Who Said Roll Wit Micheal Palmer And Chase Coffman

ssippifalcon

If tony g descides to retire who thinks we would be fine with micheal palmer and chase coffman as our TEs.

Look at it this way, palmer has been learning from gonzalez for a while now, hes had minimal playing time, of course hes playing behind tony, but when he has played he hasnt played bad at all. Palmer is a good blocker could be the gem we are just looking over. Possible right?

As for coffman, we know he can catch, hes been learning behind gonzo. I hear some ppl calling for him to start if tony retires. Maybe hes better than we think. Possible right?

Our starter and future may already be on the roster for all we know, we havent seen many negetives from either of these young guys, and niether are overly expensive, so why should we waste a draft pick on TE when we have two guys who havent been bad, they just havent had a chance to show?

Its a debate, accepting all feedback, what do my fellow board members think?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of folks on this forum were clamoring for Coffman the year he was drafted.

Now we have him with a full season under his belt a lot of

folks are screaming for a TE early in this years draft.

If Gonzo retires I think we should get a TE in the late rounds so we can

see what we have in Coffman and Palmer.

I said it

Palmer on blocking situations and Coffman on passing downs. Tony G wasn't that great of a blocking TE when he first came into the league. That's something he improved on as time went along. With the right training from Pat Hill, Coffman can become that consistant TE that we need. I still say we draft a TE but it's no guarentee that he'll be ready his rookie year. Let him develop on the practice squad and give Coffman a real opportunity. With his injuries, I don't think he's had a real shot since he was drafted.

Edited by Numbaz

half the people we 'need' are already on the roster.

exactly, my point here is why should we just waste away our draft picks, i hear ppl label these guys as not good enough, but these guys have been playing behind a future hall of famer. How do we know they arent good enough if we havent seen enough of them to know.

Its just something to ponder.

exactly, my point here is why should we just waste away our draft picks, i hear ppl label these guys as not good enough, but these guys have been playing behind a future hall of famer. How do we know they arent good enough if we havent seen enough of them to know.

Its just something to ponder.

You know I joined this message board at the start of this season. When Grimes got injured, my first ever thread created said, it may be a good thing that Grimes got injured so we can see if we have someone on the bench that can step up. I got shi++ed on by about 98% of the message board. They thought I was happy about Grimes being injured. That wasn't the case.

2 weeks later Robert McClain emerged.

That's was the purpose of my thread. Right now we're not shi++ing bricks hoping that we get Grimes back because we have McClain on a 2 year, 1 million dollar contract.

I think palmers a FA. Hes gone . Coffman has the size.. just havent seen enough of him

i kno palmers a free agent, but what makes u think they wont bring the guy thats been backing up gonzo for some years now, he wont be expensive. Dont you think he might be an asset that they might wanna keep, maybe they see palmer as the future, he certainly hasnt shown any negatives in the games hes played a little in.

You know I joined this message board at the start of this season. When Grimes got injured, my first ever thread created said, it may be a good thing that Grimes got injured so we can see if we have someone on the bench that can step up. I got shi++ed on by about 98% of the message board. They thought I was happy about Grimes being injured. That wasn't the case.

That's was the purpose of my thread. Right now we're not shi++ing bricks hoping that we get Grimes back because we have McClain on a 2 year, 1 million dollar contract.

great example bro, thanks.

You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket with Coffman, and Palmer's nothing special (assuming he even stays). If we don't draft a TE at all we're hanging an unknown commodity a starting job by default, which strikes me as just plain stupid. We at least need to draft some competition...Coffman, Nicholas, and others shouldn't start simply for lack of competition. Plus even if Coffman ends up being great, what happens if he gets hurt and we don't have at least a serviceable replacement?

Of course with the draft, a lot of things are going to change in terms of needs and what players are projected where because of the combine and FA, so who knows, maybe by that time getting a TE wouldn't be a good idea. But having X TE in for blocking and Y TE in for passing seems pretty foolish - why not just hand your opposing DC your playbook while you're at it? Having a guy that is good at both makes it much harder for a D to anticipate what you are doing.

You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket with Coffman, and Palmer's nothing special (assuming he even stays). If we don't draft a TE at all we're hanging an unknown commodity a starting job by default, which strikes me as just plain stupid. We at least need to draft some competition...Coffman, Nicholas, and others shouldn't start simply for lack of competition. Plus even if Coffman ends up being great, what happens if he gets hurt and we don't have at least a serviceable replacement?

