Matt Ryan Contract Extension Poll. What Should Falcons Do

leowolf

What should Falcons do  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should they offer him contract ext?

• Yes they should give Ryan & agent whatever they want he is our franchise QB
    • No allow him to play out his rookie contract at 10 million for 2013
    • Fair contract for team. Fair contract for Ryan and his agent
    • Trade him if his agent demands 18-20 million

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 years 95 million

6 years 85 million

give or take

So 13-15 million a year is fair to Ryan and the team? 18-20 is reason to trade him?

What happens when he gets somewhere between 15-17 million a year (which is what I think he'll get), is that still fair to the team or is that the pay him whatever he wants he's our franchise category? It's not in your trade category, but also doesn't fall in the parameters of what you just described as fair?

I'd love to get Ryan for less than his market value, but I have to be realistic that he's gonna get a pretty good deal here soon. Better hope Davis is ready for that #2 spot because there will be no couple million dollar priced backup from here on out.

Let him play out his contract. It gets the Falcons one year closer to a time when the salary cap is actually going to increase in a meaningful way (which isn't going to happen until 2016), and it gives Ryan a chance to prove he is the guy who can get it done in crunch time.

And it protects the Falcons from committing 40-50 million to a guy who could suffer a catastrophic injury at any time, as is the case with any NFL QB.

So 13-15 million a year is fair to Ryan and the team? 18-20 is reason to trade him?

What happens when he gets somewhere between 15-17 million a year (which is what I think he'll get), is that still fair to the team or is that the pay him whatever he wants he's our franchise category? It's not in your trade category, but also doesn't fall in the parameters of what you just described as fair?

I'd love to get Ryan for less than his market value, but I have to be realistic that he's gonna get a pretty good deal here soon. Better hope Davis is ready for that #2 spot because there will be no couple million dollar priced backup from here on out.

Team could live with Ryan making 15 mil per and its fair for him. I am looking at Ryan value right now which would be slighlty less than 15 mil. I dont think that holds a team hostage. I do believe 18-20 million holds a team hostage and would look to trade him if his contract demands were that big.

Those options aren't exactly subtle.

Also, if it was that easy, everyone would have a "fair" contract

A fair contract is 13-15 mil per roughly. That is fair for team and Ryan. Some people have different opinions of what fair truly is. Some people think Ryan shouldnt make 11 million per

It's easy to say "sign him to a fair contract".

It's much harder for a team and a player to actually agree on what is a "fair" contract.

And especially when other teams have been overpaying.

This is what I'm trying to establish here as well. 85/6 is 14.2 mil a year/ 95/7 is 13.6. Those are what OP deems fair to both.

Is 95/6 for an average of 15.8 still fair? What about 100/6 for 16.7?

If at 18 million a year it becomes unfair to the team and he needs to be traded, what does a contract like like 105/6 for an average of 17.5 feel like to the FO, Ryan, or us fans? A fair deal or too much? If it's much closer to the high end of the range than the low are we still getting him on a fair deal?