They Media Is Already Starting. Flacco Vs Brees Who Is Elite?

Trouble

They had different answers what makes a player Elite. One of the best answers comes when they mention Brees.

Money is what makes a player elite. The top tier in pay says your elite. Any QB could call them self elite. But until your franchise says "you are our man and our future. here is 20 mill a year". Your really not elite.

The Elite have the money.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, they both are Elite. Both are Super Bowl winning QBs who've also won the SB MVP award.

Its funny listing to the media trying to figure out what makes someone elite. Its like listing to a old mom trying to figure out what lol means.

Food for thought. If Breesus has his 3rd 7-9 season next season, not counting the 8-8 season, is he still elite because he won the one SB? Don't hate, that is a legitimate question...

Food for thought. If Ryan has his 5th one and done, or more commonly blank in the playoffs next season, not counting the success Falcco has had, does he slide to the middle of the pack because he can't win the bigger games? Don't hate, that is a legitimate question...

------------------------------------------------

Now I'll answer your question. Elite can change. If Brees continues to slide, he will no longer be elite. He was, and still is for now, elite.

It is just curious someone as great as Breesus cannot overcome the minor mishaps that has made his team subar 4 out of 7 seasons?

Funny.......

You feel this way about a future HOF player, SB MVP, holder of close to 40 NFL alltime records and a man who changed the dynamics of a franchise.

Then you have Ryan, they QB who has a team around him worthy of winning it all and yet he's taken 4 dumps in the playoffs, twice with the #1 seed, and you LOVE the direction the team is heading.

How can anyone take you seriously?

Food for thought. If Ryan has his 5th one and done, or more commonly blank in the playoffs next season, not counting the success Falcco has had, does he slide to the middle of the pack because he can't win the bigger games? Don't hate, that is a legitimate question...

------------------------------------------------

Now I'll answer your question. Elite can change. If Brees continues to slide, he will no longer be elite. He was, and still is for now, elite.

where exactly does the slide meter pass the elite line? another season of the saints missing the play offs and drew is no longer elite?

I got the feeling watching the Saints that I did watching the Panthers or the Bucs. Bad teams capable of playing hard individual games and losing to anyone, dying for major roster renovation. I don't think Brees was culpable in that mess so much as he masked how bad they really were last year. That said, I don't know why Saints fans are always so enamored with his records, they're certainly very shiny but their two best seasons with Brees were the two where he didn't throw the ball +630 times.

I got the feeling watching the Saints that I did watching the Panthers or the Bucs. Bad teams capable of playing hard individual games and losing to anyone, dying for major roster renovation. I don't think Brees was culpable in that mess so much as he masked how bad they really were last year. That said, I don't know why Saints fans are always so enamored with his records, they're certainly very shiny but their two best seasons with Brees were the two where he didn't throw the ball +630 times.

Roster overhaul? Please. And Saints Fans are enamored with Brees' records the sane way Falcons fans are enamored with Ryans accomplishments. Both sides use those as a way to validate both qbs, so don't act like it's just Saints Fans

Roster overhaul? Please. And Saints Fans are enamored with Brees' records the sane way Falcons fans are enamored with Ryans accomplishments. Both sides use those as a way to validate both qbs, so don't act like it's just Saints Fans

Saints fans have been saying for months they had one of the worst defenses in league history, and it was. I don't see how it's at all outrageous to say major changes need to be made if you start with the assumptions that Brees is the quarterback your organization wants starting in the Super Bowl and the rest of the team isn't even finishing at .500. If Brees has to be perfect anyway you might as well start the process of building a Super Bowl defense instead of being the early 2000's Chiefs for the rest of Brees's prime.

Saints fans have been saying for months they had one of the worst defenses in league history, and it was. I don't see how it's at all outrageous to say major changes need to be made if you start with the assumptions that Brees is the quarterback your organization wants starting in the Super Bowl and the rest of the team isn't even finishing at .500. If Brees has to be perfect anyway you might as well start the process of building a Super Bowl defense instead of being the early 2000's Chiefs for the rest of Brees's prime.

Would firing the DC and switching schemes to fit the bulk of your players be considered rebuilding the defense?

