If You Were The Gm

Someone comes up to Dimitroff and offers him next year's 1st and 2nd for this year's first. Nothing in return for right now, but next year pays big dividends, how would you feel about this trade?

I mean personally I would jump all over it, I know we need talent now, and waiting until 62 to make our first pick would be rough, but having 2 1sts and 2 2nds next year to package together for a possible pickup of Clowney or another star...yeah.

It would be a really tough call and likely completely depend on which team, if it was a team that year after year finished in the bottom 5-10 teams it would be hard not to consider. Going two years without a 1st rounder to plug into the lineup would be pretty rough though.

I assume this scenario is likely because you really want Clowney (who doesn't), but remember to put into perspective what it would take to get him even with an extra 1st and 2nd. He all but a lock to be a top 3 pick and depending on who comes out even #1.

This would be a rough breakdown of what a trade to get him would take. Making a couple different assumptions:

Clowney is #1 pick, we have the #8 pick (trade), #30 pick, #40 (trade), and #62 through the first two rounds.

Trade to move into the #1 spot would be:

3,000 (#1)

-1,400 (#8)

-620 (#30)

-550 (2014 #30 discounted for waiting 1 year)

-500 (#40)

= +70 which is a pretty fair deal to take some low 1st in exchange for an extremely talented player

So under this scenario my question would be are you willing to have a first round pick in only 1 of the next 3 years?

The best possible scenario would be that Clowney is picked #3 and the team we trade with finishes third worst in the NFL and we take him at #3 OR the team we trade with finishes dead last and we can take anyone we want. Outside of injuries I think most teams know when they are a basement dweller and probably wouldn't trade a first rounder if they are fairly sure they will have a top 5 pick the following year so I think the first scenario is pretty solid.

Personally if we did make this trade I wouldn't want to give all the picks back to another team the following year, I would draft two first rounders and two second rounders and hope we can have four solid first year contributors.

Edited by IA Falcon07

Yes in a heart beat. We'd have to be committed to landing a big FA or two though.

DE/OLB Cliff Avril and CB DRC, releasing Dunta, Turner, anyone that is expendable and making several restructures.

2nd and 3rd round add DT and RB.

Next year we have the pieces to move up for Clowney, or a guy like Anthony Barr from UCLA. Also the best TE in college football is in next year's draft: Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Mix of Jermichael raw talent with Jimmy Graham actual ability.

If we could use all those picks to come up with Jadaveon and Austin Seferian-Jenkins in next year's draft, as in trade the 1sts and 2nd and 3rd to get Clowney, trade future 1st with current 2nd and 4th to get ASJ.

Clowney, Avril, Abe, DRC, Asante, Moore, DeCoud, drafted DT.......Matt Ryan, Julio, Roddy, ASJ.....worth it.

Yes in a heart beat. We'd have to be committed to landing a big FA or two though.

DE/OLB Cliff Avril and CB DRC, releasing Dunta, Turner, anyone that is expendable and making several restructures.

2nd and 3rd round add DT and RB.

Next year we have the pieces to move up for Clowney, or a guy like Anthony Barr from UCLA. Also the best TE in college football is in next year's draft: Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Mix of Jermichael raw talent with Jimmy Graham actual ability.

If we could use all those picks to come up with Jadaveon and Austin Seferian-Jenkins in next year's draft, as in trade the 1sts and 2nd and 3rd to get Clowney, trade future 1st with current 2nd and 4th to get ASJ.

Clowney, Avril, Abe, DRC, Asante, Moore, DeCoud, drafted DT.......Matt Ryan, Julio, Roddy, ASJ.....worth it.

35tdej.jpg

But in all seriousness unless the team we traded with finished in the bottom 5 of the league (and even then it'll be difficult) there is no way to get both Clowney and ASJ. If we had the #10 pick from the other team and finished in the same spot as we are this year it would take 3 first rounds picks and probably then some just to land Clowney. I'll be interested to see where the top TE goes this year in order to range TE value, but ASJ is head and shoulders above any TE this class so he is easily a top 15 pick, top 20 at the lowest. Getting a top 3 overall pick and another top 20 pick by trading two (probably) #25 overall picks or lower and MAYBE one high first round pick, with a couple low seconds, a low third, and a fourth is bad value for other teams. Not to mention finding multiple trade partners.

I posted values in another post above that breaks down a somewhat likely situation for a trade that includes Clowney.

I'd do it, but yeah we would have had to make some moves in FA then. Two firsts and two seconds next year sounds good. And yeah we have a Superbowl window now, but chances are that a rookie is not going to have that big of an impact that we can't live without it. Then, think of all the possible options in the draft the next year!

If we are going to won the super bowl next year I have two options 1st with TG go get either Paul Krueger or cliff avril cut Turner trade HD RESTRUCTURE Drob bring back Grimes and sign Fa running back either Bradshaw or Jackson just off strength experience more in Bradshaw two rings Draft eifert future rb and the rest of the picks defense for the next two years

2nd option w/o tg Cut Turner Abe trade dunta and hd Sign Krueger/Avril and/or kvb/osi Sign Hill and Bradshaw Move McClain to nickel and look at Rolando McClain from the raiders cheap young linebacker Trade down 1st round for two second round Get eifert and top Corner on board Stephan Taylor or lacy 3rd round And the rest of the picks and next year picks On defense