Andy Levitre

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

Initially I thought there was a 100% chance Levitre re-signed with BUF, but he's recently come out to say he'll test the market and consider the best offer, and surprisingly the Bills haven't even talked to him about a new contract yet. I think we should make a run for him. He's a pretty good pass blocker, and he's even better in the run game. He'd improve our WHOLE defense, and would be a definite upgrade from Reynolds. We'd have a presence at RG that we haven't had since Dahl left, and I think it'd be a pretty good idea to sign him. He's versatile and has played C, T, and both guard positions. We may not offer him some contract for more money than he's worth like some bottom feeder team would, but ATL should be attractive to free agents looking to join a constantly contending team. I think we'd have a legit shot at making him a Falcon.

What say you?

I don't think we can fix every single hole with a draft pick or a F/A acquisition. I think somebody that's already on the roster has to step up. To me, RG needs to be that position. We have Reynolds, PK Manley, Johnson, and a couple dudes on the practice squad that are all guards. On top of that, we drafted Holmes in the third round, and I'm hoping he'll step in somewhere.

To answer your question, I think that getting into a bidding war for Levitre is a mistake. I could see us drafting a guard, especially if Warford or Fluker are at our first pick, but I don't see us obtaining one via free agency. We need to be frugal where we're able.

To be honest, I'm not sure why everyone seems to want this guy. Don't get me wrong, he's a great OG, but right now we need a RG, and he's played at LG his entire career. Also, from everything that I've seen and read, he's better at pass blocking than run blocking, as you would expect from someone who has only played that position and is right about 305. I'm not saying that he couldn't play RG, I'm just not sure why so many seem to be assuming that he'll be just as good at RG as he has been at LG, when that's the only side that he's ever played on. Oh, and the same goes for Brandon Moore from the Jets as well.

Our running game sucked with Reynolds in the lineup. I don't see him as the answer at RG next yr or any other year after that. We couldn't run it with him or without him so that leads me to believe someone new has to be put in the lineup for things to change.

Edited by treboyplay

I really like him but he'll be pricey for a guard. If we did sign him he'll probably stay on the left side and we can move Blalock to the right (which may suit him more). It's not a bad idea if he wants to play for a contender by taking a little less coin then we can focus heavily on D in the draft that may work out very well.

Our running game sucked with Reynolds in the lineup. I don't see him as the answer at RG next yr or any other year after that. We couldn't run it with him or without him so that leads me to believe someone new has to be put in the lineup for things to change.

I am glad someone else sees this besides me regarding Reynolds. He needs to be replaced and getting a good RG is just as important as getting a DE/DT to upgrade IMO. We need to be able to run the ball, which might be a reason why teams were able to come back on us when we had a lead. But to the OP we should not pursue Levitre, especially when we could get a stud at 30.

I don't think we can fix every single hole with a draft pick or a F/A acquisition. I think somebody that's already on the roster has to step up. To me, RG needs to be that position. We have Reynolds, PK Manley, Johnson, and a couple dudes on the practice squad that are all guards. On top of that, we drafted Holmes in the third round, and I'm hoping he'll step in somewhere.

To answer your question, I think that getting into a bidding war for Levitre is a mistake. I could see us drafting a guard, especially if Warford or Fluker are at our first pick, but I don't see us obtaining one via free agency. We need to be frugal where we're able.

^^^this.

This is very well said, Sven - good job! Of all the holes in Falcons lineup from last year - Right Guard is the one which we should be able to fill from within. With McClure likely not re-signed and Konz kicked inside to guard, there are simply too many options to man the right guard slot - Clabo(Holmes going to RT), Reynolds(re-signed) or Phillip Keith-Manley(man-child on practice squad). That is three opportunities to fill this spot and potentially upgrade from last year.

Falcons need to re-sign Baker/Reynolds and find the "best five" on O-Line and focus on front 7 and a corner for the defense.

^^^this.

This is very well said, Sven - good job! Of all the holes in Falcons lineup from last year - Right Guard is the one which we should be able to fill from within. With McClure likely not re-signed and Konz kicked inside to guard, there are simply too many options to man the right guard slot - Clabo(Holmes going to RT), Reynolds(re-signed) or Phillip Keith-Manley(man-child on practice squad). That is three opportunities to fill this spot and potentially upgrade from last year.

Falcons need to re-sign Baker/Reynolds and find the "best five" on O-Line and focus on front 7 and a corner for the defense.

We have been through 4-5 lineman since Dahl left at the Right Guard position. WE have two spots that need to be shored up, Center and RG. Reynolds is not a Guard, he is a tackle that we have tried to force at Guard. He fits a little but not all the way. Reynolds struggles against power, which is why he struggles run blocking, and he plays the position that usually goes up against the NT. I would rather have Reynolds as a LG instead of a RG, because he is a better pass blocker. Reynolds is a RT playing Guard. Maybe we are keeping Reynolds around to take over for Clabo at RT which I have no problem with in the future, but we need a Stud and Reynolds is not one.