The Fa De No One Is Talking About

freebird310

This guy is just coming into his own, after 4 years in the league he is becoming a very savvy DE with a developed skillset,and at 6-4 275 is a stud vs the run, would be alot cheaper than Avril, and is prolly a better, more complete DE overall....but of course, he is not sexy or anything .......

Michael Bennett

2012 - 9 sacks, 3 FF, 2 PD

220px-Michael_Bennett_%28defensive_lineman%29.JPG

Possibly.

You know he was a UDFA who worked his way up the ladder after 4 years in the league....they say it takes 3 years to fully develop an NFL DEs skillset, and he played some DT too......so he is probably at his peak right now, he does not have huge upside, but he could nail down that LDE spot for a couple years, and a hellluva lot cheaper than Avril ....

He's had only one good year...but he's looks interesting.

What's his story?

He's had only one good year...but he's looks interesting.

What's his story?

Here is a good read on him ......2012 was his breakout year.....sign him and draft a hog DT could go a long way to fixing D-line without busting our cap on another Edwards type deal that either Johnson or Avril would command ....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/17/secret-superstar-michael-bennett-de-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

Well he is UFA, he can go wherever he wants .....I'm sure he will get a market test ....

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

We're tight on cap space with several FAs to re-sign and an extension for Ryan that'll break the bank and ultimately hurt the team.

The Bucs have...like...40 million.

There's zero chance this guy is anywhere but TB next year. And yeah, more and more convinced that we need a DT in the top two rounds.

We're tight on cap space with several FAs to re-sign and an extension for Ryan that'll break the bank and ultimately hurt the team.

There's zero chance this guy is anywhere but TB next year. And yeah, more and more convinced that we need a DT in the top two rounds.

Maybe not, they would prolly franchise Miller first, if they franchise Bennett they got to pay him 10 million +, which he is not worth ....he has expressed a desire to play with his brother on NYG, but that aint happening, a contender like ATL might be attractive to him, you can not make a blanket statement that he absolutely will be a Suc in 2013....Also since when have the Glazers been known to throw money around, they got a high priced futbol team to worry about as well ....

Maybe not, they would prolly franchise Miller first, if they franchise Bennett they got to pay him 10 million +, which he is not worth ....he has expressed a desire to play with his brother on NYG, but that aint happening, a contender like ATL might be attractive to him, you can not make a blanket statement that he absolutely will be a Suc in 2013....

Bump this when he signs. Because he will. I'm making a blanket statement that he'll be a Buc in 2013 because he will. They don't need to franchise him. They just need to pay him. He won't go to us either way, we can't afford him.

Bump this when he signs. Because he will. I'm making a blanket statement that he'll be a Buc in 2013 because he will. They don't need to franchise him. They just need to pay him. He won't go to us either way, we can't afford him.

But we can afford Avril or Johnson ? ....Bennetts contract would be in the 5 million a year range prolly .....given a choice with a similiar contract would you rather be a Suc or a Bird right now ?

But we can afford Avril or Johnson ? ....Bennetts contract would be in the 5 million a year range prolly .....given a choice with a similiar contract would you rather be a Suc or a Bird right now ?

No, he'll get more than that. And we can't afford Avril or Johnson, where are you getting this stuff? We shouldn't go DE in FA this year period.

No, he'll get more than that. And we can't afford Avril or Johnson, where are you getting this stuff? We shouldn't go DE in FA this year period.

LOL, OK brah ......

Think what he's saying is that the good FAs will either be franchised or sign for way more money than the Falcons can afford. [ think Peppers or Williams]

Sure, it would be nice to have an Avril or a Johnson or a Bennett- but they'll either sign with their own teams, be franchised or cost way too much money.

Only cost effective way to get a good DE is to draft one.

Here is my opinion.

1. Technically, he is a one year wonder. So do you really want to give him 30 million when he does not have a long track record?

2. I need a real proven asset that can take over for Abraham as the #1 pass rusher for this team.

3. Plays for a division rivial, he is not a big name, so it would be cheap for the Bucs to resign him. I think they know more about him than anybody else.

4. While I liked Ray Edwards, he was 2nd behind the #1 DE Charles Johnson. Instead of breaking the bank for the #1 guy, we went with number two on a solid deal, but he wasn't even worth that. Basically it was Drew Bledsoe vs Rick Mirer, and we went with Rick Mirer.

Bottom linle, we are in NO position to miss on filling this DE/pass rusher void. Draft or free agency, we have to get it right. If you are unsure of guys like Bennett, just make a play on the top guy you feel good about but hate having to pay. You will not care about it when you are deep in the playoffs or Super Bowl and he is paying off big time. Much like how everybody feels about Julio now.

You know he was a UDFA who worked his way up the ladder after 4 years in the league....they say it takes 3 years to fully develop an NFL DEs skillset, and he played some DT too......so he is probably at his peak right now, he does not have huge upside, but he could nail down that LDE spot for a couple years, and a hellluva lot cheaper than Avril ....

I been thinking alot about Avril the last couple of days and the change of scenery and scheme could be what this guy needs.

I saw Dirty Birds thread the other day and outside of a $$$ he would be a perfect fit for a Mike Nolan defense so yeah while Bennett would be more suited to a 43 I honestly think Avril would be a better fit for the Falcons.

Maybe not, they would prolly franchise Miller first, if they franchise Bennett they got to pay him 10 million +, which he is not worth ....he has expressed a desire to play with his brother on NYG, but that aint happening, a contender like ATL might be attractive to him, you can not make a blanket statement that he absolutely will be a Suc in 2013....Also since when have the Glazers been known to throw money around, they got a high priced futbol team to worry about as well ....

Isnt the TE Bennet a FA aswell??

Maybe the falcons can pull a braves and get the Bennett brothers!!!

Both would fill a need ( Good atheltic TE with Tony leaving and solid pass rushing Dend)

Just because they have that much money it does not mean they will focus it on him.