Jonathan Hankins

hjerry

OK, so I've been seeing a lot of mock drafts that have Hankins dropping into the early 20s of the 1st round. Analysts seem to be split on whether he has been overtaken by Floyd and Richardson. Those that think he has see him slipping, while those that don't see him going around #10 like in earlier mocks. My question is this: If he dropped to #22 and the Rams were willing to let us move up in exchange for only our 2013 3rd, would you do it? Do you think that he would be worth it?

1st play

1. He wasn't double teamed. The RT had him, but the RG was free so he had the ability to bounce to the C or RT for help.

2. I probably should've specified, show me one example of Hankins stonewalling a double team like Sharrif Floyd, John Jenkins and Star Lotulelei do with regularity.

1. He wasn't double teamed. The RT had him, but the RG was free so he had the ability to bounce to the C or RT for help.

2. I probably should've specified, show me one example of Hankins stonewalling a double team like Sharrif Floyd, John Jenkins and Star Lotulelei do with regularity.

This is why I didn't want to actually respond to your post. Your question was loaded from the beginning and nothing that anyone posted was going to satisfy you. Don't ask a question if don't actually want an answer. Just say, "Hankins was never double teamed and everything that you can show me won't count" instead of asking a pointless question.

He mostly faced double teams for one thing.

How anyone can classify him as "a lazy teddy bear" is dumb. Tells me they haven't seen him play.

I never said he was a lazy teddy bear, simply that he is primarily a run stopper without much to offer in the pass rush department...very big difference. Great players get doubled all the time, if he can't handle doubles in college he will get his behind handed to him in the NFL.

If he has something to offer in the pass rushing department how do you explain 1 back and 1 QB pressure in 2012...a total of 4 sacks (1 vs Toledo, 1 vs Eastern Michigan) in 3 years. Everyone has their opinion on players, but I personally would much rather have a player who can hold up against the run and also bring some pressure vs the pass.

Edited by IA Falcon07

I never said he was a lazy teddy bear, simply that he is primarily a run stopper without much to offer in the pass rush department...very big difference. Great players get doubled all the time, if he can't handle doubles in college he will get his behind handed to him in the NFL.

If he has something to offer in the pass rushing department how do you explain 1 back and 1 QB pressure in 2012...a total of 4 sacks (1 vs Toledo, 1 vs Eastern Michigan) in 3 years. Everyone has their opinion on players, but I personally would much rather have a player who can hold up against the run and also bring some pressure vs the pass.

at #22 that can also play NG?

You didn't say he was a lazy teddy bear but another poster did.

He can handle it. Like you said he isn't some elite pass rusher but he gets push, despite the doubles.

Where did you find stats on QB pressures?

He brings pressure on the pass rush, whether it equals sacks or not. In 2011 he had 10 tfl.

I actually really like Walter's write up on Hankins.

2/1/13: Hankins started out the year extremely strongly for Ohio State. He was a monster in the middle of the line as a run-stuffer and a disruptive pass-rusher.

Hankins was a dominant force against California, among others. He totaled 10 tackles and a sack while making plays all over the field. Hankins made tackles outside of his gap. One was on a wide receiver screen on the perimeter. He was beating double-team blocks from a guard and center to stuff runs at the line of scrimmage.

Hankins' play cooled off some after a dominant September, but he still caused problems at the line of scrimmage and finished his collegiate career strong with a good performance against Michigan. Hankins totaled 55 tackles, four tackles for a loss and a sack.

8/25/12: Hankins is a massive tackle who takes up a lot of space and blockers at the point of attack. The sophomore had a strong 2011 season. He was a fabulous run-defender at that point of attack and totaled 67 tackles. Hankins also had 11 tackles for a loss and three sacks. He notched 16 tackles and a sack as a freshman.

Even though Hankins only had three sacks last year, he was a better pass-rusher than the numbers indicate. Hankins got good penetration into the pocket to hurry quarterbacks and take away space for them to step up in the pocket. He has serious quickness that he uses to fire into his gap and disrupt plays.

NFL coaches are going to love Hankins' versatility. He has played all over the defensive line. Hankins has lined up as a three-technique, on the outside shoulder of the guard; a two-gap defensive tackle technique; a defensive end; and the zero-technique - as a nose tackle above the center. Thus, he could fit as in a 4-3 as a defensive tackle, or in a 3-4 defense as a nose tackle or defensive end.

If Hankins becomes a more consistent pass-rusher and is able to produce a quality sack total, he could contend to be the top tackle selected. With Ohio State's new attacking defense, it wouldn't be surprising if the junior increases his sack production in 2012.

The main reason that I posted this isn't b/c I want it to happen, but rather, just that I could see it happening. Nolan wants a NT, and that is clear. What we do is FA will heavily affect who we draft but if Hankins is there at 22, I could really see this happening. The NT won't get a ton of sacks but he will draw the double teams to allow others to do so. Plus, he can play well in 4-3 looks as well. I'm not calling for this to happen, but I wouldn't be upset or surprised if it did.

sportsline.com had a very favorable review also which I agree with.

He has excellent feet for the position with very good first step quickness and get-off burst to knife through the line of scrimmage and make plays in the backfield.

He is fluid and rangy, dropping in coverage at times and making plays up and down the line of scrimmage. He looks smooth in space with flexible ankles to quickly redirect his momentum and move well in any direction to be a factor on just about every play.

He has versatility to play inside or outside, seeing a lot of time at both DE and DT in college, also playing on some special teams, blocking a field goal in 2012 (vs. Purdue). Hankins eats up multiple blocks and frequently attracts double-teams.

NFL Comparison: Brandon Mebane, DT, Seattle Seahawks - Like Mebane, Hankins is a tough run defender who can disrupt the pocket and dominate 1-on-1 blockers.

Edited by Kennesaw77

sportsline.com had a very favorable review also which I agree with.

He has excellent feet for the position with very good first step quickness and get-off burst to knife through the line of scrimmage and make plays in the backfield.

He is fluid and rangy, dropping in coverage at times and making plays up and down the line of scrimmage. He looks smooth in space with flexible ankles to quickly redirect his momentum and move well in any direction to be a factor on just about every play.

He has versatility to play inside or outside, seeing a lot of time at both DE and DT in college, also playing on some special teams, blocking a field goal in 2012 (vs. Purdue). Hankins eats up multiple blocks and frequently attracts double-teams.

NFL Comparison: Brandon Mebane, DT, Seattle Seahawks - Like Mebane, Hankins is a tough run defender who can disrupt the pocket and dominate 1-on-1 blockers.

Yeah, he's not perfect, he needs some work, and he's definately not the freak that Lotulelei is, but I think he also has a pretty high ceiling and wouldn't be upset if we got him.