Nfl.com's All-Under-25 Team

Rave

Russell Wilson, J.J. Watt headline NFL.com's All-Under-25 Team

• Elliot-Harrison_110827_65.jpg
  • By Elliot Harrison
  • Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
  • Published: Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:37 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 12, 2013 at 03:47 p.m.

Russell Wilson was the choice, after much consternation and internal strife.

Last week, we had an Instant Debate asking which player you would most want when starting a team from scratch. It's an interesting query. Who would your selection be?

Pro football is a young man's game -- no doubt about that. Nonetheless, it is generally understood that the prime of a player's career is when he is still in his athletic peak, yet the game has slowed down enough for him, in a figurative sense, that he knows what he's doing without thinking about it. Wilson does not meet both criteria, in theory, because he still could use more seasoning, whereas we're seeing Adrian Peterson -- who has six NFL seasons under his belt -- at the height of his career.

If a general manager is building a team, though, he wants young players. He wants to get the longevity you get with a player in ascension -- he doesn't want one elite year, then a decline -- without having to pay as much coin as he would for an established player like Peterson.

With that in mind, I began pondering ... Who are the best players in the league? And more crucially, which guys have the most upside (with the caveat being that they are under 25)? Call it the All-Start-Up Team, with the best 25 players under 25 on the board -- 11 on offense, 11 on defense, a kicker, a punter and one extra defender, to account for 4-3 and 3-4 alignments.

Talk about some tough calls to make! Wilson over Andrew Luck. ... Alfred Morris on the outside looking in. ... Dez Bryant getting the nod over Julio Jones. (Jones hasn't shown a propensity for dominating games, and Bryant was statistically superior in 2012. It was the slimmest of margins.) J.J. Watt's inclusion required no such internal debate.

We're sure you'll find several slots below worth haggling over. There is a dark horse or two, a Jacksonville Jaguar and at least one dude you might not have heard about. Per the usual, feel free to send your own take to @Harrison_NFL.

Now, let's get to the All-Under-25 Team!

http://www.nfl.com/n...allunder25-team

Offense:

QB Russell Wilson

RB LeSean McCoy

RB Doug Martin

WR AJ Green

WR Dez Bryant

TE Rob Gronkowski

T Trent Williams

G Kevin Zeitler

C Mike Pouncey

G Jon Asamoah

T Tyron Smith

Defense:

DE JJ Watt

DE Jason Pierre-Paul

DT Geno Atkins

DT Gerald McCoy

OLB Von Miller

OLB Aldon Smith

ILB NaVorro Bowman

ILB Luke Kuechly

CB Richard Sherman

CB Patrick Peterson

SS Reshad Jones

FS Earl Thomas

Special Teams:

K Justin Tucker

P Bryan Anger

Edited by Enlightend32

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all that superiority he still couldnt help his team win more than half its games. #padstatslosegames

Leave it to you to take this off topic. The performance of the teams they play for is not the topic up for discussion. Seems some people just cant stay on topic.

In case you missed it, this is about the TOP players under 25....if you would like to discuss something else I recommend the "start a new topic" button.

Thanks.

I stand corrected?

I still think Jones is better as a player...but stats-wise, you got me there.

Youd be hard pressed to find anything, besides speed, that Jones has that Dez doesnt. I wouldnt say that makes him better. Just a different skill set. If speed is the deciding factor for a WR then Rice and Irvin were horrible.

Dez Bryant 92 catches 138 targets 67%

Julio Jones 79 catches 129 targets 62%

Edited by Enlightend32

Youd be hard pressed to find anything, besides speed, that Jones has that Dez doesnt. I wouldnt say that makes him better. Just a different skill set. If speed is the deciding factor for a WR then Rice and Irvin were horrible.

one of the problems I see with Jones is isn't all that strong. it's hard for him to get off in press coverage. he's tall, fast, and lanky. he's the NFL version of Kevin Durant. but he can be pushed around easy because he isn't that strong. Dez, on the other hand, is a much stronger play and can get physical with corners. that could draw flags, and helps him in the redzone.

and btw...Rice was pretty speedy

Edited by #1WilliamMooreFan

Leave it to you to take this off topic. The performance of the teams they play for is not the topic up for discussion. Seems some people just cant stay on topic.

How did Jones get involved in this topic? Was he mentioned on the list? Didnt thank so... kthxbye

one of the problems I see with Jones is isn't all that strong. it's hard for him to get off in press coverage. he's tall, fast, and lanky. he's the NFL version of Kevin Durant. but he can be pushed around easy because he isn't that strong. Dez, on the other hand, is a much stronger play and can get physical with corners. that could draw flags, and helps him in the redzone.

Our wrs do a lot of blocking. Dont know why when our running game was crap. But they do.

KEEEK! Man I'm excited as **** to see how his career unfolds... being the clear-cut DROY favorite and leading the league in tackles despite not starting at MLB until week 5 is just impressive as ****. That and he's already having mental chess matches with the opposing QBs like a seasoned vet.

Haha anyways, sorry. I'm just pumped about this dude.

Rice actually wasnt that fast, he just knew how to run routes better than anyone. Thats where he would get his separation.

How did Jones get involved in this topic? Was he mentioned on the list? Didnt thank so... kthxbye

A.) He was mentioned in the article.

Dez Bryant getting the nod over Julio Jones. (Jones hasn't shown a propensity for dominating games, and Bryant was statistically superior in 2012. It was the slimmest of margins.)

B.) #1WilliamMooreFan brought him up.

Julio Jones?

Please read all posts before making a fool of yourself again, ok? Thanks.

Edited by Enlightend32

KEEEK! Man I'm excited as **** to see how his career unfolds... being the clear-cut DROY favorite and leading the league in tackles despite not starting at MLB until week 5 is just impressive as ****. That and he's already having mental chess matches with the opposing QBs like a seasoned vet.

Haha anyways, sorry. I'm just pumped about this dude.

As you should be. The guy looks like hes going to be great.