Is Anyone Here Shocked That Our Defense Played So Bad In The Playoffs?

dudouble

I honestly am.. for a team that caused so many turnovers in the regular season and shut some great offenses down i was shocked how poorly they played in the playoffs. I know we struggled against the read option this year but u would think they wouldve adjusted by then. They are profesionals.maybe our defense just isnt built for the postseason mentality wise. The seattle game and the sf game had they been regular season. With a 20 point lead and 17 point lead wouldve been easy wins.and even after they blew the 20 point lead against seattle. When they got up 17 on the niners i knew they could comeback but in my mind i was saying theres no way they blow it 2 weeks in arow.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly am.. for a team that caused so many turnovers in the regular season and shut some great offenses down i was shocked how poorly they played in the playoffs. I know we struggled against the read option this year but u would think they wouldve adjusted by then. They are profesionals.maybe our defense just isnt built for the postseason mentality wise. The seattle game and the sf game had they been regular season. With a 20 point lead and 17 point lead wouldve been easy wins.and even after they blew the 20 point lead against seattle. When they got up 17 on the niners i knew they could comeback but in my mind i was saying theres no way they blow it 2 weeks in arow.

We had the two worst possible defensive match-up in the playoffs IMO. Our defense's strength is confusing cerebral, pocket quarterback's and we did not get to see one of those in the playoffs. Had we been in the AFC it's very likely that we would have played in the Super Bowl on Sunday. Our amoeba defense is awesome. Now we need to get bigger up the middle and faster on the right edge to supplement the amoeba scheme. Do that and we are golden heading into 2013.

Yeh I thought we would play better even against mobile quarterbacks but it was also magnified by Abe getting hurt and having basically no rush at all. Our defense overall is not bad but just needs a linebacker over Nicolas that can cover TEs and a much better pass rush. We are similar to the old Colts now were we are gonna get a lead, put up points and now needs a rush to close out the game.

Edited by sspeedd23

Nobodys defense played extremely well in the playoffs. Denver/Seattle/Houston/Baltimore all had arguably better defenses than us and they all had crap performances in the playoffs.

I'm not too concerned. Its obvious that we need to be more physical on both offense and defense, but i don't see us much worse than the majority of other teams who had statistically better defenses.

Nobodys defense played extremely well in the playoffs. Denver/Seattle/Houston/Baltimore all had arguably better defenses than us and they all had crap performances in the playoffs.

I'm not too concerned. Its obvious that we need to be more physical on both offense and defense, but i don't see us much worse than the majority of other teams who had statistically better defenses.

That is what is funny to me...the miners shredded the ravens more than they did us.....Davis went off on them as much as he did us....the difference in the superbowl was a remarkable kickoff return

Shocked? No. Disappointed? Yes!!!

I mean, I knew we were going to face some quality teams with mobile QBs, and our "D" just got smoked in the second half of those games, after they adjusted to what we were doing.

And on the other side of the coin, I was even MORE disappointed on how easily our offense was shut down in the second half of those games. We were just lucky to slide by the Seahawks, and our luck ran out against the 9ers.

But, I think we're just a few "pieces" away from having a stellar, Super Bowl contending team.

Of course, all that will be dependent upon how good we do in FA and the Draft...

Shocked? No. Disappointed? Yes!!!

I mean, I knew we were going to face some quality teams with mobile QBs, and our "D" just got smoked in the second half of those games, after they adjusted to what we were doing.

And on the other side of the coin, I was even MORE disappointed on how easily our offense was shut down in the second half of those games. We were just lucky to slide by the Seahawks, and our luck ran out against the 9ers.

But, I think we're just a few "pieces" away from having a stellar, Super Bowl contending team.

Of course, all that will be dependent upon how good we do in FA and the Draft...

The miners did not shut down our offense......it was OUR mistakes that cost us...we drove the ball with ease be them but monumentally rare mistakes on our part cost us....a fumble snap ruddy who is one of the best route runners in the game slipping....and then hd being so wide open he could have moonwalked into the endzone.

The whiners defense did NOTHING to stop us

The miners did not shut down our offense......it was OUR mistakes that cost us...we drove the ball with ease be them but monumentally rare mistakes on our part cost us....a fumble snap ruddy who is one of the best route runners in the game slipping....and then hd being so wide open he could have moonwalked into the endzone.

that was the only thing that disappointed me. I could have sworn the football gods would have mercy on us since those types of things had always happened to us and lo & behold, those are the very things that did us in along with getting a penalty that sustained a stop.

