A Chip On Our Shoulders

vel

I don't think it's a killer instinct this team lacks, I think it's nobody but Asante plays with a chip on their shoulder. They don't have anything to prove. This is why they think they can just walk over lesser teams, record wise. This team has too many nice guys. Especially on defense. Look at that Seahawks D. Look at the Niners D. Ravens D. Bengals D. Even the Bucs D. There are guys on those defenses that feel they have something to prove and walk around ready to prove it every game. On our defense, who do we have? Nobody organically at least. That's the problem with the Falcons Filter. We are missing talent perfectly fit for this team and scheme due to it. Most players that have chips on their shoulders wouldn't pass that filter. Our top guys don't have them: Spoon, Abe, Bab, Nic, DRob, DeCoud or Moore. None of them have chips on their shoulders. That's why the Panthers can talk sh*t to us all week and smack us in the mouth when it's game time.

If I'm wrong, someone tell me. But I think it's time we get some guys with tolerable red flags on this team and let's rock. Glad that we have Nolan because I think TD is scared of those kinds of players, and I'm a TD fan.

But by going with the type of player we go with in my eyes is one of the reasons why we are the least penalized team in the league.

They play under control and not off the cuff and over exerburante.

You aren't wrong with the chip on your shoulder bit but if you have a look at especially teams in our division how has that worked out for the Bucs and Panthers so far.

No I'll take the TD draft Filter thanks,be honest how bad is it really we were 10 yards and a score away from the big game and are now a perenial SB contender no I'll leave it to TD and the guys when it comes to picking players.

Edited by kiwifalcon

It is my opinion that it is a common misperception that guys that play with attitude are guys with questionnable character. I think this is very much incorrect. A guy with a checkered past is just as capable of quitting and checking out as guys who are first-class citizen.

I am not saying I disagree with you that Falcons need more swagger on the team but to try to draw a correlation between that and not having guys with questionable character on the team is more than just a stretch. I consider it just misinformed.

Bucs D kicks our asss every year when they are playing good football. Tell me I'm lying. Yes, they are a tough group. Same with the Panthers D. They may not be top units, but they punch us in the mouth once a year. When's the last time we've done that to either team?

But by going with the type of player we go with in my eyes is one of the reasons why we are the least penalized team in the league.

You aren't wrong with the chip on your shoulder bit but if you have a look at especially teams in our division how has that worked out for the Bucs and Panthers so far.

No I'll take the TD draft Filter thanks,be honest how bad is it really we were 10 yards and a score away from the big game and are now a perenial SB contender no I'll leave it to TD and the guys when it comes to picking players.

Yes, we are the least penalized team. That's great. I'm not saying get penalty causing players. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady play with the biggest chips on their shoulders every single week even though they are already considered the best QBs in the league. We get a couple 13 win seasons under our belt and we see a 5 win team trot into town (Raiders, Cardinals) and expect our record to beat them.

Yes we were only ten yards away with this team, built like TD wants it. But this defense didn't play confident until a player with confidence and a boulder on his shoulder was added to the group in Asante. Nolan's scheme didn't do that. Even Decoud said it himself, they never heckled the offense and Matt Ryan in practice when they made big plays. When we were up on the Seahawks, players were shocked we were up like we were going into the locker room. That's an attitude problem, not a talent problem. None of the fans were surprised we were up so big because we have unyielding faith in our team. Why would players be surprised?

I'm not saying take a chance on a guy like Tyrann Mathieu, who obviously just can't put himself in positions to stay out of trouble. It's like the Filter is so unforgiving and most times, it's defensive players that we are passing on. Defensive players are more of the tough, knuckleheaded guys than the offensive players are. Offensive players tend to be more punkish/divaish than defenders (see: Crabtree, Young, Moss, Owens, CJ2K). If you make one mistake, you get black dotted, only for you to mature as a man elsewhere and your talent shine. These are 20-22 year olds. How many of us did some dumbshit around that age and regretted it? Most of us. To be so unyielding of some mistakes and not being able to see a man capable of correcting around guys like Spoon, Abe, Bab, Moore, Decoud and Samuel is a shame. Burfict is a prime example. He was just an overly emotional guy that couldn't control himself. He never got in trouble off the field or hurt anybody. He was a nice guy off the field actually. But the negative press got to him and he broke during the draft process, letting his weight get out of hand and performing poorly in workouts.

