1, 212 lbs.

I already know what you're thinking. The hype of Aaron Rodgers, right? Wrong. Jordan, brother to the great A-Rod, is his own man, albeit a much less skilled one. He has impressive touch on passes twenty yards or less, though they tend to flutter after you get past that distance. Good mobility and accuracy with decent decision making, though he needs to learn to throw the ball away. All the same, he has the makings of a solid backup, and I'd be more than happy to have him and Dominique Davis fight it out for the chance to back up Ryan. Competition at spots of need, especially youthful competition, is a great thing. This would help both quarterbacks grow, if anything.

In the end, our position losses have been narrowed to:

1 cornerback

1 offensive tackle

1 safety

Not unrealistic at all, considering that we have depth on the line capable of playing multiple positions and tend to keep lineman and a safety on the practice squad. I see Walls making a return as well.

So, there we have it! My mock offseason, as realistic as I could make it within the context of the NFL as it stands today. Feel free to post your own thoughts on this mock guys – any opinion is valued.

Edited by TuggIe2

Why wouldn't he? The worst thing he's ever done is posted a song with swearing in it to Youtube. He's a great guy, funny, and I feel like he's the sort of spark similar to Samuels, except on offense.

If Wikipedia has dirt on you, then you really have dirt.

During the preseason camps, the documentary series Hard Knocks initially portrayed Martellus as a lazy and unmotivated player.

In a January 2010 news conference following the season, Jerry Jones indicated that while Bennett has breakout potential, he needs to put in the focus to meet it.[40]

Bennett raised some eyebrows during a radio interview when he stated that backup quarterback Jon Kitna deserved a chance to compete for the starting quarterback job after filling in for the injured Tony Romo during the 2010 season

On June 1, 2012, Bennett showed up to OTA's weighing in at 291 pounds

Bennett is not the pretty choir boy type Dimitroff likes. If Robinson coulnd't make it over Meier, Bennett won't make it over Palmer.

Edited by Mr. Right

If Wikipedia has dirt on you, then you really have dirt.

During the preseason camps, the documentary series Hard Knocks initially portrayed Martellus as a lazy and unmotivated player.

In a January 2010 news conference following the season, Jerry Jones indicated that while Bennett has breakout potential, he needs to put in the focus to meet it.[40]

Bennett raised some eyebrows during a radio interview when he stated that backup quarterback Jon Kitna deserved a chance to compete for the starting quarterback job after filling in for the injured Tony Romo during the 2010 season

On June 1, 2012, Bennett showed up to OTA's weighing in at 291 pounds

Bennett is not the pretty choir boy type Dimitroff likes. If Robinson coulnd't make it over Meier, Bennett won't make it over Palmer.

lol wikipedia

But really, those aren't huge knocks, and he's obviously been improving every year. I don't see the issue in anything he says...the weight thing is the only big-ish one, and obviously he got over that.

I'm guessing you missed the bit where TD said he'd take a few more risks since we have a strong locker room.

How long did this take.

Well though out the only thing that confused me was when you said we have 101 mil in cap space and so on but I think you meant what our cap would be at if we cut this guy and that guy.

The only thing people may not see coming is us cutting Abe and Babs don't want to see it happen but if we have to cut Abe to sign a guy like Kruger I all for it same with Babs

lol wikipedia

But really, those aren't huge knocks, and he's obviously been improving every year. I don't see the issue in anything he says...the weight thing is the only big-ish one, and obviously he got over that.

I'm guessing you missed the bit where TD said he'd take a few more risks since we have a strong locker room.

Of course those aren't huge knocks, but a sin is a sin says the Falcon Filter.

How long did this take.

Well though out the only thing that confused me was when you said we have 101 mil in cap space and so on but I think you meant what our cap would be at if we cut this guy and that guy.

The only thing people may not see coming is us cutting Abe and Babs don't want to see it happen but if we have to cut Abe to sign a guy like Kruger I all for it same with Babs

Thanks for the catch. Edited.

Been working on it sporadically, pulled some bits (like on Okafor and McFadden) and paraphrased them from the scouting reports I've written up. Took a week or so total.

Haven't posted on this board in a long time... but gotta give you credit for an excellent mock... and for digging in and finding some diamonds... especially like the running back from Stony Brook... and I can remember that game against Georgia and thinking how nice it would be if the Falcons could get Rodgers little brother to backup Ryan...

Falcan Moore great effort! If this worked out it would be a nice offseason. I really would like the Falcons to get Sammy Lee Hill in FA as well. Ace Sanders is the best special teams KO/PR player in the draft and he can do some things in Koetter's offense. Do you think Abe might be a cap casualty as well?