Falcons Wouldn't Consider This Would They. This Wouldn't Be Bright

leowolf

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution names John Abraham as a potential candidate for release.

The Falcons don't have much cap space, and they have a couple of contracts to hand out this offseason, one to Matt Ryan, who has one year left on his deal, and free agents SS William Moore and LT Sam Baker. Losing Abraham would be a major loss since he's the team's only legitimate pass rusher. Atlanta mustered up just 29 sacks in 2012, and Abraham had ten of them. The Falcons could save $10.4 million by cutting Abraham and Michael Turner.

I'd let him go, but that's just me. He fades over the second half of the season and injured or not would likely have disappeared in the playoffs. He is making way too much money to fill the role of situational pass rusher. I'm willing to take the immediate hit on our pass rush if it will help us develop one for the future.

Been saying it all season, there will be some popular names that get the axe next year. Not saying abe will be one but Alot of people will be mad in the end

But we need to improve our defense.... Man these fools on here don't understand what a salary cap is and we still need to resign Julio.

Pass rush is by far the Achilles heel of our team but at the same time we need to get some young guys down on that line. I hope they find a way to keep him but Abe's only getting older and I've been amazed he hasn't had the groin problems that plagued him earlier in his career.

Yea. i just read the article.... D-Led post some good info giving us the cap hit for each player but i dont think he is calculating it right...

Turner.. Example... He has

Turner’s base salary for 2013 increases from $5.5 million to $6.9 million because of an escalator clause from 2008 and 2010-11 performance incentives. He also has a prorated signing bonus of $2.5 million to absorb so the team’s net salary cap gain would be $4.4 million.

He is not bringing in that Turners full Cap hit is 8.9 mil ... You take the 2.5 (remaining bonus) from the 8.9 mil.... Not the 6.9 mil (base salary) ... His total cap hit is 8.9 mil not 6.9 mil

Anyway.. I dont see Abe going any where .... Unless they know for a fact they will get a younger guy in FA... I dont see it tho.... Dunta and Turner comes first.

He is our pass rush. If we cut Abe instead of Dunta, we just set ourselves back big time.

That said, AJC is just speculation, so I wouldn't put much stock in it.

The thing is, Dunta has been pretty effective since Asante came here. I would could him for the simply to increase the cap space, because I feel that someone else can do the same for cheaper. Abraham may have to walk. How effective will he be?