2. Julio Jones___________2. Peter Konz___

3. Akeem Dent__________3. Lamar Holmes

4. Julio Jones____________4. Julio JOnes__

5. Jacquizz Rodgers______5. Bradie Ewing

_______________________5. Jonathan Massaquoi

6. Matt Bosher___________6. Charles Mitchell

7. Andrew Jackson_______7. Travian Robertson

7. Cliff Matthews__________________________

This is not a critique of the Julio Jones trade. Just a statement of reality.

In the last two years:

The Falcons have spent 10 of fifteen total draft picks on offense.

The Falcons have spent both 1st round draft picks on offense.

The Falcons have spent both 2nd round draft picks on offense.

The Falcons have spent 9 of their top 10 draft picks on offense.

Meanwhile,

The Falcons best Defensive End is 34 years old.

The Falcons best Defensive Tackle is 31 years old.

The Falcons best Cornerback is 32 years old.

The Falcons other starting corner is 31 years old in April.

Even Brent Grimes, if resigned, will be 30 years old when the next season starts.

The point I am getting at is........Are you guys freaking serious with wanting to spend the first round draft pick on an offensive player?????

I would turn in my resignation letter if I was Mike Nolan and the Falcons did that. His reputation as a great defensive coach already took one big hit last month. He is going to be in a hopeless situation if the Falcons don't get some high grade talent in there.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton, I understand what you're saying and I agree. But what if they signed a FA that Nolan wanted? Would you think it'd be a good idea then to pick up the BPA in the first, even if he plays offense?

If Lacey is available when they pick, I understand it's going to be hard not to take him.

They'd have to have a helluva succesful FA period for me to feel good about it though.

2011___________________2012_________

1. Julio Jones___________1. Julio Jones__

In the last two years:

Meanwhile,

Even Brent Grimes, if resigned, will be 30 years old when the next season starts.

The point I am getting at is........Are you guys freaking serious with wanting to spend the first round draft pick on an offensive player?????

I would turn in my resignation letter if I was Mike Nolan and the Falcons did that. His reputation as a great defensive coach already took one big hit last month. He is going to be in a hopeless situation if the Falcons don't get some high grade talent in there.

And yet you blame the Defense for our losses, when the front office has focused so much on offense and they scored 0 points in the half and turned the ball over twice.

And yet you blame the Defense for our losses, when the front office has focused so much on offense and they scored 0 points in the half and turned the ball over twice.

Everybody gets some blame for the loss. It's just obvious we need to spend our top draft picks on defense. I don't understand how their is even debate about it really.

I agree the defense needs help. They are designed to be fast and hardhitting to defend againts the pass when your maintaining a lead.

My argument is that the best way to make tem better is to give them a running game so that teams are forced to be one-dimensional against them. IT WORKS AND WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. Look at the Taints and the Packers and N.E. even. Their defenses are great on paper because their offenses forced their opponents to be one dimensional.

The most effective way to accomplish this is through drafting a better offensive line, it fixes 2 problems!

when u spend that much on the offense it **** sure better produce at least one second half score before ONE OUNCE of criticism gets levied against the defense.

It's not about criticism. The Falcons lost because they weren't good enough. The issue is what do the Falcons need to do to sustain their success.

In my opinion, drafting another offensive player in the first round is going to be a step towards becoming a mediocre football team again.

sums it up . I don't see how anyone who criticizes the defense be a fan of Julio trade. Unless they think a GM can bat a 1000

I've always thought the Falcons gave up too much to get Julio.

That being said, they were one play away from making the Super Bowl, and he was a big part of the reason they were.

If Lacey is available when they pick, I understand it's going to be hard not to take him.

They'd have to have a helluva succesful FA period for me to feel good about it though.

Yeah this ^ If Lacey is somehow available and they take him with their 1st they better

have fortified the D in FA, would be insane to go into next season with basically the same

patched up defense. That would be the end of our "window" and we would be facing a total

D rebuild the next year and by the time they get good the offen......nevermind I'm getting

depressed here.

