Is De Really Our Biggest Need?

This is an honest question. Is a pass rusher really our biggest need? Even the biggest need on defense?

I thought in Nolan's first year we were able to get decent pressure on QBs. I'm not talking about stats and sacks necessarily but we didn't really let QBs be comfortable in the pocket. We made both Mannings and Brees and Rivers look miserable. It was only against option offense that we were exposed where we had to play containment. Against those option QBs a speedy edge rusher is not going to be the answer anyway. We looked terrible against those teams because a) we couldn't generate pressure in the middle, and B) we didn't have personnel beyond the DL to attack the option.

I'm not saying we don't need a DE because our team will be better with a good one and this is a deep draft for pass rushers. However our main problems on D were inconsistency in being disruptive in the middle in trenches, failure to cover TEs effectively, and poor safety play every now and then. I would rank edge pressure behind those areas. I think finding a disruptive DT and a good cover LB should be the primary focus for our D.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big azz mean very skilled DT would make me happy.

I agree, I say our DE play lacks due to absolutely next to no push from DTs . I always see our DE screaming around the qb in the backfield but they are always within arms reach due to the fact that the DT's get no push and the qb just steps up and bangs his target, or steps up and takes off.

If the DT's push the qb will start backing up into the pass rush, and one of two things will start to happen, Bad throws off the back foot and interceptions or sack strips and fumbles which are huge demoralizing plays that force punts

Well we had 6 DEs play on the team counting Edwards. In a pass happy league, DE not numbered 55 collectivley managed 4 sacks (all by Biermann) for the entire year....4 sacks......I would yes, if we want to stop the pass then DE should be a top priority on D either through FA or high draft pick.

I agree we need more push from DTs, however If DT were the sole problem then Abe would not have gotten 10 sacks..he git his because of talent...the problem is we do not have any other pass rushers on the team.

Edited by AEFalcon

Russell Wilson and Kaepernick looked like they were playing in the Pro Bowl when they played against the Falcons. That's just how bad the pass rush was.

That's the point. A good pass rusher would have still been asked to maintain containment against those two. A speedy rusher doesn't help with Wilson and Kaepernick.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

I would say that DE, DT, and MLB(or a LB that can cover and play the run very well and move Spoon inside) are all equally important in my opinion.

Yep.

I agree, I say our DE play lacks due to absolutely next to no push from DTs . I always see our DE screaming around the qb in the backfield but they are always within arms reach due to the fact that the DT's get no push and the qb just steps up and bangs his target, or steps up and takes off.

If the DT's push the qb will start backing up into the pass rush, and one of two things will start to happen, Bad throws off the back foot and interceptions or sack strips and fumbles which are huge demoralizing plays that force punts

Yeah , the DEs get back there they just come from the way outside and try to grab in and usually whiff right by the QB. I think a DT would fix that.

Now that doesn't mean I don't want a DE. I want one of those as well. I just think a DT helps a lot more at first.

I like your assessment Op been debating this one myself. I think they are almost go hand in hand as far as our needs in this. Our problem to me is that on the line we have a bunch of average defenders. No one has a strong suit. If we are going for a pass rusher let's go for a guy that is tactician at the position. If we want a Dt let's decide If we want a runstopper or a penatrater. I know it sounds like I'm saying letss get les diverse players but I'm not. I'm just trying to make the point that we need to hit on players that actually have strengths that offenses will have to worry about.

speaking of DT, what do you guys think of Travian Robertson?

I like him. Have to wait to see what he does next year, but he's right below Vance Walker for me, who I think is our number two DT. Peters is pretty good too. I honestly don't know what it is...we have a good bit of DT talent, it seems, but they're mostly rotation guys. We need someone next to Babs who can punish blockers and soak up space.

Randy Starks is my guy...not huge or anything, but man can he ball. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a mammoth DT in the draft too though.

Guest King Jigsaw

Honestly if we had another edge rusher opposite of Abraham then I think our DT's would get a better push. With no DE threat the center and guard get to double-team Babs and our entire D-Line gets blocked with ease. I think any talent drafted on the D-Line is going to help us get better, that's obvious, but given our DT rotation and an aging Abraham, I think DE is a better use with our first pick.

Also, are there any DT's that we could pick at 30 (barring a tradeback) that would impact our team as much as Okafor, Warford, or Lacy?

Honestly if we had another edge rusher opposite of Abraham then I think our DT's would get a better push. With no DE threat the center and guard get to double-team Babs and our entire D-Line gets blocked with ease. I think any talent drafted on the D-Line is going to help us get better, that's obvious, but given our DT rotation and an aging Abraham, I think DE is a better use with our first pick.

Also, are there any DT's that we could pick at 30 (barring a tradeback) that would impact our team as much as Okafor, Warford, or Lacy?

Kawaan Short.