Matt Ryan's Comebacks

A b

I believe in Matt Ryan. He's a great quarterback. I have no doubt that he will lead us to win a Superbowl. However, he and the team in general need to pay attention to this critical aspect of the game that we thought we're good at but in reality I don't think so.

Everyone thinks Matt Ryan is the master of comebacks.. he won 16 games in a 4th qtr comebacks and 23 with a game winning-drive in his 5 year career.

I looked at the 16 comebacks and tried to see which of these games he was able to win when the team needed 4 points or more. Shockingly he only won ONE game against Tampa when we needed 4 points or more!! Two situations this year where we needed a TD to win where our team was inside the opponent's 10 yards and we failed, against the Saints and the 49ers.

I think I'm no longer upset about the loss to the niners or at least I felt much better to see them lose the same way we lost due to a non-called holding/PI. BUT I feel the falcons need to make extra effort focusing on situations like this where we need a TD to win!! Matt Ryan needs more wins like that in order to win a SB. Other than that, resign TG, sign an excellent RB, upgrade the RG position, move Konz to C, invest well in the draft and FA to upgrade the defense a little bit more, and Atlanta will definitely host the Lombardi trophy next year.

Edited by A b

But,but,but, Smitty get's nervous and antsy toward the end of a close game. How can Ryan possibly lead a team to victory that many times with a broken down RB, second rate OL, and of course no D. Plus he's not elite, there are at least 15 QB's better than him.

I have a feeling this is going to be a great draft for the Falcons, the chips are falling our way regarding team needs and BPA all at the same time.

Edited by citsalp

good post but what people dont realize is its harder to get the go ahead touchdown then to simply get in fg range, most of the great qbs are known for their come backs being the qb getting the team im fg range and the reason is unless its a home run pass u stil have to get your team inside the red zone and in the red zone u have less field to work with so in critical situations with the clock working against you, you become one demensional, do i think we need to work on those situations? absolutely

But he had others where we only needed 3 points or less and he threw a touchdown.

You see when he's in FG range to win or tie the game, he (or our head coach) are under less pressure, so we were able to score a TD to win e.g. against the Ravens in 2010, against Eagles in 2011. I want to see him score a TD when only a TD can win us the game!

He's great but we need him to be legen-dary lol!

That fact about Matt Ryan's comeback for me is that he shouldn't have half as many as he does. If this team could learn a little killer instinct and step on people's throats when we get them down there wouldn't be any need for comebacks. With that being said Matt has done a great job making plays at the end of the games.

That fact about Matt Ryan's comeback for me is that he shouldn't have half as many as he does. If this team could learn a little killer instinct and step on people's throats when we get them down there wouldn't be any need for comebacks. With that being said Matt has done a great job making plays at the end of the games.

Thats what I am talking about. So tired of losing leads and forcing him have to make a comeback in the first place. To be perfectly honest we are the type of team that "should" be dropping 50 burgers on a lot of teams.

Thats what I am talking about. So tired of losing leads and forcing him have to make a comeback in the first place. To be perfectly honest we are the type of team that "should" be dropping 50 burgers on a lot of teams.

I think that we could. But they get conservative and it almost comes back to bite us in the a**. We are lucky Matt Ryan and Matt Bryant have been there in the last minute to bail us out as often as they have.

I think that we could. But they get conservative and it almost comes back to bite us in the a**. We are lucky Matt Ryan and Matt Bryant have been there in the last minute to bail us out as often as they have.

I really wish we would go for more deep balls to JJ even with a good lead. That is one think I like about the Ravens play calling. They are always throwing deep whether it works or not. We have the fastest guy on the field and we should use that advantage more often. Just let JJ burn the DB rather then trying to run a route.

I really wish we would go for more deep balls to JJ even with a good lead. That is one think I like about the Ravens play calling. They are always throwing deep whether it works or not. We have the fastest guy on the field and we should use that advantage more often. Just let JJ burn the DB rather then trying to run a route.

Yea I agree with you. Case in point the NFC Championship game. Julio eats them alive in the 1st quarter. Then they just stop going to him for the most part. I dont care what anyone says. If I got Julio jones on fire like he was... I am force feeding him till they stop me. PERIOD

I believe in Matt Ryan. He's a great quarterback. I have no doubt that he will lead us to win a Superbowl. However, he and the team in general need to pay attention to this critical aspect of the game that we thought we're good at but in reality I don't think so.

Everyone thinks Matt Ryan is the master of comebacks.. he won 16 games in a 4th qtr comebacks and 23 with a game winning-drive in his 5 year career.

I looked at the 16 comebacks and tried to see which of these games he was able to win when the team needed 4 points or more. Shockingly he only won ONE game against Tampa when we needed 4 points or more!! Two situations this year where we needed a TD to win where our team was inside the opponent's 10 yards and we failed, against the Saints and the 49ers.

I think I'm no longer upset about the loss to the niners or at least I felt much better to see them lose the same way we lost due to a non-called holding/PI. BUT I feel the falcons need to make extra effort focusing on situations like this where we need a TD to win!! Matt Ryan needs more wins like that in order to win a SB. Other than that, resign TG, sign an excellent RB, upgrade the RG position, move Konz to C, invest well in the draft and FA to upgrade the defense a little bit more, and Atlanta will definitely host the Lombardi trophy next year.

You address some valid points. One thing to consider is that the current regime has been so consistent in the regular season that we rarely trail by more than 7 points late in the game which is a testament to the team and the organization as a whole.

My memory could be wrong but I thought we needed a last second touchdown to beat the Jets in NY. Ryan hit TD for the game winner as time expired or on 4th down...can't recall which

My memory could be wrong but I thought we needed a last second touchdown to beat the Jets in NY. Ryan hit TD for the game winner as time expired or on 4th down...can't recall which

Yes you're right! we were down 7 to 3 and Matt Ryan threw a TD to to Tony Gonzales with 1:38 left in the clock. So that makes them two games in his entire career so far.