Enter Marvin Lewis, a guy who seems to turn every bad apple into a player. He sees he never gets in trouble off the field. That clearly shows he knows right from wrong. He only gets in trouble when his emotions get involved. As a man matures, he learns to control his emotions. Lewis provided him with the structure and got the first round talented UDFA to perform. http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8809085/nfl-playoffs-2013-vontaze-burfict-bum-rap

There was no risk in taking Burfict in the seventh or undrafted. We have the structure in the locker room. I'm not saying take a ton of them. But these kids come from some of the worst upbringings and sometimes just need to be around men. Ask Navorro Bowman. Ask Janoris Jenkins. Sooner or later, TD is going to have to trust that he has great guys in this locker room that can keep a guy in line. Not a paid guy like Edwards, who was satisfied with his check. I'm talking a hungry rookie that may have gotten in one too many fights (which is what being in the trenches for 60 minutes is by the way) or hung with some bad guys who got him in trouble or something. But not to the point where he should be removed from the board entirely. Guys like Montori Hughes or somebody with red flags that are fixable.

I'm not saying take a chance on a guy like Tyrann Mathieu, who obviously just can't put himself in positions to stay out of trouble. It's like the Filter is so unforgiving and most times, it's defensive players that we are passing on. Defensive players are more of the tough, knuckleheaded guys than the offensive players are. Offensive players tend to be more punkish/divaish than defenders (see: Crabtree, Young, Moss, Owens, CJ2K). If you make one mistake, you get black dotted, only for you to mature as a man elsewhere and your talent shine. These are 20-22 year olds. How many of us did some dumbshit around that age and regretted it? Most of us. To be so unyielding of some mistakes and not being able to see a man capable of correcting around guys like Spoon, Abe, Bab, Moore, Decoud and Samuel is a shame. Burfict is a prime example. He was just an overly emotional guy that couldn't control himself. He never got in trouble off the field or hurt anybody. He was a nice guy off the field actually. But the negative press got to him and he broke during the draft process, letting his weight get out of hand and performing poorly in workouts.

Enter Marvin Lewis, a guy who seems to turn every bad apple into a player. He sees he never gets in trouble off the field. That clearly shows he knows right from wrong. He only gets in trouble when his emotions get involved. As a man matures, he learns to control his emotions. Lewis provided him with the structure and got the first round talented UDFA to perform. http://espn.go.com/n...burfict-bum-rap

There was no risk in taking Burfict in the seventh or undrafted. We have the structure in the locker room. I'm not saying take a ton of them. But these kids come from some of the worst upbringings and sometimes just need to be around men. Ask Navorro Bowman. Ask Janoris Jenkins. Sooner or later, TD is going to have to trust that he has great guys in this locker room that can keep a guy in line. Not a paid guy like Edwards, who was satisfied with his check. I'm talking a hungry rookie that may have gotten in one too many fights (which is what being in the trenches for 60 minutes is by the way) or hung with some bad guys who got him in trouble or something. But not to the point where he should be removed from the board entirely. Guys like Montori Hughes or somebody with red flags that are fixable.

I do understand what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree with you as New England proved you can take a once questionable character into a well established locker room that can self-police. you just have to be careful.

the question is though is the Falcons locker room to that point yet. It seems like it took Bellichick several years of buidling that organization before he was comfortable doing that and you noticed he did this with veterans who had gotten later in the career and had become more mature.

I agree with you, Vel. The Falcons are sorely lacking in the stones department. And I don't think there's a more glaring example of that than the Panthers bad-mouthing the Falcons all week and the Falcons coming out like a bunch of sissies and getting slapped around and completely out-played that week-end.

Whether it's Falcons Filter related, or caused by the fact the current roster of Falcons has inherited a long legacy of disgrace and embarrassment which clings to them like a genetic disease, the plain and simple truth is this team plays with talent, but with absolutely no guts. What little swagger they managed this year was imported from the Eagles via Samuel, otherwise the team would've been completely devoid of any semblance of attitude.

