Dmn... Just A Knife In The Heart From Tatf

Falconcheff

or maybe both sides have about equal blame for the nearly blowing it against Seattle and then blowing it against the 49ers but its easier to throw all the blame at the defense because to do otherwise is being critical of the top players on your team that you all love

or maybe both sides have about equal blame for the nearly blowing it against Seattle and then blowing it against the 49ers but its easier to throw all the blame at the defense because to do otherwise is being critical of the top players on your team that you all love

except i didn't put all the blame on the defense. most =/= all....

mostly could mean anything from 51% of the blame to 99% of the blame. this started in response to the claim that the defense was not to blame b/c it was fifth in scoring in the regular season, as if that had anything to do with what happened in the playoffs while simultaneously blaming the qb that was the 5th rated passer in the regular season.

except i didn't put all the blame on the defense. most =/= all

it shouldn't be even most

there is no damned excuse for the offensive performance we saw two weeks in a row in the second half.

also, keep in mind we are talking about the same defense that shut down two playoff teams in the first half two weeks in a row.

your problem on defense is coaching and lack of adjustments...nothing more, nothing less

it shouldn't be even most

there is no damned excuse for the offensive performance we saw two weeks in a row in the second half.

also, keep in mind we are talking about the same defense that shut down two playoff teams in the first half two weeks in a row.

your problem on defense is coaching and lack of adjustments...nothing more, nothing less

14 points in the first half = shut down?

falcons offense was 7th in the league in ppg.... so doesn't the same logic as to why the defense couldn't be the problem also apply to the offense? or is the difference from 5th to 7th enough to change the rules?

I really don't know what you want me to say. Okay your 7th ppg offense and 5th scoring defense blew it against the 49ers. There, happy now? Both sides screwed up, I'm not solely blaming the offense I'm just saying they played a huge part by not pulling their weight in the 2nd half since so many around here just want to blame the defense. Once again, you quoted me, and asked me for my opinion when I hadn't even mentioned the NFCCG. Not sure why you want to make an argument about it, but whatever. Honestly, I don't give a flying **** about the Falcons (okay, I lied. I dislike the Falcons just like any rival fan should)... in fact, I laughed my *** off when Matty Ice fumbled that snap and I'd expect you all to do the same if Cam ever finds himself in the same situation.

I really don't know what you want me to say. Okay your 7th ppg offense and 5th scoring defense blew it against the 49ers. There, happy now? Both sides screwed up, I'm not solely blaming the offense I'm just saying they played a huge part by not pulling their weight in the 2nd half since so many around here just want to blame the defense. Once again, you quoted me, and asked me for my opinion when I hadn't even mentioned the NFCCG. Not sure why you want to make an argument about it, but whatever. Honestly, I don't give a flying **** about the Falcons (okay, I lied. I dislike the Falcons just like any rival fan should)... in fact, I laughed my *** off when Matty Ice fumbled that snap and I'd expect you all to do the same if Cam ever finds himself in the same situation.

agree

24 points would have been enough points to win 9 of the last 13 nfccgs.

spin, spin, spin with your falcon hate.

24 wouldn't have been enough to even get to the NFCCG most of those years though. There is more than one game in the playoffs.

What am I spinning? Is it not true that the Falcons gave up less total yards, less points, and less first downs than any other team that the 9ers faced in the playoffs? What part of that is untrue?

Edited by NYG4

Boom.

There it is though.

All debate aside we are pretty much set on offense , we will need a little help at RG , a TE ( possibly ) , and a RB. Our complete lack of a pass rush in the playoffs was an embarrassment. Our defensive break down in both games was an embarrassment. Our 'probowl' safety played like ish. One of our linebackers played like ish. I think bottom line we need more defensive help then offensive no matter who you want to blame.

0 2nd half offensive points. ZERO. ZE-RO. zero

zero

zero

zero

No question we need defense but wtf was that.

That was Turner getting hurt and not having a run game, that was White falling down after Ryan had released the ball, that was HD stumbling on a pass that he takes to the house if he keeps his feet, that was Ryan playing the last 2 minutes of the game with a sprained left shoulder, that was Ryan fumbling a snap.

D & STs have their own litanies of what went wrong- abe being hurt, no halftime adjustments because they had nobody who could cover TEs, recovering the fumble at the one instead of in the end zone for a touchback...

During the year, there were several games where, when one side of the ball failed, the other picked up the slack, didn't happen in this game.

since you disqualified the defense as being a reason based on regular season stats, then you have to use regular season stats to answer the question.

The answer provided was for the question "what kept them out of the Super Bowl". Then you switch it back to "prove it in the regular season". Really?

Explain to me how anything done in the regular season contributed more to you missing the Super Bowl than your performance in the playoffs.

This should be good.

The answer provided was for the question "what kept them out of the Super Bowl". Then you switch it back to "prove it in the regular season". Really?