Of course with the draft, a lot of things are going to change in terms of needs and what players are projected where because of the combine and FA, so who knows, maybe by that time getting a TE wouldn't be a good idea. But having X TE in for blocking and Y TE in for passing seems pretty foolish - why not just hand your opposing DC your playbook while you're at it? Having a guy that is good at both makes it much harder for a D to anticipate what you are doing.

you dont know what these guys can do because you dont get to see them, but the coaches see these guys everyday in practice. They know what they have so what makes you think palmer is "nothing special" if you havent seen the guy, hes been kept on the roster for a few years, if he was nothing special then what would be the point in keeping him? Its just a thought

I love Palmer. He is all together underrated. He plays a lot more then people realize also. He would never be a #1 but makes a fine #2 for what we need.

This is true. If he was on the field for a pass play, it's likely Tony was a higher priority target. The TD in Detroit was a beautiful play.

you dont know what these guys can do because you dont get to see them, but the coaches see these guys everyday in practice. They know what they have so what makes you think palmer is "nothing special" if you havent seen the guy, hes been kept on the roster for a few years, if he was nothing special then what would be the point in keeping him? Its just a thought

keeping someone as a backup because they are serviceable is different than keeping them because they are still developing. My point simply is it would be ill-advised to have 2 TE's and assume one of them will be a quality starter. Like I said, if Coffman or Palmer break out, great...but without another TE prospect, that makes an injury a pretty scary position.

some folks on here are too emotional. they forget all about the positive stuff guys did over the year and crucify them over things that happened in the play-offs. it amazes me that folks thing you gotta have all pros at every position to be successful

keeping someone as a backup because they are serviceable is different than keeping them because they are still developing. My point simply is it would be ill-advised to have 2 TE's and assume one of them will be a quality starter. Like I said, if Coffman or Palmer break out, great...but without another TE prospect, that makes an injury a pretty scary position.

thats a good point, i could see a later pick being used on a TE, but i wouldnt use an early pick on one

some folks on here are too emotional. they forget all about the positive stuff guys did over the year and crucify them over things that happened in the play-offs. it amazes me that folks thing you gotta have all pros at every position to be successful

yep i see good quality with the guys we have at certain positions like TE.

thats a good point, i could see a later pick being used on a TE, but i wouldnt use an early pick on one

Me neither. in my mock i took the TE from SJSU, OK blocker and averaged 16 YPC. Also we still run some 2 TE sets, we kind of have to get another guy anyway. Palmer has done well as the 2 TE, but Coffman is largely an unknown and who knows how Palmer would do as the #1. I wouldn't be too happy if we took a TE with our first pick, given how bad we are at DT, DE and LB.

Me neither. in my mock i took the TE from SJSU, OK blocker and averaged 16 YPC. Also we still run some 2 TE sets, we kind of have to get another guy anyway. Palmer has done well as the 2 TE, but Coffman is largely an unknown and who knows how Palmer would do as the #1. I wouldn't be too happy if we took a TE with our first pick, given how bad we are at DT, DE and LB.

exactly, i kinda like micheal williams out of bama but i think his stock will shoot up after the combine, he played really well in the senior bowl, but there are alot of other guys there that can be had in the later rounds.

Funny how people say we have nothing in Palmer and Coffman. When it's true we don't know what they can truly do, Palmer intrigues me as he has been kept, if we were just trying to.keep a back up what's really the point in.that, their was no way he was going to beat out tony G for the start, so why keep him? It's called developing for the future and that's what they been doing.in Palmer who has been learning from.the best. I would not be surprised if we didn't draft a TE in this draft if we did it'll prob be in the later rounds to groom behind Palmer and Coffman. It's also another reason I see us targeting a WR much more.than TE.

Funny how people say we have nothing in Palmer and Coffman. When it's true we don't know what they can truly do, Palmer intrigues me as he has been kept, if we were just trying to.keep a back up what's really the point in.that, their was no way he was going to beat out tony G for the start, so why keep him? It's called developing for the future and that's what they been doing.in Palmer who has been learning from.the best. I would not be surprised if we didn't draft a TE in this draft if we did it'll prob be in the later rounds to groom behind Palmer and Coffman. It's also another reason I see us targeting a WR much more.than TE.

exactly, if palmer is resigned this year then that should tell us that they have plans for him IMO. I dont see why they would groom him for so long and not even see what they get out of it.

Guest Negatorris

I wouldn't be mad if Coffman became the starter. He can't block for sh*t, but he has some great receiving abilities. Ceiling is high too.