I think this sad lack of "mean" has to be taken into account from here on out, both in FA acquistions and in the draft. The fact this team couldn't hold a 17-point lead in the biggest game it has played in years vs the 49ers at home is ample proof that it's going to take more than just a talented group of players and an assemblage of good coaches to get over the hump. As a franchise, you not only have to WANT it, you've got to have players who are alpha-male enough to look the other team in the eye and tell them you're going to take the game away from them and then have the balls to do it.

It's embarrassing to be known as a front-runner who is too weak to prevent the other team from getting up off the mat and taking the game away from them; yet, it was clear the 49ers were well aware the Falcons are front-runners who lack the heart to put a team away after grabbing a quick lead. Knowing that, the 49ers hung in there, came back and took the game and the NFC Championship away from the Falcons in their own house. Enough of that crap. Let's get some players in here with blood in their eyes and fire in their bellies. Players who can talk the talk and then go out on Sunday and walk the walk.

Edited by PokerSteve

I agree with you, Vel. The Falcons are sorely lacking in the stones department. And I don't think there's a more glaring example of that than the Panthers bad-mouthing the Falcons all week and the Falcons coming out like a bunch of sissies and getting slapped around and completely out-played that week-end.

Whether it's Falcons Filter related, or caused by the fact the current roster of Falcons has inherited a long legacy of disgrace and embarrassment which clings to them like a genetic disease, the plain and simple truth is this team plays with talent, but with absolutely no guts. What little swagger they managed this year was imported from the Eagles via Samuel, otherwise the team would've been completely devoid of any semblance of attitude.

I think this sad lack of "mean" has to be taken into account from here on out, both in FA acquistions and in the draft. The fact this team couldn't hold a 17-point lead in the biggest game it has played in years vs the 49ers at home is ample proof that it's going to take more than just a talented group of players and an assemblage of good coaches to get over the hump. As a franchise, you not only have to WANT it, you've got to have players who are alpha-male enough to look the other team in the eye and tell them you're going to take the game away from them and then have the balls to do it.

It's embarrassing to be known as a front-runner who is too weak to prevent the other team from getting up off the mat and taking the game away from them; yet, it was clear the 49ers were well aware the Falcons are front-runners who lack the heart to put a team away after grabbing a quick lead. Knowing that, the 49ers hung in there, came back and took the game and the NFC Championship away from the Falcons in their own house. Enough of that crap. Let's get some players in here with blood in their eyes and fire in their bellies. Players who can talk the talk and then go out on Sunday and walk the walk.

I love that little character in your sig. That sooo sums up how so many of us feel!!!!

I think Willie Mo has it.

Every team that has a nasty hard nose type reputation.... Its all starts with the Defense....

I just dont think what we have now doesnt have that nasty demeanor... To me it all starts with the front 4.... Look at the front 4 or the big guys and pass rushers (3-4 teams) .... They dictate the tone for those teams..... I feel like Spoon can shine with asome improvement and that improvement on D.

ill be honest... What we have now (front 4) .... I just dont see us getting there..... I can see us improving but what i think Vel want... I dont see it with this group.

Thats why i really be shocked by anything we do this offseason.

I look at what Coach Nolan had..... He likes a big D-Line

Bucs D kicks our asss every year when they are playing good football. Tell me I'm lying. Yes, they are a tough group. Same with the Panthers D. They may not be top units, but they punch us in the mouth once a year. When's the last time we've done that to either team?

Yes, we are the least penalized team. That's great. I'm not saying get penalty causing players. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady play with the biggest chips on their shoulders every single week even though they are already considered the best QBs in the league. We get a couple 13 win seasons under our belt and we see a 5 win team trot into town (Raiders, Cardinals) and expect our record to beat them.

Yes we were only ten yards away with this team, built like TD wants it. But this defense didn't play confident until a player with confidence and a boulder on his shoulder was added to the group in Asante. Nolan's scheme didn't do that. Even Decoud said it himself, they never heckled the offense and Matt Ryan in practice when they made big plays. When we were up on the Seahawks, players were shocked we were up like we were going into the locker room. That's an attitude problem, not a talent problem. None of the fans were surprised we were up so big because we have unyielding faith in our team. Why would players be surprised?

