We Need A Dt, Not Another De, Here's Why....

sun3nee

It seemed by popular notion on this message board, that we need a super defensive end in order to create more pass rush in our defense. But after watching the game last night (and also reading how much of an impact Justin Smith makes on the niners defense), it is without a doubt, we need a big DT who can bring the pressure up the middle. After Smith's injury, the Niners pressure to the QB was never the same. Even our offensive line held their own very well in the championship game.

This will help superbly in our run game, and also if he can demand double teams, Peters/Babs can get more penetration to the QB. Also, how many times have we seen Kroy get literally a milli-second too late to the QB this year. Getting more pressure up the middle, can allow Kroy to possibly get to double digits in sacks in a season.

Remember when Ray Lewis came out to the media, pleading for a big DT? That same draft, the Ravens got Ngata, and their defense was back to basics.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DE if you have a look at the production of that position down the stretch against the Seahawks & Niners really it was nie on pathetic if you have a look at where all the TD's the 9ers and big runs the 9ers made it was made on the outside where our DE's were positioned.

For me DE has always been an issue and run D especially I mean we went smoke and mirrors to cover this up by going with a 3 DT look to try and combat the run.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I don't know who's available in the draft, because I haven't followed college football this year, but getting a good big DT helps solves two problems, both our run and pass game. Getting a good defensive end only solves one. The niners defensive ends struggled last night and were literally non existent, because Justin Smith wasn't 100%.

I would love to see a big man in the middle but with Abe getting up there in age we need to lock down his replacement. And we really haven't seen fireworks out of the younger guys we have now. Im not saying they are not capable. But with any draft you always take a risk of a bust. If we can find a good DE in FA I would love to see a DT in the first round but until then I say go DE

and we don t have meier, quizzes brother, drew davis, cone and a few others?

Drew Davis seems like a solid option when given the chance, but I still believe HD is our best option at the slot. Even if we draft a WR (who probably can fit our need at punt return and kick return), HD will still hold the slot job imo.