Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2013 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

329 posts in this topic

Uggla's long stretches of futility have clouded the fact that he had one long stretch of success spread over the course of the past two seasons. Accounting for his final 75 games in 2011 and the first 55 he played this past year, Uggla combined to hit .291 with 34 home runs and a .938 OPS. This sample size of 130 games accounts for a little more than 40 percent of the games Uggla has played with the Braves.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41127862&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl

Expecting some big things from Uggla this year. The Uptons take a lot of pressure off Uggla so hopefully hes able to relax and get back to where he should be.

Expecting some big things from Uggla this year. The Uptons take a lot of pressure off Uggla so hopefully hes able to relax and get back to where he should be.

I'm pulling for Uggs. i will say this about him, often when high price free agent struggle they become a distraction and a cancer to the team. To Uggs credit, he has always been a good team mate. Says alot about him in a good way.

from mlbtr

• The Braves haven't talked to Jason Heyward about a long-term extension, MLB.com's Mark Bowman reports. Heyward was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter and agreed to a one-year, $3.65MM deal for 2013. Heyward is under team control through the 2015 season. Bowman thinks the Braves could also talk to Craig Kimbrel and Freddie Freeman about multiyear deals before the season begins.
  • Also from Bowman's story, Braves CEO and chairman Terry McGuirk said the organization is willing to spend to keep the team in contention for years to come. "Money is not going to stand between us and getting it done at this point because we are that close," McGuirk said. "I'm talking about [the] long term and short term. I'm talking about talent that is here and talent that isn't here."

from mlbtr

• The Braves haven't talked to Jason Heyward about a long-term extension, MLB.com's Mark Bowman reports. Heyward was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter and agreed to a one-year, $3.65MM deal for 2013. Heyward is under team control through the 2015 season. Bowman thinks the Braves could also talk to Craig Kimbrel and Freddie Freeman about multiyear deals before the season begins.
  • Also from Bowman's story, Braves CEO and chairman Terry McGuirk said the organization is willing to spend to keep the team in contention for years to come. "Money is not going to stand between us and getting it done at this point because we are that close," McGuirk said. "I'm talking about [the] long term and short term. I'm talking about talent that is here and talent that isn't here."

I sure hope that's true. It would be a **** shame to not be able to keep our core of guys (The Upton's, Heyward, Freeman, Simmons, Kimbrel and Medlen) together for the long-term.

Uggla actually did what we all hoped he would do during the offseason. He shed weight and spent time training with McCann, Freeman and Medlen doing baseball activities rather than just doing heavy weightlifting. He also admitted he was too thick last season. He's 10lbs lighter this year and 20lbs lighter than he was at the start of Spring 2012.

sdogg likes this

Uggla actually did what we all hoped he would do during the offseason. He shed weight and spent time training with McCann, Freeman and Medlen doing baseball activities rather than just doing heavy weightlifting. He also admitted he was too thick last season. He's 10lbs lighter this year and 20lbs lighter than he was at the start of Spring 2012.

That's encouraging. Like the effort he is putting into it during the offseason. The game effort and power have been there.....but even if it cost him a little power, a Uggs that hit with more consistency and more range on D would be like adding another FA because we really haven't seen that from him yet. Hope all the hard work pays off for him....& the Braves. He is a good team guy. Go Uggs! Go Braves!!

I sure hope that's true. It would be a **** shame to not be able to keep our core of guys (The Upton's, Heyward, Freeman, Simmons, Kimbrel and Medlen) together for the long-term.

I'm with you. It will get exspensive. It will take some coordination and planning to keep these guys. I hope the Braves start prioritizing signing these guys and start locking them down soon If the Braves allow them to hit the FA market all at the same time (or near) it will be hard to come up with the $$$ to sign them all. Can you imagine the bidding war some of these young talented players would start. Wren & McGuirk, please do not allow this to happen....pleeeezzzeeee

I'm with you. It will get exspensive. It will take some coordination and planning to keep these guys. I hope the Braves start prioritizing signing these guys and start locking them down soon If the Braves allow them to hit the FA market all at the same time (or near) it will be hard to come up with the $$$ to sign them all. Can you imagine the bidding war some of these young talented players would start. Wren & McGuirk, please do not allow this to happen....pleeeezzzeeee

Heyward and JUP would both get contracts in the $150-200M range on the open market.

• J-Hey and J-Up: In his last 106 games beginning June 5, Jason Heyward hit .284 with 23 doubles, three triples, 21 homers, a .340 OBP and a .510 slugging percentage.

And in Justin Upton’s last 115 games beginning May 17, he hit .296 with 20 doubles, four triples, 14 homers, a .366 OBP and .458 slugging percentage, after hitting .221 with seven extra-base hits (three homers), a .317 OBP and .328 slugging in his first 35 games.

Fredi said they plan to teach Gattis some 1B this Spring. He can play LF now but with no clear backup 1B it makes sense to let him try. If he proves decent at it you have a big time slugger that can play LF, C and 1B

Fredi said they plan to teach Gattis some 1B this Spring. He can play LF now but with no clear backup 1B it makes sense to let him try. If he proves decent at it you have a big time slugger that can play LF, C and 1B

Good move. I like Ernesto Mejia but 1B is the only position he can play. Gattis would be far more valuable as a bench bat if he can play 1B to spell Freeman every now and then.

Schafer also spoke out about his troubled career. He said he realized he needed to grow up and feels like he's in a better place now than he's ever been mentally.