Pre Combine Mock

we get a 4th and 7th round comp for lost free agents:

1-DE Alex Okefor Texas

Day one starter at end.

2-DT Sylvester Williams NC

Big Bodied DT to help on early downs with the run and NT in 3-4 sets

3-CB Terry Hawthorne Illinois

Big frame cover corner for nickle duties, could be an outside corner with seasoning.

4-RB Lonnie Pryor FSU

Powerful runner with good hands and pass blocking skills. Nice compliment to quizz and snelling.

4-DE joe Kruger Utah

Big DE who can play end in a 3-4 or 4-3. Good LE project to help with run defense.

5-OLB Cameron Lawrence Miss ST.

Projects as mostly a pass defender with weak run skills sets. Could be a nice sub package player to spell dent/nicholas

6-TE Lucas Reed New Mexico

Brooks reeds little brother, gives you good hands and inline blocking. Not overly explosive but good.

7-C Sam Schwartzstein Stanford

Joe hawley isnt the answer as a backup center or gaurd. Here is a good value and nice depth behind konz.

7-WR Chad Bumphis Miss ST

Kick and punt returner

Like the first two picks a lot, as well as Pryor and Bumphis. Lawrence is a huge sleeper and I like his potential. Kruger too. Reed is at least solid and could be a better version of Palmer. Not a huge fan of Hawthorne, no idea who that center is though.

Thanks man. Went for lots of defensive help with a little mix of offensive skill. The center is a good size strength lacking in experience prospect

I like Datone Jones but he isn't as good of an edge rusher as Okafor. Jones to me is either a 3 tech DT or a 5 tech DE.

Exactly perfect for the Mike Nolan scheme gone are the days of having a base end its versatility and being multiple which is needed for our defense to be successful.

Jones can put his hand in the dirt or rush standing up and as you mentioned or play inside if needed in a 43 base.

With the way the NFL is now we need versatile 3 down guys who can play multiple positions so we can attack teams with different personnel packages.

Okafor is base end left or right thats it.I'd take Jones all day in a Nolan defensive scheme.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Exactly perfect for the Mike Nolan scheme gone are the days of having a base end its versatility and being multiple which is needed for our defense to be successful.

Jones can put his hand in the dirt or rush standing up and as you mentioned or play inside if needed in a 43 base.

With the way the NFL is now we need versatile 3 down guys who can play multiple positions so we can attack teams with different personnel packages.

Okafor is base end left or right thats it.I'd take Jones all day in a Nolan defensive scheme.

I think you misunderstood what I said. 3 technique DT means 4-3 under tackle. 5 technique DE means 3-4 LDE. At no point did I mention Jones being able to rush standing up, and I don't think he'll provide that function in the NFL. He needs to add weight, not lose it. He needs to get stronger, not faster. He should be at around 290-295 in the NFL, no 3-4 OLB on the planet is that big. Okafor is your 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB rush guy, not Datone Jones.

I think you misunderstood what I said. 3 technique DT means 4-3 under tackle. 5 technique DE means 3-4 LDE. At no point did I mention Jones being able to rush standing up, and I don't think he'll provide that function in the NFL. He needs to add weight, not lose it. He needs to get stronger, not faster. He should be at around 290-295 in the NFL, no 3-4 OLB on the planet is that big. Okafor is your 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB rush guy, not Datone Jones.

Jones ain't rushing standing up. He can be like a JJ Watt as far as you can play him across the d line.

Jones ain't rushing standing up. He can be like a JJ Watt as far as you can play him across the d line.

Exactly. If we draft him in the first, which I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to, we'd still need an edge rusher to complement Abe because Biermann has never been a pass rushing threat.

Actually it is true. Biermann's best pass rushing season was indeed 2010, but he never led the league in pressures.

I did remember wrong he didn't lead the league in pressures but....

Although Falcons LE Kroy Biermann recorded only three sacks in 2010, his 48 quarterback disruptions were just nine fewer than Pro Bowl teammate John Abraham's total.

Biermann put pressure on the quarterback on 11.71 percent of pass-rushing opportunities, which put him in the same neighborhood as Terrell Suggs and Julius Peppers. He also played the run well, finishing 13th in Pro Football Focus' defensive end ratings. Biermann is a candidate to break out with double-figure sacks in 2011.

I did remember wrong he didn't lead the league in pressures but....

Although Falcons LE Kroy Biermann recorded only three sacks in 2010, his 48 quarterback disruptions were just nine fewer than Pro Bowl teammate John Abraham's total.

Biermann put pressure on the quarterback on 11.71 percent of pass-rushing opportunities, which put him in the same neighborhood as Terrell Suggs and Julius Peppers. He also played the run well, finishing 13th in Pro Football Focus' defensive end ratings. Biermann is a candidate to break out with double-figure sacks in 2011.

Yeah, 2010 was Biermann's best season, but take this into account...he had 9 less disruptions than Abraham, on 44 more pass rush snaps. That was Biermann's best season and he didn't even break into the top 15 of DE pass disruptions per snap. He has since regressed from disrupting the QB on 9.0% of pass rush snaps to 6.3% in 2011 (tied with Ray Edwards) and now he's at 7.0% for 2012.