2011___________________2012_________

1. Julio Jones___________1. Julio Jones__

In the last two years:

Meanwhile,

This is sad .....are you trying to make me cry ? ....sad.png

I've always thought the Falcons gave up too much to get Julio.

That being said, they were one play away from making the Super Bowl, and he was a big part of the reason they were.

That could very be the mountain top and as far as we can go. Falcons will need a major retooling and with limited cap and the prospects of having to pay Ryan top tier $ the 10 yards away could be the closest we will ever come. You have to figure a drop off from Tony G and Turner gone. I know Turner wasn't great this past season but over last 4 he was a productive rb. Plus the many things you pointed out about our defense old in some spots

If we are going to win a Super Bowl it will be because of Ryan, Roddy and Julio

and Nolan trying to retool this defense

page 2 the rest of the story (Check the 09 draft)

08,09,10 10 O 17 D

Draft 6O 6D

FAs 1O 2D Turner--- Wire Foxworth

Draft 1O 7D

FA 2O 1D Gonzalez Svitek-- B Williams

Draft 3O 4D

FA 1D Robinson

FA 2 D Peterson Edwards

!2

FA 1O 2D Cox --- Samuel McClain

FA==includes FA and trades and #s are debatable

Edited by delaigle

I agree with you, but to be fair, we've spent early picks on defense in years prior. Unfortunately, Spoon panned out and Jerry was a complete waste of a pick, so we have some holes to fill. Also, too many of our mid- to late- round defensive picks haven't worked out. Owens was a third, I believe. Franks was what, a fourth? We have some prospects on the d-line, but Sidbury can't seem to get significant playing time. Realistically, Bierman, Peters and Walker are the only mid- to late- rounders that panned out for us. Everything else has been a wash, so you really need the first picks to contribute. When 1 is a good player and the other is a bust, that sets you back a bit.

Moore has been solid (he makes me feel better about Jerry coming out of that same draft), so there's always that.

I agree with you, but to be fair, we've spent early picks on defense in years prior. Unfortunately, Spoon panned out and Jerry was a complete waste of a pick, so we have some holes to fill. Also, too many of our mid- to late- round defensive picks haven't worked out. Owens was a third, I believe. Franks was what, a fourth? We have some prospects on the d-line, but Sidbury can't seem to get significant playing time. Realistically, Bierman, Peters and Walker are the only mid- to late- rounders that panned out for us. Everything else has been a wash, so you really need the first picks to contribute. When 1 is a good player and the other is a bust, that sets you back a bit.

Moore has been solid (he makes me feel better about Jerry coming out of that same draft), so there's always that.

Despite the title of the thread, it wasn't really meant as a criticism of what the Falcons have done the last two years, although there were a couple of picks that I just thought were terrible picks, but the thread was meant more to paint a picture of which direction we need to go this year.

As if the playoff games didn't make that obvious enough.

Despite the title of the thread, it wasn't really meant as a criticism of what the Falcons have done the last two years, although there were a couple of picks that I just thought were terrible picks, but the thread was meant more to paint a picture of which direction we need to go this year.

As if the playoff games didn't make that obvious enough.

Absolutely agree there. We need more talent on defense. Some of the guys we've picked are good depth but you don't want them starting (Owens is a great example of that). Especially on the lines -- we have to find a pass rush come hook or crook. Jerry was supposed to help with that, so we're starting in a hole to begin with.

You look at a team like Ravens and Ozzie Newsome. They didnt feel the need to get Flacco a stud wr. They gave him Torrey Smith, Boldin and Jones. They didnt spend 5 draft picks on next stud wr cause they stood true to their beliefs. Balance offense and good defense . Falcons never needed Julio to win a Super Bowl. All they needed was a good 2wr and help on the trenches with dline and Oline talent .