Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2013 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

329 posts in this topic

I don't see any dominant team in the AL East. Right now the Jays are the most talented. But I will have to see that pitching staff. I think if the Sox get Ortiz back soon they will win it

The Red Sox have the worst pitching staff in the AL East. They ain't winning anything. They may not even have a 90 win team in that division this year.

Soooo close to Opening Day you can almost taste it

Today will go by pretty fast because all day on CSS is college baseball. But tomorrow will go by SLOW!

I just got an ESPN alert that Venters will be shut down for 4 weeks after getting a platelet-rich infusion into his arm.

I don't know what that is but anything is better than Tommy John.

Ratings increase: Through the first nine games of the Braves season, Fox Sports South and SportSouth averaged a 5.26 rating that was 36 percent higher than it was through the first nine games in 2012. The opening-day game against the Phillies had an 8.87 rating and a peak of 11.25 in the 10 p.m. quarter-hour, the highest-rated opening day game for the Braves since the 2000 game drew an 11.80 for TBS.

Did anyone notice that the Braves made a slight uniform change? I sure didn't until I read this just now.

Uniform change: The Braves wore new pants in Monday’s game. They are nearly identical to their regular grey road pants, but have only blue piping down the pant legs instead of blue and red. They will wear them with their alternate navy road jerseys, and continue to wear the other pants with the regular grey road jersey.

166251906.jpg

Jason+Heyward+Atlanta+Braves+v+Miami+Marlins+_pYk0uztxT0x.jpg

I'm almost concerned that the Braves are getting to far away from the root of what made this set of uniforms that they've worn since 1987 so special and good looking with each passing year introducing more and more blue into the fold for the road uniforms. First it was the blue jerseys in 2008. Which I admit I love. Then the next year it was the solid blue hats to be worn with the blue jerseys on the road. Then the next year it was always wearing the solid blue hats on the road regardless of which jersey they were wearing. Now the change to the pants for when they wear the blue jerseys. Makes me miss the old look of the road uniforms.

285020.jpg.2261_display_image.jpg?1268341632

I'm almost concerned that the Braves are getting to far away from the root of what made this set of uniforms that they've worn since 1987 so special and good looking with each passing year introducing more and more blue into the fold for the road uniforms. First it was the blue jerseys in 2008. Which I admit I love. Then the next year it was the solid blue hats to be worn with the blue jerseys on the road. Then the next year it was always wearing the solid blue hats on the road regardless of which jersey they were wearing. Now the change to the pants for when they wear the blue jerseys. Makes me miss the old look of the road uniforms.

285020.jpg.2261_display_image.jpg?1268341632

I never liked the old away uni's so the change is great in my opinion.

From MLBTR

The Blue Jays have inquired on Braves shortstop Tyler Pastornicky, according to Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (on Twitter). The Blue Jays are apparently looking out-of-house for some reinforcements after learning that Jose Reyes will be sidelined for three months with a severely sprained left ankle.

Toronto traded Pastornicky to Atlanta in July of 2010 along with Alex Gonzalez and Tim Collins in the deal that brought back Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes. Last year was the 23-year-old's first season in the majors and he posted a .243/.287/.325 slash line in 76 games.

Be interesting to see what Wren does if the Jays are willing to pay a decent price. Pena is red hot and Janish will be back soon as well. Rev's hitting ability may be enough to keep him since Janish isnt much of a hitter.

From MLBTR

The Blue Jays have inquired on Braves shortstop Tyler Pastornicky, according to Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (on Twitter). The Blue Jays are apparently looking out-of-house for some reinforcements after learning that Jose Reyes will be sidelined for three months with a severely sprained left ankle.

Toronto traded Pastornicky to Atlanta in July of 2010 along with Alex Gonzalez and Tim Collins in the deal that brought back Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes. Last year was the 23-year-old's first season in the majors and he posted a .243/.287/.325 slash line in 76 games.

It definitely wouldn't surprise me to see a trade. Pastornicky can definitely hit at the MLB level but his defense is never going to be much better than it is right now. With the way Pena has hit since he put a Braves uniform on there's no spot for Pastor with the Braves at the MLB level.

Interesting. With Pastornicky's D, he's a subpar 2B/utility infielder at best. Now, there is always room for guys like that, especially if they can hit, but if Pena can continue to give us something offensively (it's nice that he's more versatile), I'd take a prospect or two for Pastornicky...just depends on the package of course.

If not, keep him in the minors and we will re-evaluate toward the middle and end of the season once we see how Pena and Uggla do with more ABs.

From MLBTR

Do they have any good 3b prospects in their system?

Jays have a good system but 3B isnt a strong spot in it. They have Mitch Nay who they picked up with the #58 pick in the draft last year. He's very raw but with a ton of power. Not to mention there are some that question whether he can play 3B at the MLB level. I believe Keith Law projected he'll have to move to RF. He still might be their best 3B prospect though.

Will be interesting to see what Wren does. I wonder do they have any starting pitcher prospects with power arms? That's what I would try to get if I was Wren

Will be interesting to see what Wren does. I wonder do they have any starting pitcher prospects with power arms? That's what I would try to get if I was Wren

Not really. They were pretty tapped out after the trade with the Marlins (on top of being an OK system to begin with).

The Blue Jays have a couple of intriguing arms in the lower minors. Aaron Sanchez (20) and Roberto Osuna (17) both have + arms and a lot of developmental room left.