I actually think it was more of Mike Nolan if I'm honest I have a look at a guy like DeCoud could'nt cover with a da*m with BVG all of a sudden becomes a ball hawking safety.

Nolan just coached the guys and put them in positions to make plays.

I do understand where you are coming from I just don't think you need the chip on your shoulder rah rah type stuff to make you play better is all.

This team plays with a chip on their shoulders. Being a loud mouth, going around thumping your chest talking smack all week isn't playing with a chip on your shoulders.

Let me know how to see this because I don't see it and I'm not the only one on this board that doesn't see it. Panthers called us out on it and we sure lost it for that game.

I do understand what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree with you as New England proved you can take a once questionable character into a well established locker room that can self-police. you just have to be careful.

the question is though is the Falcons locker room to that point yet. It seems like it took Bellichick several years of buidling that organization before he was comfortable doing that and you noticed he did this with veterans who had gotten later in the career and had become more mature.

I think it is. We have a bunch of guys with great work ethics, attitudes and demeanors. But it can't be a Ray Edwards signing type. That's why I don't want Avril, I think he can turn into that after getting paid.

Thank you! We don't have those players! When we started losing the lead, whose going to stand up and demand that all 11 players on defense step the f*ck up and not blow this lead?! Asante is 180 pounds and new to the team. Our players were sitting on the bench in a daze. We were surprised we were up 20-0 on the Seahawks. THE SEAHAWKS!? Come on. If you didn't think you could put up a 20 point lead on the Seahawks, what makes you believe you can hold onto a 17-0 lead in the NFCCG? There is no dog in our defense. If we got into a 3-6 type game, I have no faith in our defense holding up for 60 minutes in that type of game. They need to be able to grab their nuts and dig in and stop teams. Don't have to dominate, but the way the Niners D stopped us and the Ravens to mount two of the biggest comebacks in postseason history, succeeding at one. The way the Ravens denied the Niners from taking the Super Bowl from them.

I seriously can't believe we let the PANTHERS talk sh*t about us publicly for a whole week and we did nothing about it. Nothing. If you think this defense has balls and fight in them, that's all the proof I need to prove you wrong. Yes, you can say you were looking to the Giants. But if somebody disrespects you like that repeatedly, you have to handle that. As a man. They didn't. We need players who will. Period.

Mike Smith

I am a Mike Smith Fan but I am not going to dismiss your thinking. A team often takes on the personality of their coach. If this is the problem then Smith needs to self-evaluate and show that fiery attitude side of him on a regular basis to the team I have seen glimpses of.

IF you are correct I believe he can make changes in his coaching style and is smart enough to figure it out.

I think the lack of penalties is a massive reason our record is so good. One stupid penalty in any of our really close games this year (plenty of them too) and all of a sudden our playoff seeding takes a hit. I'm happy not reading this player missed a route cos he feels disrespected, or players just plain not turning up, don't even get me started on Rothlesberger. I'm happy with our filter. Give it time and we will have a team built for multiple SB runs, and no dramas to contend with

Let me know how to see this because I don't see it and I'm not the only one on this board that doesn't see it. Panthers called us out on it and we sure lost it for that game.

Yeah, I think a lot of us feel this is an issue. It is just hard to put your finger on the cause and the solution. I truly believed we were going to smack Carolina allover their field that day and we played 'disinterested' to say the least. I don't mind getting outplayed but when someone challenges you with a record that is so inferior to you and you don't respond with attitude there is definitely something that needs to be addressed.

The good news is you just need 1 or 2 leaders to draw that out of a group of men. To convince them that they are not to be messed with. Samuel was a start but we got to find that physical linebacker or lineman who backs it up with physical dominance. I hoped that was going to be Spoon but either I was wrong or he needs help.

I think Willie Mo has it.

Every team that has a nasty hard nose type reputation.... Its all starts with the Defense....

I just dont think what we have now doesnt have that nasty demeanor... To me it all starts with the front 4.... Look at the front 4 or the big guys and pass rushers (3-4 teams) .... They dictate the tone for those teams..... I feel like Spoon can shine with asome improvement and that improvement on D.

ill be honest... What we have now (front 4) .... I just dont see us getting there..... I can see us improving but what i think Vel want... I dont see it with this group.

