Braves Got Worst?

Falconsfan567

This is why I don't like WAR. It really leaves too much open to interpretation, especially with young guys like Heyward and J. Upton. Chances are, Prado and Bourn would regress back to the mean, while Heyward certainly can improve on his 2012 season with a more advanced approach at the plate and even more developing power (sky is the limit for this kid) and B.J. will almost certainly be better (walks were way down from 2011 and he seemed to really be taking a liking to HRs over making solid contact). While in theory, it's a great way to show the effect a player had on a given season, in my opinion, it doesn't provide much of a future indicator. Especially for young guys.

This is why I don't like WAR. It really leaves too much open to interpretation, especially with young guys like Heyward and J. Upton. Chances are, Prado and Bourn would regress back to the mean, while Heyward certainly can improve on his 2012 season with a more advanced approach at the plate and even more developing power (sky is the limit for this kid) and B.J. will almost certainly be better (walks were way down from 2011 and he seemed to really be taking a liking to HRs over making solid contact). While in theory, it's a great way to show the effect a player had on a given season, in my opinion, it doesn't provide much of a future indicator. Especially for young guys.

I completely agree. That's why I'm a big OPS guy myself. I don't know how OPS+ works but I do know how OPS works and think it's a quality stat for showing just how good or bad a player was during a season.

And I looked at some of the comments and a Braves fan made a couple very good posts explaining why WAR isn't a very good stat to use to judge players and why the Braves might have really improved this season despite losing Prado and Chipper. Yes it sucks we don't have them anymore. But with our budget constraints if we still had Chipper and Prado we definitely wouldn't have both of the Uptons and maybe neither of them.

And as a huge BJ fan for a long time I think being in by far the best lineup he's ever been in will allow him to relax and get back to his 2007-2008 approach.

Not going to harp on it, but try to remember:

Worse - ends in an e and equates a specific thing to another. A relative comparison. Liver is worse than chicken, so forth.

Worst - is an absolute classification. It is the top of all bad thing. Ends in a T is the top of the list of bad things. Liver is the worst food ever, it is "worse" than every other food.

Worse is a comparison, Worst is a absolute definitive classification.

Hope that can help you remember.tongue.png

In the next post we will discuss "Then" and "Than" followed by "Your" and You're"

LOL

Worse - ends in an e and equates a specific thing to another. A relative comparison. Liver is worse than chicken, so forth.

Worst - is an absolute classification. It is the top of all bad thing. Ends in a T is the top of the list of bad things. Liver is the worst food ever, it is "worse" than every other food.

In the next post we will discuss "Then" and "Than" followed by "Your" and You're"

LOL

ph34r.png

LOL

Might as well throw in "affect" and "effect" for good measure.