Without this defense, we don't even make the playoff. I am a true Falcons fan, even before TD(Tony Dorsett) broke the Birds hearts back in 81. In the playoff, it normally comes down to the team who makes the least mistakes, and against SF. We made one to many and it came back to bite us in the backside.

Edited by lanorris41

They were embarrassing. The fact that even after Seattles TE destroying us that we still sucked against the Niners TEs was pathetic.

What would you either have though Tuggle Zach Miller beat you or Mayshawn Lynch beat you it just played out that way that TE's were going to beat us because of the game plan we choose to use.The defense didn't play all that badly now i look back at it considering the injury to Abe and as above the game plan we choose to use.

I agree.. And that's some of the things we can only work on by gaining experience in these types of playoff games. Just like the Niners' super bowl hopes last year were crushed by mental mistakes, ours were crushed this year by the same thing. I have no doubt that the Niners' experience in the NFCCG last year, helped them over the top against us, as we were on the wrong end of the mistakes.. Unfortunately for them, they had some of the same jitters in the SB this season, but they'll learn from that as well.

If this years SB showed me anything, it's that you don't build a NFL championship team overnight. It takes years of talent gathering, coaching and playoff experience to really get there and win it all.. There are some flukes, but in the end playoff experience is as valuable as anything in getting to the big dance. We are getting that experience, and we will get to the Super Bowl as well!

Edited by niels petersen

I was just shocked.. jimmy graham had a big game against us in the first half of the first saints game and we made adjustments and he did nothing the next 6 quarters. I was sure we would adjust to zack miller after his first half. And we didnt. Then davis scorched us. I know it means nothing now. Just at the time. I was stunned how bad our defense played. As a whole too. There werent any bright spots.

What would you either have though Tuggle Zach Miller beat you or Mayshawn Lynch beat you it just played out that way that TE's were going to beat us because of the game plan we choose to use.The defense didn't play all that badly now i look back at it considering the injury to Abe and as above the game plan we choose to use.

Nolan said it was players being out of place. He said " There were many times 10 out of 11 guys were in the right spot " he was pointing the finger at Moore for the Seattle game. Selling out to stop the option and or RB is fine but Miller was open in all directions for 15-20 ft at times. That is unacceptable. I am not blaming it all on Moore but it shows that they were surprisingly undisciplined and were almost lost at times. Thats what I meant by embarrassing. I don't know what caused it but I didn't like it.

I do think Abe had a lot to do with it. I think we would of looked a lot better with a healthy Abe. He has always help close out games and has a track record of getting to the QB late in games when Olines get tired.

Our defense was exposed in the playoffs, other than our secondary, we are just not a very talented defense, we got role players and rotation guys starting in several spots, Nolan did what he could with sub par talent all year ....I will give them props for this, they did not lose the SF game, the refs did .....they overcame the 2 Ryan turnovers, but could not overcome the 2 bogus PF penaltys that extended drives that they had already stopped, we were jobbed man .....

Nolan is overrated but he also doesn't have good defensive players to work with and Dimtroff is at fault. Moore and Decoud are two good S when Moore is healthy and Defoud plays within his means doesn't over lap plays and gets bad angles and misses tackles . Asante was solid all season but outside the int return for TD vs Oakland he didnt have many game changing plays. Dunta Robinson is a average corner that has a huge salary. He is rarely in position to make a play on football and his best attributes are loading his head and making a tackle with it . Spoon didnt have any big games where he dominated he was also hurt but he was exposed in pass coverage along with Nicholas . Dent got a little better as year went on still not a starting MLB and a huge downgrade from Lofton

People don't want to admit but losing Lofton hurt middle of our defense cause him and Spoon trusted each other . The defensive line is a joke . Abe makes his presence known in regular season but would never step up in a big playoff game. He also dissapering . Babs was better late in season but he didnt break out and force pressure in middle consistent . Kroy Bierman is a bench player that hustles. He never finished sacks. Walker is depth. Perria Jerry is a waste

The one nice surprise was McClain but he is a slot DB

This team needs a huge upgrade on d line and a LB that can cover TEs and not be in trail position all the time . Dunta needs to go. He was one of the worst decisions our GM made