Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2013 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

329 posts in this topic

I said it's fun to look at. Spare me the lecture.

I wasn't lecturing you. I was just stating my thoughts on that subject. You're not the first and certainly won't be the last to mention a player's stats broken down by batting order slot. Other than just having that info available it's completely useless.

I don't think the Nats should be favorite. Besides SP I think we have them beat in every other thing. Lineup is close but I give us the slight edge if Mac gets back to his old self. Defense again give us the slight edge. Bullpen isn't even close imo. We have every bullpen beat by a country mile. Bench is probably a push. But with Reed Johnson and possibly Gattis could give us the edge. But I am bias so what do I know

I don't think the Nats should be favorite. Besides SP I think we have them beat in every other thing. Lineup is close but I give us the slight edge if Mac gets back to his old self. Defense again give us the slight edge. Bullpen isn't even close imo. We have every bullpen beat by a country mile. Bench is probably a push. But with Reed Johnson and possibly Gattis could give us the edge. But I am bias so what do I know

There's lot of reasons the Nationals are favored over the Braves in the NL East. Here goes.

Let's start with results of head-to-head matchups between the Braves and Nationals. The Nationals won the season series 10-8 last season. Not a big deal in my opinion. It's 1 Braves win away from being 9-9. The Braves and Nationals have played each other very evenly the last several seasons. 2008 the Braves had their worst season since 1990 winning just 72 games and of course the Nats beat the crap outta the Braves that year going 12-6. But since it's even.

2009 - Braves 10-8

2010 - Nationals 10-8

2011 - Tied 9-9

2012 - Nationals 10-8

TOTAL - Nationals 37-35

But really that has absolutely no baring on what will happen this season.

The Nationals finished 4 games better than the Braves last season in the standings. But again that has absolutely no baring on what will happen this season.

So breaking down the teams head-to-head.

Starting Pitching - Nationals have a slight edge but that changes if Gio Gonzalez ends up getting suspended.

Bullpen - Braves have a major edge.

Lineup - I think it's an absolute push.

Bench - I think the Nats have the edge. The Braves bench needs a lot of work IMO.

Coaching - I think the Nats have the edge. Davey Johnson is a proven manager who has won everywhere he's been and has won the World Series. I thought Fredi Gonzalez made major improvements last season in his in game decisions. He did a great job of learning from his mistakes of overusing the bullpen and actually he almost at times maybe underused our bullpen at times. But it's better to underuse the pen instead of overuse.

There's lot of reasons the Nationals are favored over the Braves in the NL East. Here goes.

Let's start with results of head-to-head matchups between the Braves and Nationals. The Nationals won the season series 10-8 last season. Not a big deal in my opinion. It's 1 Braves win away from being 9-9. The Braves and Nationals have played each other very evenly the last several seasons. 2008 the Braves had their worst season since 1990 winning just 72 games and of course the Nats beat the crap outta the Braves that year going 12-6. But since it's even.

2009 - Braves 10-8

2010 - Nationals 10-8

2011 - Tied 9-9

2012 - Nationals 10-8

TOTAL - Nationals 37-35

The Nationals finished 4 games better than the Braves last season in the standings. But again that has absolutely no baring on what will happen this season.

Starting Pitching - Nationals have a slight edge but that changes if Gio Gonzalez ends up getting suspended.

Bench - I think the Nats have the edge. The Braves bench needs a lot of work IMO.

Coaching - I think the Nats have the edge. Davey Johnson is a proven manager who has won everywhere he's been and has won the World Series. I thought Fredi Gonzalez made major improvements last season in his in game decisions. He did a great job of learning from his mistakes of overusing the bullpen and actually he almost at times maybe underused our bullpen at times. But it's better to underuse the pen instead of overuse.

I agree with all this except for the pitching parts. The Nats have much better starting pitching than the Braves without Beachy. Their number 5 guy Detwiler is comparable to our 1 in Medlen imo. Also their bullpen is a little underrated they have legit 3 closers with Soriano,Storen, and Clippard I don't think many other teams can say that. Their middle relievers also are not that bad with Stammen,Mattheus, and Garcia/Rodriguez very very solid pen.