Explain to me how anything done in the regular season contributed more to you missing the Super Bowl than your performance in the playoffs.

This should be good.

the assertion was that the defense wasn't the problem b/c of their regular season performance. Given that culprits for a playoff game could be ruled out given their regular season performance, the next logical step would be to identify the culprits, however given the premise it necessitates the use of regular season stats.

the assertion was that the defense wasn't the problem b/c of their regular season performance. Given that culprits for a playoff game could be ruled out given their regular season performance, the next logical step would be to identify the culprits, however given the premise it necessitates the use of regular season stats.

A logical person would see "kept you out of the Super Bowl", gone to the NFC Championship, and used JUST that game to determine what kept you out of the Super Bowl. The regular season didnt keep you out of the Super Bowl, in fact it got you in the tournament. The only thing that kept you all out of the Super Bowl was losing the NFC Championship. Period.

So the ONLY logical answer to "what kept you out of the Super Bowl" is what caused you to lose that one game. Nothing else.

A logical person would see "kept you out of the Super Bowl", gone to the NFC Championship, and used JUST that game to determine what kept you out of the Super Bowl. The regular season didnt keep you out of the Super Bowl, in fact it got you in the tournament. The only thing that kept you all out of the Super Bowl was losing the NFC Championship. Period.

So the ONLY logical answer to "what kept you out of the Super Bowl" is what caused you to lose that one game. Nothing else.

precisely my point. thus the fact that the defense gave up 18.7 or whatever it was in ppg during the regular season is irrelevant.

See, this is the problem with jumping to conclusions and assuming you knew what my "assertion" was with that comment. In fact, I didn't even have the NFCCG or playoffs in mind when I made my original comment. So... let me clarify a bit.

I was referring to this part of his post (more specifically the part in bold with the opening line of my comment):

There’s a saying that when you miss very poorly on a 1st round draft pick (especially an early one) that it will set your franchise back almost 5 years. How long has this defense been struggling again?

Not this part:

Just a well-written indictment of our drafting woes, and why our defense has kept us from that elusive SB...

At first I was a bit confused in why you called me out like you did, but now I get it. I thought with the whole context of my post it was pretty clear what I was talking about... sooo, sorry about that? ****, most of my post wasn't even about the Falcon's D but Hurney's dumba$$ drafting.

Bottom line, I was trying to make the point that your defense, on average, only giving up 18.7 pts/game isn't exactly "struggling" like the OP stated. The 2012 Saints Defense giving up 28.4 points and 440 yards per game is what I would classify as struggling.

Edited by PantherBlack

See, this is the problem with jumping to conclusions and assuming you knew what my "assertion" was with that comment. In fact, I didn't even have the NFCCG or playoffs in mind when I made my original comment. So... let me clarify a bit.

I was referring to this part of his post (more specifically the part in bold with the opening line of my comment):

Not this part:

At first I was a bit confused in why you called me out like you did, but now I get it. I thought with the whole context of my post it was pretty clear what I was talking about... sooo, sorry about that? ****, most of my post wasn't even about the Falcon's D but Hurney's dumba$$ drafting.

Bottom line, I was trying to make the point that your defense, on average, only giving up 18.7 pts/game isn't exactly "struggling" like the OP stated. The 2012 Saints Defense giving up 28.4 points and 440 yards per game is what I would classify as struggling.

thanks for clarifying, and believe me, i wasn't jumping all over your case..... it was just discussion. I took the comment of "kept us from the superbowl" as meaning what happened in the NFC CG. when you said the defense was fine (not your exact words) I disagreed, and opened a line of discussion.... that is all. no hard feelings, no attacks, nothing more then that.

thanks for clarifying, and believe me, i wasn't jumping all over your case..... it was just discussion. I took the comment of "kept us from the superbowl" as meaning what happened in the NFC CG. when you said the defense was fine (not your exact words) I disagreed, and opened a line of discussion.... that is all. no hard feelings, no attacks, nothing more then that.

Haha it's cool man, I enjoy a good discussion about football anyways. I was just a bit confused during most of that whole conversation since I just took it as you asking me for my opinion... seems like we both went into it with different ideas of what we were talking about. No problem though.

That was Turner getting hurt and not having a run game, that was White falling down after Ryan had released the ball, that was HD stumbling on a pass that he takes to the house if he keeps his feet, that was Ryan playing the last 2 minutes of the game with a sprained left shoulder, that was Ryan fumbling a snap.

D & STs have their own litanies of what went wrong- abe being hurt, no halftime adjustments because they had nobody who could cover TEs, recovering the fumble at the one instead of in the end zone for a touchback...

During the year, there were several games where, when one side of the ball failed, the other picked up the slack, didn't happen in this game.

Don't remind me about that though it needed to be said. It just pisses me off. laugh.png