Maybe We Wouldn't Have Given Up Those Leads If We Had A Running Game

Jaymadd

What up my good people. I have been clammoring for the Falcons to spend that 1st round pick on Warford, especially since we dont have a good track record with picking defensive players LOL. Imagine if the Falcons would have had a running game throughout the season. I believe that part of the reason why we could not sustain a lead was due to the fact that our run game was the worst it has ever been since TD and Smith took over. If we had a Dominant Oline then maybe we could have used more clock to hold off those 2nd half comebacks. I know that we need to get better on defense, but I still believe that if we had a better run game then maybe we could have seen some different results in the playoffs against Seattle and San Fran. We had series were we only ran a small amount of time off the clock and their offenses had the ball back. This is part of the reason why I feel like we need to go ahead and use one high pick to shore up our Oline with a STUD like Warford.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Packers didn't have a running game in 2010 and they had no problem maintaining their lead against us.

Catr9G9.jpg

Their running game acutally did pretty welll in the playoffs, which is a reason why they had soo much success in the playoffs. James Starks went off in the playoffs, my friend.

What up my good people. I have been clammoring for the Falcons to spend that 1st round pick on Warford, especially since we dont have a good track record with picking defensive players LOL. Imagine if the Falcons would have had a running game throughout the season. I believe that part of the reason why we could not sustain a lead was due to the fact that our run game was the worst it has ever been since TD and Smith took over. If we had a Dominant Oline then maybe we could have used more clock to hold off those 2nd half comebacks. I know that we need to get better on defense, but I still believe that if we had a better run game then maybe we could have seen some different results in the playoffs against Seattle and San Fran. We had series were we only ran a small amount of time off the clock and their offenses had the ball back. This is part of the reason why I feel like we need to go ahead and use one high pick to shore up our Oline with a STUD like Warford.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd

Agreed. We were the only team in the championship games without a running game. Of course both teams in the Bowl had one.

Their running game acutally did pretty welll in the playoffs, which is a reason why they had soo much success in the playoffs. James Starks went off in the playoffs, my friend.

25 carries for 66 yards against the Falcons in 2010 for an average of 2.6 yards. Both Turner and Quizz had better ypc than Starks in this year's playoffs. So where was that running game again?

Edited by Falconine

25 carries for 66 yards against the Falcons in 2010 for an average of 2.6 yards. Both Turner and Quizz had better ypc than Starks in this year's playoffs. So where was that running game again?

Why would a team run against us when in 2010 our pass defense was terrible, but overall they had a good run game in the playoffs

All im saying is the best way to imporve our defense without reshaping the entire mantra ( which i do not see being possible) is to improve our run game. If we could have ran the ball more efficiently, we would have been in much better shape.

Also we would be champions right now if the offense would have scored once in the 2nd half, and not coughed up the ball when trying to throw with a lead.

This thread is just kind of silly since the Falcons held a 5 minute time of possession advantage over the Niners, held the ball for more than half of the third quarter, and only had 1 three and out the entire football game.

I mean, obviously the answer for the Falcons is more talent on defense. This team is going to go backwards in a hurry if it does not get it.

We had more than enough offense and running game to win. They just froze 2 weeks in a row. 12 incompletions for the whole game is hardly a big difference-maker in terms of time.

Incompletions stop the clock, and it really depends on when those 12 incompletions happen because if we had 10 instead of 12 at those key moments then maybe it would have been a different outcome

they turned the ball over in the niners half of the field because they were one dimensional on offense due to a lack of a running game.

The defense gave up 14 points in the 2nd half. The offense is to blame when they are paid and superstars on that side of the ball. The Defense cannot be much better when were geared towards being an "explosive offense" (see trading 5 picks for a WR)

Again a better running game lets dominate, our defense can then have opponents forced to become one dimensional themselves

This thread is just kind of silly since the Falcons held a 5 minute time of possession advantage over the Niners, held the ball for more than half of the third quarter, and only had 1 three and out the entire football game.

I mean, obviously the answer for the Falcons is more talent on defense. This team is going to go backwards in a hurry if it does not get it.

IN the 2nd half we could not move the ball until late in the 4th Quarter. We were hardly able to run the ball and couldnt even make it to mid field. So big deal if we were able to get 1 first down, still were not able to run the ball when we needed too.

Turner had his best playoff game ever in the win, and then got hurt in the the loss. Thinks it's really likely that the Falcons win if Turner stays healthy.

Sad that two of the main players that got the Falcons to the playoffs the last few years- Turner and Abe, were both injured and couldn't contribute in the playoff loss.

Turner had his best playoff game ever in the win, and then got hurt in the the loss. Thinks it's really likely that the Falcons win if Turner stays healthy.

Sad that two of the main players that got the Falcons to the playoffs the last few years- Turner and Abe, were both injured and couldn't contribute in the playoff loss.

Bruh Turner is done, why to much money to play for his production and talent at this moment in his career

IN the 2nd half we could not move the ball until late in the 4th Quarter. We were hardly able to run the ball and couldnt even make it to mid field. So big deal if we were able to get 1 first down, still were not able to run the ball when we needed too.

The Falcons defense is a terrible combination of bad and old. The notion that the Falcons would spend there first pick on a Guard makes me feel like I am in the twilight zone.

Bruh Turner is done, why to much money to play for his production and talent at this moment in his career

Oh, agree completely that Turner should be gone and...

Wasn't talking about the future, just the immediate past. Couple of big runs from Turner in the second half of the 49er game make all the difference in the world.

The Falcons defense is a terrible combination of bad and old. The notion that the Falcons would spend there first pick on a Guard makes me feel like I am in the twilight zone.

YOu have to ask yourself which position will have the greatest impact and increase our chances of getting to the Superbowl, especially given where we are picking. Guards usually have the shortest learning curve, especially a draft pick that has played that position majority of his college career. I think we have forced our hand again when it comes to defense, we have to go to the FA market if we are looking for immediate improvement along our Dline, mainly due to Edwards being a complete bust. I do agree that we need to get younger on defense and we need to use majority of our picks on defense, but I just think that getting a Guard 1st will have a much better impact on our team overall compared to drafting a DE with our 1st pick.

Incompletions stop the clock, and it really depends on when those 12 incompletions happen because if we had 10 instead of 12 at those key moments then maybe it would have been a different outcome

Only 5 incompletions in the 2nd half. That doesn't save much time. SF would have used timeouts on the last drive and left us with no time to drive back down the field.

Ideally you want more of a ground game for the physical benefits of wearing down the d-line. We had 475 yards of offense, which should have been enough for the #5 scoring defense.

Only 5 incompletions in the 2nd half. That doesn't save much time. SF would have used timeouts on the last drive and left us with no time to drive back down the field.

Ideally you want more of a ground game for the physical benefits of wearing down the d-line. We had 475 yards of offense, which should have been enough for the #5 scoring defense.

It might have been harder for the defense to stop us if we werent one dimensional and had a run game. Are you going to deny that the outcome of the game would have been the same if the Falcons had a Oline that could consistently open holes for even Turner to run through? Please answer the question without trying to be a smart as LOL. ( I know you dude)

Jaymadd,

the problem is, our offense will never be good enough to cover up that we have NO DEFENSE. While I love Matt Ryan and he is my favorite player - the combo. of him (sometimes he goes cold at the worst times) and Mike Smith (Coach "Try to kill Clock w/ 1/2 a game left") - we will never be able to protect a lead.

Making the offense better is not going to have as big an impact as fixing the defense - IMHO. Falcons are better and dynamic on offense but we will never be in the Patriots/Packers class IMO.