Can A Slot Reciever Make Up For Gonzo?

WiscoFalcon

Think about that for a second, I know Gonzo is the best TE to ever play, and honestly, I don't really like any of the FA TE that will hit the market, and I don't want to spend a top draft pick on Ertz or Eifert (I much prefer Kelce). That being said, can we make up for the lack at TE with an upgrade at slot reciever?

There's been talk about Percy Harvin possibly being available, and Danny Amendola, and Wes Welker are FA.

Out of all of them I like Amendola. but in all honestly, I don't think we can fill the void at TE this year.

I would much rather replace that spot with a slot WR

Thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will take a combination of a big TE and a slot receiver. I think the good thing about getting a rookie TE is that playing with Matt Ryan he will throw him open. If you give him a big guy who can go up and get the ball he will get some scores in the red-zone. As far as 3rd downs I think Julio and Roddy will find a way to make up for Tony a little or they will make our slot guy a lot better.

I've been saying it throughout the season...if we add a stud slot receiver like Amendola or Harvin and add a real good blocking TE...not to mention a upgrade at RB....this offense would be unstoppable... that blocking TE would mask some of the deficiencies in the O line..

Can you imagine trying to stop three great receivers and a fast RB..

Harvin I believe is still playing on his rookie contract... so he would be the logical choice.. plus it gives us something else we need desperately.... A RETURN MAN...

Situationally, Gonzo will be hard to replace. Philosophically, a formidable slot receiver allows you to be quicker and attack the seams futther down field than with Tony G. His 4-7 touches get spread out to Julio, Roddy, and others.

To answer the question...yes it could make up for his absence, but only if we have the right guy.

Edited by ol'_dirty2

I've been saying it throughout the season...if we add a stud slot receiver like Amendola or Harvin and add a real good blocking TE...not to mention a upgrade at RB....this offense would be unstoppable... that blocking TE would mask some of the deficiencies in the O line..

Can you imagine trying to stop three great receivers and a fast RB..

Harvin I believe is still playing on his rookie contract... so he would be the logical choice.. plus it gives us something else we need desperately.... A RETURN MAN...

he'd be an excellent stop gap player because he's on the last year of his rookie contract perfect for the falcons. They'll get a needed boost on special teams. He'll also have positive effects on the run and pass game, where tony was a negative on the run game. You get an upgrade on offense and still have a draft to mend the defense.

If we draft a TE in the 4th like Kelce or Escobar, I think they can put up some good numbers. 50 catches, 600 yards, and 5 TD sounds about right. Juliio and Roddy will get more targets too. Either way, Matt still ends up throwing 4000-4500 passing yards and +30 TD if he stays healthy.

Edited by RVJATL

- Tony won't be replaced by a slot WR

- Harry Douglas is our slot WR

- Kelce will not make it to our pick in the 4th. He probably won't make it out of the 2nd round

To replace Tonys production the only way to do that is to get a solid running game. Get a quality RB (Lacey in 1st or maybe Bell in the 3rd etc.) or draft a RG early or bring in a FA

- Tony won't be replaced by a slot WR

- Harry Douglas is our slot WR

- Kelce will not make it to our pick in the 4th. He probably won't make it out of the 2nd round

To replace Tonys production the only way to do that is to get a solid running game. Get a quality RB (Lacey in 1st or maybe Bell in the 3rd etc.) or draft a RG early or bring in a FA

If Kelce will be taken before the 2nd, I'd rather take him before considering taking Lacy in the 1st. This year's draft is deeper in RB than it is in TE.

Edited by RVJATL