Interesting Read On Okafor

OC

So what started off as me looking up possible LDE solutions, I came across something written up on Okafor (who we might be interested in). From http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664175/alex-okafor:

STRENGTHS: Displays strong hand play, chopping away at his opponents' attempts to get their hands on his chest or using an effective arm-over swim move to slip by them. High-revving motor. Arrived at the Senior Bowl leaner. Good overall athlete. Most impressive attribute is his power. Okafor can knock opponents onto their heels on his way to the quarterback and also sets the edge nicely as a run defender. Okafor's ability to make plays against the run and pass makes him arguably the most well-rounded senior defensive end in the country.

WEAKNESSES: Has the body of a classic RDE speed rusher but the game better suited to playing the left side as a run-defender. Lacks quick-twitch burst and isn't a speed rusher, as indicated by the fact that Texas initially lined him up at defensive tackle.

Slightly stiff upper body demonstrated by his struggles in changing directions, making him a better candidate to remain as a defensive end rather than dropping back into coverage, as he was occasionally also asked to do at Texas. Came in lighter than expected at the Senior Bowl at 261 pounds. Was arrested in May 2012 for "failure to obey," though the charges were later dropped.

COMPARES TO: Ray Edwards, DE, ex-Atlanta Falcons -- A team expecting Okafor to become a lightning-quick speed edge rusher will be disappointed. However, his strength, length and high effort could make him a fine addition as a left defensive end capable of holding up against the run and proving a solid supplemental pass rusher.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Okafor fits what we need. Okafor has a better attitude and isn't about being famous and rich. Okafor didn't benefit from the Williams Wall. Okafor is a better player as a college player than Edwards was here. I think Orakpo is a better comparison.

Okafor fits what we need. Okafor has a better attitude and isn't about being famous and rich. Okafor didn't benefit from the Williams Wall. Okafor is a better player as a college player than Edwards was here. I think Orakpo is a better comparison.

Not really. Orakpo was primarily a speed rusher coming out of college while Okafor is primarily a bull rusher.

Only tape I have is YouTube.. But he only looked good against the smaller tackles he went up against. Rather take a DT if ansah and Jordan are not available. A guy I havent heard mentioned much on this board is Jesse Williams to me he a Ngata clone and exactly what we need from a big DT

Only tape I have is YouTube.. But he only looked good against the smaller tackles he went up against. Rather take a DT if ansah and Jordan are not available. A guy I havent heard mentioned much on this board is Jesse Williams to me he a Ngata clone and exactly what we need from a big DT

Haha , talk about a good way to make Atlanta fans not like a guy. Just compare him to the underwear model with show muscles.

that would do it. it took Ryne about 0.00000000000001 second to swear-off Okafor when the blogger invoked the comparison of Ray Edwards.

just because some talking head - or worse - an internet blogger living in mommy's basement - compares Okafor to Ray Edwards does not make it so.

First off it was a joke. I watch players myself before forming any opinion on them. Secondly it doesn't mean it isn't true either.

Don't get your panties in a bunch

Edited by RYNE15

with Ray Hamilton coachin' him up Massaquoi will develop like Lawrence Sidbury.

I agree. I'm not getting the continued ray Hamilton love. He has not exactly developed any DLinemen. Babs came in as a 2nd rounder and has been good. Abe was great before he got to falcons. Who has Hamilton really developed into even serviceable?

I agree. I'm not getting the continued ray Hamilton love. He has not exactly developed any DLinemen. Babs came in as a 2nd rounder and has been good. Abe was great before he got to falcons. Who has Hamilton really developed into even serviceable?

Abe was established star before he got to Atlanta - Babineaux was drafted by previous regime and he was good before Hamilton got here.

Hamilton has made NO ONE better. No one has developed under him.

Peters when he's not coming off a fractured foot, Walker, and Robertson looked good when he had a chance. I can't really fault him for Jerry since his knee blew out almost immediately. He's just terrible with edge rushers, which leads me to believe Hamilton would make a good D-line coach for a 3-4 team.

Edited by Psychic Gibbon