Thats why i really be shocked by anything we do this offseason.

I look at what Coach Nolan had..... He likes a big D-Line

I fully agree. Abe is nice. Bab is quiet. Biermann is a back up. Peters is nice. Where is the big ugly that will beat up whoever is in front of him? The big ugly that will make your life a living heIl for 60 minutes when you line up across from him. Nowhere to be found. That's why I'm glad we have Nolan. He knows what it takes. Every defense he had, he had a guy like what we are missing in our front 7. Lawrence Taylor, Michael Strahan, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Adalius Thomas, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Takeo Spikes. There are plenty more, but none of our front 7 guys compare to any of those players. Not even close. Abe is decent at this point in his career. Bab is a good player but old. No other DT is worth much to be honest. Biermann is a back up. Spoon is a good player. Dent is still learning. Nic is decent. That's what to work with? Not much. He worked wonders with this unit, but will look better after getting his kind of players this draft.

I actually think it was more of Mike Nolan if I'm honest I have a look at a guy like DeCoud could'nt cover with a da*m with BVG all of a sudden becomes a ball hawking safety.

Nolan just coached the guys and put them in positions to make plays.

I do understand where you are coming from I just don't think you need the chip on your shoulder rah rah type stuff to make you play better is all.

I think Decoud found some confidence, along with the rest of the secondary, when Asante came. Decoud said it, that he couldn't believe Asante was daring Ryan to throw the ball his way and egging him on and then dogging him out once he picked it off. That's not Nolan. Decoud said they fed off that and wanted to partake in the fun. Nolan put them in a scheme conducive to their skills, but Asante brought out the confidence in them. And I'm not asking for rah rah type stuff. I'm asking for alpha males like PokerSteve so eloquently put it. Men that won't let another group of men talk sh*t for a week and not have to answer to it. Men that won't give up 38-0 worth of leads in the Playoffs.

I think the lack of penalties is a massive reason our record is so good. One stupid penalty in any of our really close games this year (plenty of them too) and all of a sudden our playoff seeding takes a hit. I'm happy not reading this player missed a route cos he feels disrespected, or players just plain not turning up, don't even get me started on Rothlesberger. I'm happy with our filter. Give it time and we will have a team built for multiple SB runs, and no dramas to contend with

This is the definition of not reading what the OP wrote.

He didn't go out and say lets get the knuckles of the NCAA or NFL. Just get some guys that have an attitude that you ain't going to get pass me, tackle me or catch a pass over me. The guys that when you look in their eyes, they say F you, only when you are lined up against them.

Ain't no one said go get the murders and rapist of the league.

Not saying that I like the filter but it has got us this far.

I think it is. We have a bunch of guys with great work ethics, attitudes and demeanors. But it can't be a Ray Edwards signing type. That's why I don't want Avril, I think he can turn into that after getting paid.

Thank you! We don't have those players! When we started losing the lead, whose going to stand up and demand that all 11 players on defense step the f*ck up and not blow this lead?! Asante is 180 pounds and new to the team. Our players were sitting on the bench in a daze. We were surprised we were up 20-0 on the Seahawks. THE SEAHAWKS!? Come on. If you didn't think you could put up a 20 point lead on the Seahawks, what makes you believe you can hold onto a 17-0 lead in the NFCCG? There is no dog in our defense. If we got into a 3-6 type game, I have no faith in our defense holding up for 60 minutes in that type of game. They need to be able to grab their nuts and dig in and stop teams. Don't have to dominate, but the way the Niners D stopped us and the Ravens to mount two of the biggest comebacks in postseason history, succeeding at one. The way the Ravens denied the Niners from taking the Super Bowl from them.

I seriously can't believe we let the PANTHERS talk sh*t about us publicly for a whole week and we did nothing about it. Nothing. If you think this defense has balls and fight in them, that's all the proof I need to prove you wrong. Yes, you can say you were looking to the Giants. But if somebody disrespects you like that repeatedly, you have to handle that. As a man. They didn't. We need players who will. Period.

Exactly. Quoted for Truth.