All and all this is going to be a very exciting season and great race in the NL East.

I agree with all this except for the pitching parts. The Nats have much better starting pitching than the Braves without Beachy. Their number 5 guy Detwiler is comparable to our 1 in Medlen imo. Also their bullpen is a little underrated they have legit 3 closers with Soriano,Storen, and Clippard I don't think many other teams can say that. Their middle relievers also are not that bad with Stammen,Mattheus, and Garcia/Rodriguez very very solid pen.

All and all this is going to be a very exciting season and great race in the NL East.

I think you're slightly underselling the Braves starting pitching. Hudson is as steady and consistent as they come. Maholm is a much better pitcher than people think because he suffered all those years of pitching on terrible teams in Pittsburgh. Medlen is an absolute stud. People think last season was a major fluke with Meds but it wasn't. He's a 3.30 or lower ERA guy. Minor was completely dominate the 2nd half of last season. In his final 15 starts he had an ERA under 3. Then once we get Beachy back look out. Ross Detwiler was impressive last season and has dominated the Braves but I'm still not completely sold on him yet.

I wasn't saying the Nationals bullpen is bad. It's very good. But the Braves still have a huge edge. Braves can come at people with lefties and righties. No other bullpen that I can think has 3 dominate lefties like the Braves do and complimented by Kimbrel and Walden from the right side. 5 dominate guys. And the Braves too have 3 guys (Kimbrel, Venters and Walden) that could be closers. The Nats lost Sean Burnett who did a lot of damage against the Braves so I think they're really going to miss him. The only lefty they have in the pen is Bill Bray and he's not even a guarantee to make the team. I think they'll suffer not having a lefty if Bray doesn't make the team.

2009 - Braves 10-8

2010 - Nationals 10-8

2011 - Tied 9-9

2012 - Nationals 10-8

TOTAL - Nationals 37-35

yeah I forgot about coaching. I think Fredi has come along way since 2011. Be he still needs a lot of work imo. I really like your idea about hitting Uggs lead off or even second in the order. He would have Heyward,Justin,Freddie,BJ,Mac all hitting behind him. Would see lots of fastballs.

yeah I forgot about coaching. I think Fredi has come along way since 2011. Be he still needs a lot of work imo. I really like your idea about hitting Uggs lead off or even second in the order. He would have Heyward,Justin,Freddie,BJ,Mac all hitting behind him. Would see lots of fastballs.

And with his high OBP thanks to his high walk rate he would be perfect to leadoff. I just think back to how Alfonso Soriano batted leadoff and how effective he was at it even though he was a homerun hitter.

And with his high OBP thanks to his high walk rate he would be perfect to leadoff. I just think back to how Alfonso Soriano batted leadoff and how effective he was at it even though he was a homerun hitter.

more I think about it the more sense it makes. Hopefully a reporter ask Fredi about this. Hopefully he tries it in spring training. Wouldn't hurt

more I think about it the more sense it makes. Hopefully a reporter ask Fredi about this. Hopefully he tries it in spring training. Wouldn't hurt

I would love to see him try it. But I highly doubt it will happen. I haven't seen a single reporter or anyone mention it.

Close the book on Bourn....signed with the Indians. 4 years for 48 with 5 year possible if makes milestones.

http://msn.foxsports...-stunner-021113

Indians? Woah! That kinda came outta no where. I heard Mets, Rangers and Mariners and my personal prediction of the Cubs. But not the Indians. Indians have spent a lot of money this winter on Bourn and Swisher.

I'm so happy the Braves didn't give him that kind of deal.

Indians? Woah! That kinda came outta no where. I heard Mets, Rangers and Mariners and my personal prediction of the Cubs. But not the Indians. Indians have spent a lot of money this winter on Bourn and Swisher.

I'm so happy the Braves didn't give him that kind of deal.

