The One Risky/bad Character Player We Should Take A Chance On

The Dirty Bird

I made a thread before that was based like a poll asking which player in the later rounds would people want to take a chance on -- the players were 1st or 2nd round talents and were going to be going in the 4th-7th range.

At the time, I had listed out:

CB/RS Tyrann Mathieu, ex-LSU

WR Marquess Wilson, ex-Washington State

RB Michael Dyer, ex-Auburn

WR Da'Rick Rodgers, ex-Tennessee (imo going to be a 2nd rounder, so shouldnt be in this conversation)

And then going back through all of the prospects for this draft, I stumbled upon someone I actually forgot was even draft eligible. And he may fill one of our biggest needs in a big way.

DT Montori Hughes, ex-Tennessee

Hughes is a 6'4, 330 behemoth who is a stud DT. He was a little inconsistent at times at Tennessee, but plays with a chip on his shoulder that has only grown since his dismissal from the program for academic violations.

From my understanding, he can play Day 1 as a 3-4 NT but also has very good power and quickness to be a difference-maker as a 4-3 DT.

As a 4-3 DT this last season at Tennessee-Martin after being dismissed from UT, he had 42 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, and a swatted pass.

He also had a really strong Senior Bowl week of practices, but had a foot sprain that prevented him from playing in the game. I also think, and this is kind of a conspiracy theory, that the Chiefs coaches who were running the team shut him down and out of the game so he couldn't blow up his stock and they could take him in the 5th or 6th round.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/24/3912490/senior-bowl-2013-practice-updates

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1500840-10-college-football-players-who-will-surprise-in-2013-senior-bowl/page/8

Hughes is a legitimate 1st round talent, with amazing strength, power, and pocket-collapsing ability. He's also scheme diverse, which is rare when looking at a potential 3-4 NT. But he is someone that could line up Day 1 next to Babs and immediately improve our 4-3 run D and pass D in helping to collapse the pocket, and also give us the flexibility to move to a 3-4 with him as the nose tackle.

If he had the kind of season he had at a big school as a senior he'd be a Top 20 pick and could rise the way of Dontari Poe into the Top 10 to a 3-4 team, except he's a much better football player than Poe.

Instead of looking at maybe the #2 DT taken after Star from Utah, he's looking at the back of the draft, round 5-7.

I wouldn't mind taking him at the end of the 4th because he's the ideal mix of positional need and grade A talent, and I would be worried of the Chiefs or another team taking him in the early 5th.

But adding him at the end of the 4th or 5th nets us a starter with Day 1 talent, fills a gaping need inside our defense (pun intended), and allows us to use picks 1-3 on other needs where we can't wait on starting talent for later.

1) DE

2) RB

3) OG

4) cover LB

4 comp pick from Lofton) Montori Hughes, DT

I really hope we truly consider this guy.

There are only a few DTs that would definitely start in our defense and allow us to move between a 4-3 and 3-4:

Star Lotulelei

John Hankins

John Jenkins

Montori Hughes

The 1st 3 are going to be 1st round picks, and likely before we go on the clock, and the last one may actually be the 2nd best prospect but go in Rounds 5-7.

You want no part of Wilson. Coach got on him about his attitude and he basically tried to turn WAZZU into a media circus with the abuse thing that burned Leach at Texas Tech. Any player that uses the media as a weapon against their coach when they're being lazy prima donnas needs to stay the heck away from this team. Talented player but the dude has the attitude of a spoiled 10 year old. F him.

You want no part of Wilson. Coach got on him about his attitude and he basically tried to turn WAZZU into a media circus with the abuse thing that burned Leach at Texas Tech. Any player that uses the media as a weapon against their coach when they're being lazy prima donnas needs to stay the heck away from this team. Talented player but the dude has the attitude of a spoiled 10 year old. F him.

I still like Wilson as a prospect, but this thread is certainly about Montori Hughes.

Every other player in that list was dismissed for some kind of bad off-field issue or poor work ethic. Hughes was having trouble with his grades, and couldn't get them together. A few academic violations and he was dismissed for his senior year.

The kid will work hard, and he is a high intensity defensive player on the field. He has an attitude about him that reminds me a little of Warren Sapp's attitude after hearing some things about him on NFL Network yesterday for his HOF acceptance. He knows you can't take any plays off, and that if you're going to try to block him....you better have packed a hard hat and a big lunch.

This kid's intensity and pure Top 20 talent with Nolan's intensity and defensive genius.....I just really want them together here in Atlanta.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

I've been on his train for a minute. He's just good and eats blocks. That would make our line and LBs better against the run. He's very wide and can stack doubles and push back single blocks.

Thank you for the video.

But if this guy was available and so was Geathers in the third......I go with Geathers in a heart beat.