The problem is he had to throw that many times just to keep the team in games last year. I dont see where a team that wins 13, 11 & 13 games needs a MAJOR ROSTER RENOVATION

The defense needs to add pieces true, but they have talent to build around and don't need a major overhaul. Also, the Chiefs are a horrible comparison to the Saints cause the Saints have won on the highest level in Brees' prime while the Chiefs did not. If anything the Falcons are more like those early 2000 Chiefs then the Saints

I wouldn't mind a little bit of consistency here, Saints fans have been saying all year they fielded one of the worst defenses in the history of the league, and they did. Now y'all seem content with a scheme change because "it fits the players better." Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if the Saints fielded a completely non-competitive defense next season, or at least one lousy enough that they have to throw 650 times and play enough bad games that they miss the playoffs as a result, but how many defenses have ever gone to what the Saints had last year to good enough for a team to win the Super Bowl in one offseason, much less while changing as little as possible?

I wouldn't mind a little bit of consistency here, Saints fans have been saying all year they fielded one of the worst defenses in the history of the league, and they did. Now y'all seem content with a scheme change because "it fits the players better." Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if the Saints fielded a completely non-competitive defense next season, or at least one lousy enough that they have to throw 650 times and play enough bad games that they miss the playoffs as a result, but how many defenses have ever gone to what the Saints had last year to good enough for a team to win the Super Bowl in one offseason, much less while changing as little as possible?

Uh the 2008 Saints defense was horrible, maybe not as bad as this year's but still pretty bad. Changed DC, changed schemes in one offseason then went on to win the SB

Edited by meezy0236

Theres quite a few more but the results are actually in the saints favor

So we listed many of their defensive stats for the season prior to each team’s switch and the season after. From there, we could make a verdict on whether the switch had a:

1. Large Improvement

1. Slight Improvement

3. No Improvement or Decline

4. Slight Decline

5. Large Decline

As for the format of the stats, we’ll list it here:

Team Defense (4-3/3-4): Record, Points per Game Allowed, Turnovers Forced, Yards per Play, 1st Downs Allowed, Pass Yards Allowed, Pass TDs Allowed, Interceptions Forced, Yards per Attempt allowed, QB Rating allow, Sacks, Rush Yards Allowed, Rush TDs Allowed, Yards per Carry Allowed, 3rd Down Defense Stop Percentage

- We have their league rank that year in parenthesis

Ok now, let’s get started. We went from the AFC East to NFC West in order of division, not in any other particular order.

New York Jets

The Jets installed a 3-4 defense in 2006 with new head coach Eric Mangini.Previous coach Herm Edwards employed a 4-3, Tampa-2 defense.

Overall, the defense had a slight improvement in their switch from the 4-3 to 3-4 in the first season. New York had an elite pass defense in 2005, and although that declined a bit when they switched to the 3-4 the next year, the Jets still had a top 10 pass defense. Their bad rush defense did not improve, but overall, we have to consider this a slight improvement because of their improved pass rush, PPG allowed, and their much improved 3rd down defense.

Verdict: Slight Improvement

New England Patriots

Bill Bellichick was hired in 2000 for the Patriots, but they didn’t make the switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4 until 2003.

Bellichick’s philosophy was the 3-4 defense, but he didn’t implement it until 2003 when he acquired all the right pieces. The Patriots had an average defense in 2002 with their 4-3. They had an above average pass defense and a well-below average run defense. Their switch to the 3-4 improved the pass defense from borderline elite to the best in the game, and the switch also drastically improved their run defense from a bottom dwelling unit to top 10. The switch helped propel New England to a Lombardi Trophy in 2003.

Verdict: Large Improvement

Miami Dolphins

After a 1-15 2007 season, the Dolphins hired Tony Sporano and Bill Parcells to rebuild the team. The Dolphins switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in 2008.

The Dolphins showed a large improvement from their 2007 defense, which was one of the worst in the NFL. The pass defense stiffened up as well as the pass rush. In addition, the run defense which was one of the worst in the league in 2007 improved to an above average unit. Overall, they improved in nearly every area.

Verdict: Large Improvement

http://nflminds.blogspot.com/2011/06/immediate-impact-defenses-have-when.html