Uga Confirms That Grantham Will Interview With Saints

Statick

UGA confirms that Grantham will interview with Saints

ATHENS — It’s official. Todd Grantham is interviewing with the New Orleans Saints.

That had been speculated and reported for more than a week. But it hadn’t been confirmed until Thursday morning when Georgia Athletic Director Greg McGarity issued a statement to reporters who cover the Bulldogs.

“In accordance with his contractual obligation, Todd Grantham notified me Wednesday night of the New Orleans Saints’ interest in interviewing him for the defensive coordinator position,” McGarity said.

Grantham’s contract stipulated that he inform the Bulldogs’ athletic director of any official contact he has with other teams regarding employment opportunities. Earlier this week the New Orleans Times Picayune reported that Grantham was to be interviewed Thursday by Saints head coach Sean Payton for their defensive coordinator’s position. Grantham’s name has also been circulated for the same opening with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Neither Grantham nor his agent had responded messages seeking comment about the job openings for weeks. Grantham finally answered reporters’ questions about the rumors on Wednesday during the Bulldogs’ national signing day activities, but remained evasive about his level of interest.

“I love Georgia and I think this is a great place, I love it, my family loves it and I fully expect to be here,” Grantham said. “But as coaches if things come up you’re always going to say, ‘hey, what’s best for your family?’”

Grantham has a good situation at Georgia. A year ago he signed a three-year contract that pays him $825,000 a year. But as an NFL coordinator, he could make twice that in salary with a longer contract.

There is no guarantee he will get the Saints’ job, however. Earlier this week Payton told a national radio audience that he intended to speak to “two to four” candidates about the opening, including longtime NFL coordinator Rob Ryan.

lol, so much for all of the "nuh-uh, those are just rumors!" claims about him interviewing.

Why would anyone want to work for the Saints?

you always have rumors out there such as ctg to the eagles right? i am sure ctg is interviewing with them and he is going to philly, oh wait that isn't happening. they hired a dc already and it wasn't grantham despite the rumors daily from fans and from rival coaches and eagles beat writers regrading grantham. also it wasn't whether the rumors were true or not on him interviewing with the saints (no on knew that was going to be happening at that time especially since adam who is one of the most reliable guys who cover the nfl said the saints were hiring ryan), it was more the timing of the release of that info the night before nsd. someone released that info the night before and the vols were calling all of our defensive players selling them on ctg being gone to the eagles or the saints. until mcgarity verified he was asked for permission there wasn't a rumor that was valid. there were way too many false rumors regarding ctg, that i have lost count.

full statement:

Georgia defensive coordinator Tood Grantham has pulled out of the New Orleans Saints' search for a new defensive coordinator.

Grantham released a statement early Friday evening through Georgia's sports communications office.

"I want to thank Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints organization for the opportunity to interview and get to know them," Grantham said in the release. "They are a first class organization in every respect. As I said Wednesday, Georgia is a great place, my family loves it here, and I do as well. This is where our heart is, and (Friday) I have withdrawn my name from consideration for the position with the Saints. I'm excited to start preparations for another season and along with the rest of our defensive staff look forward to coaching some really good returning players, as well as developing some very talented newcomers."

barrassing scene on signing day,

By Jeff Schultz

One day after interviewing with the New Orleans Saints to be their defensive coordinator, which came one day after professing his adoration for Georgia, Todd Grantham released a statement Friday night saying he would remain the Bulldogs' defensive coordinator.

He punctuated his remarks with, “...My family loves it here, and I do as well. This is where our heart is.”

Nice touch, even if slightly disengenuous. Don’t expect Grantham's heart or any other organs to be sticking around Athens for very long.

Really, this really is not meant as a criticism of Grantham. (Sort of.) As I wrote Wednesday when Grantham’s sudden candidacy in New Orleans unfortunately intersected with national letter of intent day, he is like almost every other assistant football coach. He’s a climber. He is always going to be looking for the next best thing. He wants to be a head coach one day, which is only natural. But that means his loyalty extends only as far as the next want ad.

Grantham and his agent haven’t been shy about using his potential candidacy for other jobs for raises. So even if he is focused on his coaching duties while in Athens, this is bound to become a growing distraction and opposing coaches certainly will use it against Georgia in recruiting. That's the problem.

I’m not sure what Georgia coach Mark Richt can do about this. I'm not on board with the suggestion by some fans that Grantham should be fired, unless the situation just mutated into something unworkable. But at the very least, Richt and athletic director Greg McGarity need to tell Grantham to be a little more low key about matters, and there can't be repeat of Wednesday's embarrassment in signing day. After Richt's press conference, with some of the signees in an auditorium, several media members made their way to the back of the room to talk to Grantham. This has the potential to become a major distraction over the next year and Richt must be wondering how he is going to deal with it.

The fact Grantham withdrew his name for the Saints’ job tells me that he probably wasn’t going to get it anyway. But he is going to get other job offers, either as an NFL coordinator or a college head coach, and eventually he will be gone. The question is how Richt deals with it until the inevitable happens.

Here's Grantham's statement:

"I want to thank Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints organization for the opportunity to interview and get to know them. They are a first class organization in every respect. As I said Wednesday, Georgia is a great place, my family loves it here, and I do as well. This is where our heart is and today I have withdrawn my name from consideration for the position with the Saints. I¹m excited to start preparations for another season and along with the rest of our defensive staff look forward to coaching some really good returning players as well as developing some very talented newcomers."