Two Mistakenly Shot During Frantic Lapd Manhunt

enhanced-buzz-9300-1360270270-16.jpg

Law enforcement officers look over the scene of an officer involved shooting in Torrance, Calif., Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013. Credit: AP - Chris Carlson.

"I will bring unconventional and asymmetrical warfare to those in LAPD uniform whether on or off duty," Christopher Dorner threatened in a manifesto posted online. LAPD Chief Charlie Beck called the ex-LAPD officer's rampage, a "vendetta against all of Southern California law enforcement."

Dorner is believed to be responsible for at least three deaths so far, and southern California law enforcement are scared for their own lives and the lives of their families — so scared that they may be shooting innocent people.

Already two innocent women driving a car similar to Dorner's have been shot by anxious police officers. Beck confirmed that at 5:15am on Thursday officers fired on a vehicle matching the description of the suspect's. "Tragically, we believe that this was a case of mistaken identity by the officers," Beck said Thursday.

Beck described the shooting as occurring within the patrol area of one of the security details dispatched to protect those threatened by Dorner's manifesto, "one of the people that was under the most serious level of threat," Beck said.

He continued, "The LAPD officers assigned observed a vehicle matching the suspect's vehicle driving down the street with the lights turned out. Officers approached the vehicle and an officer-involved shooting occurred. Individuals in that vehicle were hit by gunfire; both were transported to the hospital."

Those women, it appears, were delivering newspapers.

One of the victims sustained a minor gunshot wound, and is in the process of being released. Beck said the second victim is "in stable condition" with two gunshot wounds.

The L.A. Times is reporting a second shooting, with no injuries involved, also took place in Torrance this morning.

Speaking of Dorner, Chief Beck said, "He knows what he's doing — we trained him. He was also a member of the armed forces. It is extremely worrisome and scary — especially to the police officers involved."

"We have a trained and heavily armed person who is hunting for police officers," Chief Sergio Diaz of the Riverside Police Department said, sounding a similar note at separate a press conference Thursday morning. "This is somewhat unprecedented."

Asked whether or not police consider themselves under attack, Riverside Lt. Guy Toussaint answered, "Yes I do."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tessastuart/two-mistakenly-shot-during-frantic-lapd-during-manhunt

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they were actually shooting Bonnie and Clyde when they ambushed those two. Look at that truck. There are at least 30 bullet holes in that vehicle. Policing in this country is a serious problem. No more "100,000 new officers" campaigns please. Cant we focus on retaining and training quality officers instead of slapping uniforms on as many people as possible.

EDIT: Make that 50 or more bullet holes.

WTF! Two women delivering newspapers get attacked by police officers. One more reason not to live in California.

Edited by Flip Flop

Cops in the family so I understand the need to find this dude. But really? This is crazy! I get that they are on edge, but that still doesn't give them the right to just shoot first and ID later.

There has got to be some common sense applied here. Seem to already be in cover up mode by releasing that 15 shots were fired, that ain't 15 shots, no way!

Can't imagine how terrified those ladies must have been. Hope their lawyers put it to this police departmentdry.png .

That wasn't the only pickup they shot at yesterday. Another case of mistaken identity....

130207-honda-shooting-lapd-hmed-5p.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

I bet people are leaving the pickup at home today...

LOL. Well he torched the pickup yesterday, so if the cups shoot any pickup trucks today, we know there is something wrong going on.

Cops in the family so I understand the need to find this dude. But really? This is crazy! I get that they are on edge, but that still doesn't give them the right to just shoot first and ID later.

There has got to be some common sense applied here. Seem to already be in cover up mode by releasing that 15 shots were fired, that ain't 15 shots, no way!

Can't imagine how terrified those ladies must have been. Hope their lawyers put it to this police departmentdry.png .

I have friends in law enforcement, and while I can certainly understand where it's coming from, the ones that I personally know want a heightened sense of justice to be applied when it comes to those who harm/kill cops. One of them, who is a high ranking official in law enforcement here, even talked to a group of politicians not too long ago about enacting a law for mandatory capital punishment for those convicted of killing cops.

That's the kind of mentality we're dealing with here.

I would think police officers are experts at the make model and year of vehicles. That's a ****ing Honda Ridgeline.

Here's what MSNBC had to say:

Less than a half-hour later, cops fired on another vehicle in Torrance, just two blocks away from the first scene, NBCLosAngeles.com reported. No one was injured in that vehicle, which was similar to Dorner's truck, police said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/07/16888732-women-shot-by-cops-were-just-delivering-papers?lite

Similar how? It was a pickup???

If Dorner is half as dumb as these cops he should be easy to catch as soon as he leaves LA and is pursued by someone a little more competent.

How do we even know that Dorner shot those cops? It could have been a case of mistaken identity.........

I don't know how to really feel about this story. Dorner seems to be legitimately devastated about the things that took place during his time with the LAPD. His approach is wrong, but this dude is out for vengeance. I wouldn't want to be one of the officers who screwed with him...

He certainly got a raw deal, but that doesn't excuse murder. Sounds like he worked out his insanity defense with the manifesto.

He certainly got a raw deal, but that doesn't excuse murder. Sounds like he worked out his insanity defense with the manifesto.

I'm with you. He shouldn't be out there killing people, but his motive and experiences seem to indicate that he has a real beef with the LAPD. This morning, they(our local Phoenix news) interviewed a former LAPD sarg. He indicated that everything Dorner accused the LAPD of is commonplace in that department (racial slurs, indiscriminate abuse), which is why he left.

Personally, I don't agree with him shooting and killing anyone. But in his mind, there is no other way. He isn't like you and me. He doesn't have a family. No kids. Loved his job, and that was "taken" from him. But he isn't crazy. He's Rambo.

I'm with you. He shouldn't be out there killing people, but his motive and experiences seem to indicate that he has a real beef with the LAPD. This morning, they(our local Phoenix news) interviewed a former LAPD sarg. He indicated that everything Dorner accused the LAPD of is commonplace in that department (racial slurs, indiscriminate abuse), which is why he left.

Personally, I don't agree with him shooting and killing anyone. But in his mind, there is no other way. He isn't like you and me. He doesn't have a family. No kids. Loved his job, and that was "taken" from him. But he isn't crazy. He's Rambo.

That's funny, I was thinking this morning that the whole thing reminded me of First Blood.

Another important detail. He's not religous. Lack of religion means he isn't worried about what happens when he meets his maker, because he doesn't think he will.

He didn't seem insane. He seemed like a guy who sat down and wanted to clear anything he could possibly clear. From court cases to Bill Cosby.

I read the whole thing, and it was a fascinating read. The guy is clearly sane and knows exactly what he is doing.

It's not his intention to beat this at a trial. He knows this ends in his death.

I read the whole thing, and it was a fascinating read. The guy is clearly sane and knows exactly what he is doing.

It's not his intention to beat this at a trial. He knows this ends in his death.

It really was. I'm sort of astonished that the Fact-Checkers haven't came out about it. It seems pretty legit to me. The guy is gaining sort of a cult following now, and the LAPD is looking extremely bad...