Westboro Leader Quits And Apologizes For Church's Activities

JDaveG

http://www.kwch.com/...0,4888133.story

Westboro leader quits and apologizes for church's activities

by Jim Grawe KWCH 12 Eyewitness News

10:13 p.m. CST, February 6, 2013

(TOPEKA, Kan.)—

They're known worldwide as the group from Kansas that protests at soldiers' funerals, and says God hates America because it allows homosexuality. Now, Westboro Baptist Church is reacting to the defection of a key member.

"She just decided she did not want to obey God," spokesman Steve Drain says. "She did not want to obey scripture."

She is Megan Phelps-Roper. The 27-year-old had risen to become a leader in the family church founded her grandfather.

In a blog post, Phelps-Roper explains she and her 19-year-old sister, Grace changed their way of thinking. She doesn't go into detail but says she and her sister regret the hurt they have inflicted on others by participating in the Westboro group's activities. Read what she writes by clicking here.

"Wow!" author Paul Ibbetson says. Ibbetson researched Westboro for a book. We talked to him from his office in Hays.

"They are a very tight-knit group--very cultish in my opinion," Ibbetson says. "With folks like that--real intolerant and hold a tight reign--it's kind of surprising that you'd see anyone that close in the family, break away and take off. I'd be concerned for those girls leaving with the intolerance I dealt with."

Drain adds, " They have decided they would rather enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season that suffer affliction with the people of God."

Wow. Good for her and her sister.

Indeed.

I wonder if most folks understand how hard it is to do what they did. I left a very loving, non-judgmental Church body to become Orthodox, and it was extremely difficult to discuss it with the people we were leaving behind. You worry about hurting feelings, people feeling rejected, etc., plus you get pressure to stay from well meaning people who think you're making the wrong decision.

Now, add to that the issue in their case, where the Church is extremely judgmental and essentially brainwashes people into thinking they have the complete truth and everyone who disagrees with them (which is most people, and in fact the vast majority of Christians) are damned and going to ****, and have no hope of repentance. I can't imagine the emotional and psychological strain they faced and still face. It's really a courageous thing to do.

http://www.pitch.com...an-phelps-roper

Looks like he did it! GOOD JOB KEVIN SMITH! Is there nothing he can't do?! Besides make a critically successful film after 1997?!

http://www.pitch.com/plog/archives/2011/03/14/kevin-smiths-red-state-drives-phelps-family-out-of-theater

I still can't believe he got them to go to the premiere of Red State, a film pretty much inspired by them haha

https://medium.com/turning-points/83d2ef8ba4f5 I guess she has a blog. This is a good story.

Head Full of Doubt / Road Full of Promise

“There's no fresh start in today's world. Any twelve-year-old with a cell phone could find out what you did. Everything we do is collated and quantified. Everything sticks.”

Don’t act surprised that I’m quoting Batman. At WBC, reciting lines from pop culture is par for the course. And why not? The sentiments they express are readily identifiable by the masses – and shifting their meaning is as easy as giving them new context. So put Selina Kyle’s words in a different framework:

In a city in a state in the center of a country lives a group of people who believe they are the center of the universe; they know Right and Wrong, and they are Right. They work hard and go to school and get married and have kids who they take to church and teach that continually protesting the lives, deaths, and daily activities of The World is the only genuine statement of compassion that a God-loving human can sincerely make. As parents, they are attentive and engaged, and the children learn their lessons well.

This is my framework.

Until very recently, this is what I lived, breathed, studied, believed, preached – loudly, daily, and for nearly 27 years.

I never thought it would change. I never wanted it to.

Then suddenly: it did.

And I left.

Where do you go from there?

I don't know, exactly. My sister Grace is with me, though. We’re trying to figure it out together.

There are some things we do know.

We know that we’ve done and said things that hurt people. Inflicting pain on others wasn’t the goal, but it was one of the outcomes. We wish it weren’t so, and regret that hurt.

We know that we dearly love our family. They now consider us betrayers, and we are cut off from their lives, but we know they are well-intentioned. We will never not love them.

We know that we can’t undo our whole lives. We can’t even say we’d want to if we could; we are who we are because of all the experiences that brought us to this point. What we can do is try to find a better way to live from here on. That’s our focus.

Up until now, our names have been synonymous with “God Hates Fags.” Any twelve-year-old with a cell phone could find out what we did. We hope Ms. Kyle was right about the other part, too, though – that everything sticks – and that the changes we make in our lives will speak for themselves.

Megan and Grace