Falcon Filter? Should We Get Rid Of It Or Scale It Back?

Hardyfalcon

Should we get rid of the Falcon Filter or scale it back?

It was originally a good idea for a team that doesn't have a strong locker room. Also we know that players with issues can tear bad teams apart. But we see teams like the Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, etc. pick up players with some sort of baggage and have success with them. In my mind it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of these type of players, especially on defense.

We need some nasty players on our defense. Some talent is just too good to pass up but our Filter says NO.

Since we have a strong team and solid locker room, what do you think about the Falcon Filter?

I think our draft filosophy is fine, we just dont get those diva types of players. I dont care how good a player is, if hes all about himself then it only hurts the team. Some can be overcome with good quality surrounding cast, butmany cant be fixed and will only hurt the team. Even good character guys can have a nasty attitude on the field.

I think with our strong lockerroom and leadership, along with our veterans in place, we can afford to take a chance or two on guys with higher "character issues". Don't think we should get rid of it or take a chance on just anybody with talent though. We have great chemistry on our team and there is no need to go mess it up by taking "divas" or players that will negatively impact our locker room.

I think a lot of people assume any time we lose it was because we're soft or something like that. Way too much focus on projecting a media image rather than just getting it done. The Falcon Filter is really something we've created in our heads rather than see any actual application of it by our team. We just assume any time we don't pick up a guy with a spotted history it was simply because of that, but then again sometimes I think some people want a team full of guys who spend as much time in jail as they do on the field. They're entertained by the media circus atmosphere.

We have to many nice guys on defence .I want some thugs out there. Give me a James Harrison type player any day of the week. Who was the last player on our team to put fear into an opposing team? Lawyer Milloy, maybe.

Get rid of this supposed "filter", and take some chances.

i dont know man chris hope made victor cruz think twice before coming across the middle.

I think a lot of people assume any time we lose it was because we're soft or something like that. Way too much focus on projecting a media image rather than just getting it done. The Falcon Filter is really something we've created in our heads rather than see any actual application of it by our team. We just assume any time we don't pick up a guy with a spotted history it was simply because of that, but then again sometimes I think some people want a team full of guys who spend as much time in jail as they do on the field. They're entertained by the media circus atmosphere.

I think quite the opposite. Some are wanting us to go after a guy or two that is quite talented that may have a spotted history. We ain't talking about murders and rapist. But is a guy has been arrest because he has stolen a candy bar from the local department store isn't anything to worry about. I don't think anybody has stated they want a field full of ex-cons.

We have to many nice guys on defence .I want some thugs out there. Give me a James Harrison type player any day of the week. Who was the last player on our team to put fear into an opposing team? Lawyer Milloy, maybe.

Get rid of this supposed "filter", and take some chances.

I would be willing to bet opposing wide receivers fear DRob and Moore.

Anyone else think its more coaching rather than a supposed filter? I mean we are coached to keep our heads and not beat ourselves which helps in the 16 game season but once the playoffs come and nasty takes over and refs don't throw as many flags were severely disadvantaged?

I could be crazy here but just a thought, I mean you can have the least amount of penalties but in the playoffs you can get away with more so its no advantage but is in the regular season.

I just can't get that incident with Samuel picking brees and being told off, ill take a pick and confidence over 15 yards all day. Same as a personal foul that makes a QB or WR scared for the rest of the game.

The term Falcon Filter was derived by Rich McKay. If you read "The Draft" by Pete Wilson, You'll see that - contrary to the common view - the filter doesn't sifts out low character players that we won't draft. It actually does the opposite. It filters out the 6-8 players players the draft who score the very top marks on every one of the character traits that we most covet.

I don't have an issue with character based drafting, but I do think that we place a bit too much emphasis on character and special teams ability. If you look back at recent draft, it's clear that that regime really covets a certain type of player - academic, high motor, team captain types who were productive at whatever level they played at. I just wish at times that we'd go for more players who played college ball productively at the highest level ,even if they aren't necessarily the academic, team captain types, as long as they don't have significant red flags. I'd prefer to roll the dice a bit more, rather than taking low risk, low ceiling guys from the smaller colleges, just because they are the character type that we want.