De Idea: Frostee Rucker, Anyone?

Guvmintcheeze

Pretty good DE, just released by the Browns. Lord knows we need some upgrades at DE. Known as a leader, 48 tackles and 4 sacks last season on a bad defensive team. I'd say he's worth a long look.

Nice thing about him is, he could be gotten right now. Released players don't have to wait for start of FA.

Couple of questions, what defensive front do the Browns play? How old is Rucker?

A lot of people saying he's a bust, but I disagree wholeheartedly. He works his butt off and always seems to be around the ball, even when he doesn't get a lot of snaps. His injury history is worrying, but he'll be cheap because of it. Definitely worth giving a shot in the rotation. If he makes the roster, great. If not, he didn't cost us much.

EDIT: Actually, he had a 5 year/20 mil contract, he might not go much lower than that. So maybe we try him out, but I don't see us wasting money on a tweener, even if I like him a good bit.

Edited by TuggIe2

1) CLE is not a bad defensive team

2) 4 sacks is his career high, and was a disappointment to CLE

3) he is a run stopper basically

4) I dont see him as any better an option than Matthews, Beirmann or Massaquoi

we dont need another rotational player we have 4 of them, we need an anchor in the pass rush. I would rather a mid round pick for DE than Rucker based on production and balancing the CAP.

If cleavland of all teams acknowledges this guy a bust, I don't want him here. We need to get younger on defense.

Not that at all.

CLEVELAND — The Browns' switch on defense started with Frostee Rucker being shifted out the door.

Rucker was released by Cleveland on Tuesday, the first major move as the Browns change from a 4-3 defense to a multi-front system under new coach Rob Chudzinski and coordinator Ray Horton.

A top free-agent signing by Cleveland last year, Rucker started all 16 games and finished with 48 tackles and four sacks in his one season with the Browns. Rucker made $6 million last season and $2 million of his $2.5 million contract for 2013 would have been guaranteed if he was still on the roster Wednesday, according to a report by TheSidelineView.com.

I never said he's the answer to our problems, but I said he's worth a look. And putting JA aside, we've not got a lot going on at DE.

Frostee's not even worth a look, let alone a roster spot. He's a 29 year old rotational end with little to no pass rushing skills. We've got that already -- younger and cheaper.

If cleavland of all teams acknowledges this guy a bust, I don't want him here. We need to get younger on defense.

Heck, you can even throw Cleveland to the side for a minute. When he got drafted by the Bengals, that defense was awful... and I mean GOD AWFUL... and even there he was nothing more than a rotational player.

He's not better than anyone we already have, so what's the point if we're supposed to be looking to upgrade the position?

Because we only have 1.7 mil. in cap room at this point to make any moves. He's cheap and worth a look. If he can't cut it he can hit the bricks. That's why.

In your first post, you said we needed "upgrades". Now you're just saying he is worth a look.

What exactly do you think he is going to bring to the team? Do you think he is a pass rusher? If so, what are you basing it on? Because I've actually see in play, even saw him in a few training camps. There's nothing particularly unique about his skill set. He's not better than Kroy, and he doesn't have the upside of Massaquoi or Matthews. The Browns even acknowledged when they signed him that it was mainly as a run defender.

In his last season with the Bengals he was in for 213 passes. He had 4 sacks, but the big red flag was he only had 5 pressures and 2 quarterback hits. That's pitiful.

And here is a tidbit from a scouting report when he was coming out of SC:

Rucker has big problems with hand placement, especially when trying to split double teams. He does not generate much pop behind his tackles, but will wrap and secure vs. plays in front of him. He has an adequate burst to shoot the gaps, but will get ping-ponged when he keeps his base narrow, He also needs to play with better control, as he lacks discipline in his backside pursuit and does not have the stop-and-go action to recover when outrunning the play.

Rucker showed improved pass rush moves as a senior, but still lacks the body control to make a smooth turn into the backfield coming off the edge. He needs to be more explosive with his hands in attempts to shed and will shut down if the blocker dominates him after his initial move fails. His bull rushing skills are marginal and even though he had 11 stops behind the line of scrimmage in 2005, most were vs. plays directed right at him. Two quarterback pressures in two seasons as a starter is a strong indication that he is not the type that will collapse the pocket.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

In your first post, you said we needed "upgrades". Now you're just saying he is worth a look.

What exactly do you think he is going to bring to the team? Do you think he is a pass rusher? If so, what are you basing it on? Because I've actually see in play, even saw him in a few training camps. There's nothing particularly unique about his skill set. He's not better than Kroy, and he doesn't have the upside of Massaquoi or Matthews. The Browns even acknowledged when they signed him that it was mainly as a run defender.

In his last season with the Bengals he was in for 213 passes. He had 4 sacks, but the big red flag was he only had 5 pressures and 2 quarterback hits. That's pitiful.

Hey all this aside I vote we sign you man to play Dtackle. I mean Peytons forehead would command a double team and be an impenetrable wall in the run game.

Edited by Zerosyztem

Alright smartazz, We DO need an an upgrade, and no, he is not the/our answer but they are going to start cutting some players and I see 3 DE's that can get the axe. He's cheapo enough to look at whether as a backup or rotational player or not at all I don't know, but he can slide out if he can't play for minimal loss. And **** yes we need upgrades, not sure what he could for us, but he's a FA we should at least look at.

Happy now ya **** gobbler?

I seriously hate loud-mouth phucktards like you who think they are God's gift to football MB's. You and Bill Brasky oughtta be slamming hams in a corner somewhere.

Edited by Guvmintcheeze

Alright smartazz, We DO need an an upgrade, and no, he is not the/our answer but they are going to start cutting some players and I see 3 DE's that can get the axe. He's cheapo enough to look at whether as a backup or rotational player or not at all I don't know, but he can slide out if he can't play for minimal loss. And **** yes we need upgrades, not sure what he could for us, but he's a FA we should at least look at.

Happy now ya **** gobbler?

I seriously hate loud-mouth phucktards like you who think they are God's gift to football MB's. You and Bill Brasky oughtta be slamming hams in a corner somewhere.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, a little emotional there, buddy. LOL... you're the one who started this thread looking for opinions. You're the one who used the term "pretty good DE" and "upgrade" in the same sentence as Frostee Rucker. You should be able to handle it when someone disagrees with you. Seriously, you went from high on him in your first post to conceding he's nothing more than a rotational guy, to full on namecalling.

I was genuinely trying to engage you and get you to explain your opinion of him beyond the platitudes. You haven't disputed any point I've made about him being a horrible pass rusher, or anything more than a warm body, so I was trying to understand why you thought he'd be any kind of option.

Instead you keep responding with this...

He's cheapo enough to look at whether as a backup or rotational player or not at all I don't know, but he can slide out if he can't play for minimal loss

Because we only have 1.7 mil. in cap room at this point to make any moves. He's cheap and worth a look. If he can't cut it he can hit the bricks.

...so I'll leave it at that, sense you obviously don't have a well-formed opinion.

Oh, and I don't know these 3 defensive ends you're talking about that could be cut, but you don't cut YOUNG cheap guys Matthews, or Massaquoi for a veteran rotational guy about to be 30 years with no pass rushing skills.

Guest Negatorris

No way im taking any player from the browns unless is d jackson haden or trich!

Just because it's the Browns, it doesn't mean they don't have talent on the team. They are a few pieces away from playoff contention in my opinion.