Hba 2013 Mock Draft V.5

You do realize Reynolds hasn't been on the Philly since the eagles game, right and lost the start job two games before that.

Some people call it gutting the team I call trimming the fat.

Reynolds never lost the starting job, he got hurt. Got put on the IR after the Oakland game. I'm not saying he's phenomenal, because he was still a problem during the Oakland game, but that was the only game that he struggled in pass protection, and he could very well have gotten hurt early in the game for all we know. He definitely does deserve a chance to win the starting job, though, regardless of who he's competing against.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trimming the fat isn't letting 15 guys out of a 53 man roster walk thats like 30% of team that was 10 yards away from making the SB.

To me I agree the roster needs to be improved but getting rid of 30% of it would be a catastrophic mistake and bringing in guys who have to aclimate to how we do things and expect to go back to where we went this year.To me if we did what you propose you may as well dig the grave and I'll fill the dirt on top of you because you've buried us with this mock.

Last year our record was (10-6) we lost 14 players, players who had far more impact than the ones I'm suggesting and we improved our record by 3 games and won a playoff games.

1. Chris Redman
  2. John Parker Wilson
  3. Antone Smith
  4. Eric Weems (Pro Bowler)
  5. Reggie Kelly
  6. Kirk Chambers
  7. Brett Romberg
  8. Spencer Adkins
  9. Curtis Lofton (Leader on Defense)
  10. James Sanders
  11. Darrin Walls
  12. Joe Zelenka
  13. Kelin Hayden
  14. Ovie Mughelli (Pro Bowler)

I know everyone panties is in a bunch but 10-15 player turnover is not unusual. Was that not trimming the fat? Look at it year over year turnover this is normal.

So if we got better cutting 14 players the year before. Losing our starting CB before the year started and losing what many of you deem as an up and coming player. It seem quite possible that we can continue to get better with another 15 roster changes I'm just saying.

Owned!!!!!

Edited by head busta from augusta

Guest King Jigsaw

I hate to beat the dead horse, but the one thing that really struck me was throwing away Bradie Ewing and taking a different FB as an UDFA. It's not like he's costing us if he's still on his rookie contract. We drafted him for a reason and have yet to really see what he can do because of his injury. It doesn't benefit us to get rid of him in anyway that I can see. If we take guys like Montee Ball or Travis Frederick, Ewing and Konz give them some familiarity that's really going to help our run game.

Edit: Also, anyone that feels the need to put 'Owned!' at the end of a reply shows a great level of immaturity. Just something to think about when you're considering how you present yourself publicly.

Edited by King Jigsaw

I hate to beat the dead horse, but the one thing that really struck me was throwing away Bradie Ewing and taking a different FB as an UDFA. It's not like he's costing us if he's still on his rookie contract. We drafted him for a reason and have yet to really see what he can do because of his injury. It doesn't benefit us to get rid of him in anyway that I can see. If we take guys like Montee Ball or Travis Frederick, Ewing and Konz give them some familiarity that's really going to help our run game.

Edit: Also, anyone that feels the need to put 'Owned!' at the end of a reply shows a great level of immaturity. Just something to think about when you're considering how you present yourself publicly.

Dude it is a message board site who comes here to be mature? Lighten up! I'm debating four different people who can't get off the idea that I am cutting people who really had nothing to do with the season before. And not one person look to see how many people we normal cut in a season.

Now you are here and the only comment to the mock is that I'm cutting a 5th rounder from last year who never played. Kerry Meier, he's been on our roster for how many years same situation.

Thanks for your comments! Is that better for you?

Again none of these players leaving I consider drastic.

Ewing as before mention unknown what we have after the injury. Not opposed placing on the ps but really like Singleton as a short yardage back. 260 with 24 TDs just last year and 43 career TDs.

Matthews not enough room on the line with addition of Jenkins. He would be ranked as the sixth out six DE on the roster.

Palmer again is a numbers game, Watson the only real TE with big game experience. Escobar better prospects and that leaves either Coffman or Palmer which I personally like Coffman in our system.

Owens are you serious????????

Isn't that a huge amount of dead money against the cap for this year? Just a guess, but all the cuts are guys with signing bonus, right? I am no expert but those accelarated costs would have to be at least 15 million in dead money. That is probably way too much on the books and leave enough to pay Ryan, FA, and rookies. Where is the money coming from? Plus, why cut two DE's, two FB (Cox is a FA), Three CB, and two LB but keep 3 TE 's and only two QB's? That's too much overhaul and not enough guys for special teams....and no Julio ain't playing gunner!

we invested a fifth round pick in ewing, doubt we going to give up on him after just 1 year. they must have thought highly of him to invest a high pick in a fullback. i'd rather get Keller over Watson. would rather see a running back over a safety that early. I also prefer carradine to jenkins but that's just me.

