Mhmm Prime

birdz4i

Deion Sanders doubts NFL’s concussion problem, says former players are looking for payday

It's no secret that Deion Sanders is arguably the worst broadcaster on television pulling a check these days. Pick any five minutes of his NFL Network appearances and you're likely to find five minutes of inane and uniformed bloviating that brings nothing to the table.

What Sanders said during Sunday's pregame show, however, may have proven to be Prime Time's low point. Despite player safety being the league's No. 1 talking point for much of the last year, Sanders scoffed at the suggestion that the NFL has a concussion problem and blamed former players for trying to capitalize off the issue.

Worse yet, he later took to Twitter to question whether brain trauma played any role in Junior Seau's suicide last year. As Deadspin notes, it would appear that Sanders has morphed into some sort of concussion "truther."

"The game is a safe game, the equipment is better," Sanders said on the NFL Network set. "I don't buy all these guys coming back with these concussions. I'm not buying all that. Half these guys are trying to make money off the deal. That's real talk. That's really how it is. I wish they'd be honest and tell the truth because it's keeping kids away from our game."

As for Seau's suicide, here's what he said to a Twitter follower who questioned Sanders' ill-advised take on concussions and brain trauma. (Sanders has since removed the tweet.)

Remember that doctors

have already linked Seau to chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative condition that can lead to memory loss, dementia and depression. Are we supposed to believe science or Sanders? It's not a hard choice.

Sanders is lucky that he's not suffering from any major post-career medical issues (he never tackled anyone hard enough to do any damage, as some have snarked.) He's also likely among the top 1 percent when it comes to career earnings so he doesn't have to worry about money like some former players who were dumped because of injury and disability.

Considering both of those factors, you can see why Sanders might remain ignorant to the health problems that plague many former players and worry others like Rodney Harrison, who says he's "scared to death" about what's to come.

It's a shame, though, that he's being airing such ignorance on a topic that's very important to many of his former teammates. On the league's cable network, no less.

it won t let me paste his tweet that he later deleted. here s linkage so you can see.

http://sports.yahoo....11441--nfl.html

thoughts?

My dad played in the NFL, hes all busted up but he aint crying ...it comes with the territory, you step on the field you understand and accept the inherent risks of the game. you can not protect EVERYONE from EVERYTHING ...I agree the old timers that built the game should get a share of todays game wealth, but you just can not prevent head injurys in this game unless you ban it entirely like Teddy Roosevelt wanted to do, that is the only way ....

My dad played in the NFL, hes all busted up but he aint crying ...it comes with the territory, you step on the field you understand and accept the inherent risks of the game. you can not protect EVERYONE from EVERYTHING ...I agree the old timers that built the game should get a share of todays game wealth, but you just can not prevent head injurys in this game unless you ban it entirely like Teddy Roosevelt wanted to do, that is the only way ....

or put flags on them the way goodell is trying.

When you sign up to play football you understand what you are getting yourself into. I'm legally blind in my right eye because my helmet came down across it and scratched my retina. You will get hurt playing this game. Not a matter of if but when. I think the NFL should cover all the ex players medical bills. But that's it. Don't want to get hurt go play table tennis

When you sign up to play football you understand what you are getting yourself into. I'm legally blind in my right eye because my helmet came down across it and scratched my retina. You will get hurt playing this game. Not a matter of if but when. I think the NFL should cover all the ex players medical bills. But that's it. Don't want to get hurt go play table tennis

Should face masking be against the rules?

Yes it should be. Like cut blocking should. I'm guessing you are trying to make some point. Care to share it

Thanks for asking. There were 19 deaths in college football in 1905. Violence was the very thing that appealed to fans of the new sport. They threatened to end it as a sport and rules were introduced to make it safer. These rules were eventually accepted and the sport thrived.

Speed ahead 100 years and you find that two things have occurred that threaten football just as the government did back then. First: Congress sticking its nose into the sport and holding hearings about concussions and how the league plans to address them. The last thing you or I want is OSHA to start paying attention to football, especially when guys are flying hard at other players, doing their d*mndest to make Sports Center that night with a big hit.

Second: Former players have sued the league because the NFL had conclusive evidence as to the long-term effects of concussions and lied to the players about it. Goodell either cleans it up or watches the former players become part owners of the league.

Players have gotten out of control. Look at what happened to Anquan Bolden. Dunta d*mn near killed DeSean Jackson (and himself). Oh, and Darryl Stingley was paralyzed because Jack Tatum was a sick son of a b*tch. If you think football's being watered down, wait and see what happens if they don't do it voluntarily.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying. Players have gotten bigger,stronger,faster. Violence is part of the attraction to the game. And I do think Congress should stay out of. But you know they won't. Goodell is trying to make it safer. And I'm glad that he is. But he will only be able to do so much. Something big and fast hit you it's gonna hurt. And players will only get bigger and stronger in the next few years

I think the league is doing what they can right now, and helmet manufactures too. I don't want to see the game change too much, but I understand if more needs to be done, I just don't know what.

I know I stated earlier that I agree with Deion to an extent about some players just wanting money, there was an article about J. Anderson some time ago about this, but there are many who do suffer effects from this, and for some it is catastrophic. I have always thought that the NFL should do more for the retired guys like Ditka/others are always fighting for. Know they have made some progress there too. It's a dilemma no doubt.

i hear ya. i had a 260lb lineman step on my wrist years ago and had to wear a brace for almost a year. i think the concern now is more about the knowledge of the training staffs to be able to indentify the signs and stop them from hurting themselves further until they have had some time to recover. too many "bell ringings" back in the day did take its toll on some i am sure, but as men and athletes it is tough to admit when we are truly hurt unless it is obvious.

anyways knee replacement surgery tomorrow so time for bed for i. ya ll hold it down against the trolls for me while i am M.I.A. tc all.