The Problem With Not Maintaining A Lead (A Discussion)

Kizu_7

I'm not here to really make a case one way or the other, but I see lots of mock drafts with defense dominating the first few rounds. I realize the defense was a serious weak point. However, looking at the SF game, ATL was up by 17. Why can that lead not be maintained throughout. The other team is going to score, the league is set up that way.

Anyway I'm hoping not to attract too many 'Fire Mike Smith, for playing it safe' trolls. Hope to see some actual discussion. IMO the offensive line needs the most help, and in relation the run game. The offensive is explosive and can put up points, but they need to be able to run some clock as well. As for defensive, pressure is great ... especially after watching russel Wilson have all day to find zack miller. I just wouldn't spend the first three picks in the DL.

Anyway, what are some thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i also think that they get complacent once we get the lead and then what happens is, the other team gets hot after we have cooled down and then we cannot seem to get warmed up again.

what I also wonder is for example:

Ryan throws to Julio, SF adjusts and stops that, but there is no adjustment or poor adjustment by Atlanta's staff and that causes a stall.

Turner got hurt we couldn't run the ball. That why our offense stalled. Our defense needs to improve more then offense. There are alot of good defensive players in this draft. Besides on our line we only need a RB, and TE on offense.

Not like he woulda made a difference

what I also wonder is for example:

Ryan throws to Julio, SF adjusts and stops that, but there is no adjustment or poor adjustment by Atlanta's staff and that causes a stall.

i cant really give specific examples right now off the top of my head but, yes. I noticed the adjustments made at the half by SF and we had no counter point for them. I did not like like the fact that we thew very little screens passes in that game. It seems to me that when we throw screens to Rodgers he some how finds a way to break tackles and make plays. It appear as if we were trying to hard to push the ball down the field with little to no run game what-so-ever. I think if they would have thrown more screens into the game plan it would have thrown SF off just enough for us to keep the ball and clock moving.

I beg to differ, he was on fire in the game against Seahawks. How well did you think he was going to run against the number 1 rush D though?

Not talking about the seahawks talking about the niners. I said i doubt he woulda made a difference against the niners in the second half.

I think it's simply lack of beef on both lines. The D tackles particularly get worn down over a game and have a hard time generating pressure one on one or occupying blocks that free up the DEnds/ LBs to make plays.

On offense, McClure is a smaller player and gets pushed back into the QB too much.

Drafting on the Oline has been much different lately- there are some very large humans on the second string- Manley, Holmes, Konz is much bigger than McClure and will probably take his place next year. Next year's Oline could average 6'4" and 320 LBs. That should go a long ways to helping balance the passing game with the run game.

Be really surprised if the Falcons don't draft a big D tackle in this draft- there are some good prospects in all of the first 4 rounds.

You can word it how you like. You will never get around the fact that it was the defense that lost the SF game. Yes , they were bound to score. That is still no reason why we should ever make an excuse for for the 2nd straight playoff game allowing a team to come back from a 17-20pt lead after the half. The defense completely gave up after the half. That is why it must be fixed.

You can word it how you like. You will never get around the fact that it was the defense that lost the SF game. Yes , they were bound to score. That is still no reason why we should ever make an excuse for for the 2nd straight playoff game allowing a team to come back from a 17-20pt lead after the half. The defense completely gave up after the half. That is why it must be fixed.

We need a pass rusher badly n i honestly think we can go back to the nfc champ game

Right... The Niners were bound to score... yet you blame the defense when the Offense Turned the ball over 2 times on their side of the field... on both those plays i believe they were in range for a FG so if you add those 6 points... PLUS not having to go for a TD on the last drive and getting another FG. Its a win.

If you want to blame the D then blame them for stupid BS penalties like the Personal fouls on Kaepernick and Nicholas.

We were up by 10 at the half not 17 not 20... 10 the D gave up 2 touchdown in 2 quarters. The offense put up ZERO in 2 quarters

Edited by jl01102jl

Right... The Niners were bound to score... yet you blame the defense when the Offense Turned the ball over 2 times on their side of the field... on both those plays i believe they were in range for a FG so if you add those 6 points... PLUS not having to go for a TD on the last drive and getting another FG. Its a win.

If you want to blame the D then blame them for stupid BS penalties like the Personal fouls on Kaepernick and Nicholas.

Again.

the Defense did their job. we were up 10 at half not 17 or 20 .... the offense scored 0 points to their's scoring 14. thats 2 TDs in 2 quarters thats not bad defense thats bad offense. not to mention the TOP because of our bad OFFENSE was terrible and it made our D stay on the field most of the second half. you guys are blind if you think the Defense lost it for us. could they have done better ? Sure but our Offense IS better and they did not pull their weight.

the Defense did their job. we were up 10 at half not 17 or 20 .... the offense scored 0 points to their's scoring 14. thats 2 TDs in 2 quarters thats not bad defense thats bad offense. not to mention the TOP because of our bad OFFENSE was terrible and it made our D stay on the field most of the second half. you guys are blind if you think the Defense lost it for us. could they have done better ? Sure but our Offense IS better and they did not pull their weight.

Defense did not do their job. 28pts in a playoff game is a travesty. The offense put up nearly 500yds and had a substantial lead at one point. Its exactly like I said , you can word it how you like. That won't change the facts.

so the fact that the offense turned the ball over 2 times and scored 0 points in the second half didnt affect the game?

The falcons are an OFFENSIVE TEAM. 0 points in the 2nd HALF and 2 turnovers made our defense take the field FAR to many times.

The real travesty my friend is this "explosive" offense with all its weapons and power not scoring a single point in the 2nd half.

Revamp the line and become balanced so that we can maintain a lead. The defense is fine