Isn't that a huge amount of dead money against the cap for this year? Just a guess, but all the cuts are guys with signing bonus, right? I am no expert but those accelarated costs would have to be at least 15 million in dead money. That is probably way too much on the books and leave enough to pay Ryan, FA, and rookies. Where is the money coming from? Plus, why cut two DE's, two FB (Cox is a FA), Three CB, and two LB but keep 3 TE 's and only two QB's? That's too much overhaul and not enough guys for special teams....and no Julio ain't playing gunner!

Well let's look at the money the only people who still have any type of guarantee money left on the contract is Robinson and Turner. With Robinson the savings far out weight the cost, he is due $8 million this year which $2 million of it is guaranteed we save $6 million by cutting him prior to March 17th. Turner is owed $6.9 which we can save $5.5 if we cut him this year. That is $12.4 million is cap money only having $3.4 million in dead money. Everyone else is either a FA or is in the rookie contract which would could only be maybe an extra $1 million total.

This is not to mention the saving and flexibility it gives us 2014. I'm not certain of the fear with the moves, team play this game every year during this time.

we invested a fifth round pick in ewing, doubt we going to give up on him after just 1 year. they must have thought highly of him to invest a high pick in a fullback. i'd rather get Keller over Watson. would rather see a running back over a safety that early. I also prefer carradine to jenkins but that's just me.

Kory Beirmann is the only 5th rounder since TD has been GM that has played a major role on our team. This is the funny thing about the 5th rounders Robert James was taken ahead of Beirmann and everyone view James as an asset and want to upgrade over Beirmann which I find hilarious!!!!!!

We cut Franks last year after two years and he was a 5th rounder, it was only because we lose Grimes for the year we resigned him? I'm just saying.

As far as the preferences I mean I would be mad at any of the combinations, I sure if you asked a hundred people the questions at the two position you'll get a hundred different answers. It cool I can live with that.

I like Watson at the price and the commitment level only 2-3 year Keller will command more because of his age. Escobar is really my guy!!!!

I like Jenkins better because Carradine is coming off of a major knee injury.

I meant taking a fullback in the 5th round is pretty high for the position so they must have thought highly of him to take him there. I see what you getting at with Watson now but if we're getting Escobar anyway, not sure it's necessary to double up on the position. Roll with Escobar, Palmer and Coffman for a year.

I meant taking a fullback in the 5th round is pretty high for the position so they must have thought highly of him to take him there. I see what you getting at with Watson now but if we're getting Escobar anyway, not sure it's necessary to double up on the position. Roll with Escobar, Palmer and Coffman for a year.

Yeah but now that FB are cheap because the are somewhat being phased out of the formations not necessarily expensive to either get from FA or draft another in a later round. I like Singleton as a UDFA and had 24 TD's in one year which is crazy. If you get a chance watch highlight of this guy. Speed, power and size, not to mention has a pretty decent set of hand at 260.

I just think where this team is now there is no need to wait much of development/return from injury for unproven players. Again I find it funny we used a 1st on Jerry which no one has a problem cutting him but are outrage with the idea of cutting a 5th round FB who has never played a snap? Expectations I guess......

I also tried to do the same thing at the corner position with Gamble and the Slay/Hawthorne. Give them one maybe two years to groom under some very capable corner. This draft was more so about build depth and sustaining our success that will have may more impact in 2014 versus 2013. Like someone said before we were 13-3 we don't need a lot of change which is true but how good will we be in 2014 and there after. Too many time we put internal pressure on players that they are drafted high and have to perform well in their rookie year that if they don't they are considered a bust. Well now this team is in a place were we can acclimated them not only to the NFL but to the Falcons culture of winning.

So when someone makes the comment that there are no impact players in my draft, my question to them is what year are you looking at?

Guest King Jigsaw

Dude it is a message board site who comes here to be mature? Lighten up! I'm debating four different people who can't get off the idea that I am cutting people who really had nothing to do with the season before. And not one person look to see how many people we normal cut in a season.

Now you are here and the only comment to the mock is that I'm cutting a 5th rounder from last year who never played. Kerry Meier, he's been on our roster for how many years same situation.

Thanks for your comments! Is that better for you?

I just think where this team is now there is no need to wait much of development/return from injury for unproven players. Again I find it funny we used a 1st on Jerry which no one has a problem cutting him but are outrage with the idea of cutting a 5th round FB who has never played a snap? Expectations I guess......

