Giovani Bernard

treefiddy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Bernard. He has breakaway speed and can catch the ball. I would not be opposed to him , but would be upset with a RB in the first. I could live with it but wouldn't actually like it.

Yeah, the only way we could take a RB with our 1st pick, and me not be upset, would be if we traded down. Remember, Nolan still hasn't signed that extension, and I'm not sure how long he'll stick around if we keep giving the draft picks to offense.

No way in the world i would take Bernard over Lacey. I almost guarantee that we are not going to draft him. He is the furthest thing from a tackle breaker. I am not saying we need some 240lb RB who just plods through breaking tackles, but we don't need a guy who goes down so easily.

Lacey is a complete back. Not saying he gets my #1 priority for our 1st pick, but i'd be ok with drafting him.

Actually this RB class is deeper than most in recent years. It's just that HS and College offenses continue to trend toward smaller speed backs due to the differences in the game at those levels. Thus, bigger guys like Lacy (and Lattimore) are getting rarer, and guys like Lonnie Pryor get moved to FB at FSU, Zach Line at SMU, thus effectively getting forgotten about as NFL RB material.

Conventional wisdom says don't pick a RB in the first round. But if we pick a bust at let's say DE in round 1 e.g.JA 98, then we are better off getting a RB. Let's see how fast they run at the Combine. We need some speed in the backfield and Quiz is not it.

Conventional wisdom says don't pick a RB in the first round. But if we pick a bust at let's say DE in round 1 e.g.JA 98, then we are better off getting a RB. Let's see how fast they run at the Combine. We need some speed in the backfield and Quiz is not it.

I think this. I am tired of being the only one. Quizz is shifty , he is not fast. I want someone out there with him!

RB is a priority,however, our weakness on the DL & lb spot(other than Spoon) is so glaring, that we have to address those needs with the best talent available in the early rounds. Good solid RB's can be drafted in later rounds, but our defense has to improve, we can't take the "we'll just outscore you" approach anymore, that cost us a Super Bowl. Defense has to be the priority this year

Edited by Rajhae Battle

I'd take Bernard over Lacy...

I know it sounds crazy but I think we need to divert from having a power RB to a more shiftier back that can turn small gains into big ones. Bernard has a style similar to Barry Sanders...that dude definitely has the footwork to make a play out of nothing. The only downside is that he doesn't have the strength to really punish defenders. Lacy on the other hand, has the build to break tackles and decent speed, but lacks the footwork to really make defenders miss a la CJ2K.

Both can catch out the backfield, but I believe Bernard would be a bigger threat. The one thing that really gave the edge to Bernard for me though was longevity. Aside from knee injuries, I think Bernard would have a longer career than Lacy due to his elusiveness. He avoids hits while Lacy relishes in dishing them, but who knows...how I see it is, with how "fast" the NFL is getting, I believe the last thing we need is another Turner clone, but one who has the ability to really make a defender miss and become another dual-threat out of the backfield...

...but not with our 1st of course. B)

The only way I'd want the Falcons to draft a RB in the first is if there was an Adrian Peterson type of talent available.

There isn't.

This. And whoever said Bernard goes down on contact is a joke. LOL. I watched his entire college career. Simply not true. I'd rather have Bernard over Lacy but neither in the first. Want Bernard or Stepfan Taylor