I'm not picking up where the others left off, I didn't even read the whole argument because I don't care. I just was not a fan of cutting Ewing after one year that he didn't get to play. I don't think it helps our team in any way to get rid of him, that's all I was trying to say.

As for Jerry, it's not about where he was taken it's more about the fact that he's had time to prove that he was worth the high selection and has continuously failed to do so. The expectations to produce are extremely different for a 1st and 5th rounder. Even so, Jerry has showed he wasn't worth the pick and Ewing hasn't had a shot to show his worth yet because of the injury.

With as bad as our run game was, someone that can lead whoever our starting RB is next year through holes so we don't get embarrassed on 3rd/4th and 1's is someone I want on my roster.

Edited by King Jigsaw

I'm not picking up where the others left off, I didn't even read the whole argument because I don't care. I just was not a fan of cutting Ewing after one year that he didn't get to play. I don't think it helps our team in any way to get rid of him, that's all I was trying to say.

As for Jerry, it's not about where he was taken it's more about the fact that he's had time to prove that he was worth the high selection and has continuously failed to do so. The expectations to produce are extremely different for a 1st and 5th rounder. Even so, Jerry has showed he wasn't worth the pick and Ewing hasn't had a shot to show his worth yet because of the injury.

With as bad as our run game was, someone that can lead whoever our starting RB is next year through holes so we don't get embarrassed on 3rd/4th and 1's is someone I want on my roster.

Okay this is what I am not getting with the cry of value in holding on to a FB that was drafted in the 5th? You can sign a pro-bowl caliber FB for about 1.5 million per year (Reece, Vickers and Hester) which is only 1 million more than what we are paying Ewing? Everyone know it will take him another just to return to pre injury form. That is two year of virtually no production on a player who we have no clue how good he his even without the injury? Why? Look I feel sorry for the guy but to say that it so valuable has to be a joke right. I would rather sign Greg Jones who play under Koetter for 1.5 million annually then wait another year guessing.

According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, San Diego State TE Gavin Escobar has drawn some comparisons to Tony Gonzalez from league evaluators.

"He's a guy that some coaches and scouts are comparing to a Tony Gonzalez type," said Mayock. "That kind of skill set." Escobar weighed in at 6-foot-6, 254 pounds at the Combine, and has lengthy, 33 5/8-inch arms. He played a ton of slot and wide receiver at SDSU and is a sleeper to be a top-40 draft selection.

Wow image that!!!!!!!

Trimming the fat isn't letting 15 guys out of a 53 man roster walk thats like 30% of team that was 10 yards away from making the SB.

To me I agree the roster needs to be improved but getting rid of 30% of it would be a catastrophic mistake and bringing in guys who have to aclimate to how we do things and expect to go back to where we went this year.To me if we did what you propose you may as well dig the grave and I'll fill the dirt on top of you because you've buried us with this mock.

So looks like I wasn't too far off with trimming of the fat look!!!!!!

Abe>>>>>Matthews

Panthers released CB Chris Gamble.

The expected move creates $7.9 million in both cap space and cash savings. Gamble is still a fine cover corner, but was limited to four games by a shoulder injury last season. He's recovering from surgery, and is three days shy of his 30th birthday. The Panthers are left with one of the worst cornerback depth charts in the league, topped by Josh Norman and Josh Thomas. Gamble should draw healthy interest in free agency, but is entering a crowded corner market. A reunion with John Fox in Denver would make sense. Mar 8 - 11:49 AM

I'm just saying.......

• 4 weeks later...

So...... still don't think we are going to turnover 30% of our roster?

1. Turner

2. Abe

3. Clabo

4. Grimes

5. Owens

6. Robinson

7. Sidbury

8. Walker

9. McClure

10. Svitek

11. McCown

We have yet to re-sign

12. Cox

13. Peterson

14. Palmer

15. Hope

I'm just saying... Anybody got a shovel!!!!!!!

Panthers released CB Chris Gamble.

The expected move creates $7.9 million in both cap space and cash savings. Gamble is still a fine cover corner, but was limited to four games by a shoulder injury last season. He's recovering from surgery, and is three days shy of his 30th birthday. The Panthers are left with one of the worst cornerback depth charts in the league, topped by Josh Norman and Josh Thomas. Gamble should draw healthy interest in free agency, but is entering a crowded corner market. A reunion with John Fox in Denver would make sense. Mar 8 - 11:49 AM

I'm just saying.......

Chris Gamble is set to retire

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9039919/ex-carolina-panthers-cb-chris-gamble-retire-agent-carl-poston-says