And the fact that Terry Francona is their manager, he can handle the higher priced FA personalities. I like Francona especially as a AL manager. I'm sure the indian fans are excited about their team this year and good for them. I'm tired of the same teams winning every year. That being said, i agree, i glad we did not submit to the high salary demands of Bourn. Good luck to him and the indians but I like the way our team shaped up this year.

Gilmartin to compete with Teheran for the 5th spot in the rotation according to CBS sports

Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez told MLB.com on Monday that Juilo Teheran and Sean Gilmartin will compete for the final spot in the rotation this spring. Teheran, who appeared to be the favorite for the job, has a career 5.19 ERA in seven appearances (four starts) in the majors. "Especially with young kids, I'm not big on anointing them by saying 'You're the guy and here it is,'" Gonzalez said Monday. "With a young kid, I think you still need to show them there is a carrot out there and you've still got to compete. The other guys read newspapers, too. Gilmartin, give him a good chance to compete."

Gilmartin, a first-round pick in 2011, went 6-10 with a 3.84 ERA in 27 starts between Double-A and Triple-A last season. The 22-year-old still might be a little raw but he could conceivably begin 2013 in the rotation for the Braves if Teheran struggles during the spring.

Teheran was considered as one of the top prospects in baseball a year ago but after going 7-9 with a 5.08 ERA in 26 starts at Triple-A Gwinnett, his stock fell a bit. The 22-year-old pitched well over the winter, however, and has a very good chance at winning a starting job out of camp. "He looked different in winter ball," Gonzalez said. "He looked like a guy who has pitched. Sometimes failure is a good teacher."

I ilke seeing BJ Upton, Justin Upton and C Johnson arriving early to Braves facility camp for practice. I also appreciate that Uggs and Heyward are there all ready as well.

Gilmartin to compete with Teheran for the 5th spot in the rotation according to CBS sports

Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez told MLB.com on Monday that Juilo Teheran and Sean Gilmartin will compete for the final spot in the rotation this spring. Teheran, who appeared to be the favorite for the job, has a career 5.19 ERA in seven appearances (four starts) in the majors. "Especially with young kids, I'm not big on anointing them by saying 'You're the guy and here it is,'" Gonzalez said Monday. "With a young kid, I think you still need to show them there is a carrot out there and you've still got to compete. The other guys read newspapers, too. Gilmartin, give him a good chance to compete."

Gilmartin, a first-round pick in 2011, went 6-10 with a 3.84 ERA in 27 starts between Double-A and Triple-A last season. The 22-year-old still might be a little raw but he could conceivably begin 2013 in the rotation for the Braves if Teheran struggles during the spring.

Teheran was considered as one of the top prospects in baseball a year ago but after going 7-9 with a 5.08 ERA in 26 starts at Triple-A Gwinnett, his stock fell a bit. The 22-year-old pitched well over the winter, however, and has a very good chance at winning a starting job out of camp. "He looked different in winter ball," Gonzalez said. "He looked like a guy who has pitched. Sometimes failure is a good teacher."

Aint that the truth. Lots of good pitchers struggle early on go on to have great careers.

**** Roy Halladay pitched so poorly the first few years he was sent back to the minors.

Heyward physically looks like a monster compared to the Upton bros Wow

You are not kidding. Heyward looks like a beast right now ready to destroy some baseballs! Looking forward to his best season yet this year!

By David O'Brien

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. Canopies dubbed the Heyward tents were installed in 2011 at Champion Stadium to protect expensive cars from flying projectiles in the Braves executive parking lot beyond right field, after Jason Heyward broke windows and side mirrors with a barrage of tape-measure homers at spring training a year earlier.

B.J. Upton wasn't around here back then; he played for Tampa Bay at the time. But it only took one batting-practice session Tuesday for the new Braves center fielder to be convinced of Heyward's prodigious power. Heyward scorched a home-run ball that had its flight path neither slowed nor shifted by a stiff breeze blowing across the field.

"I haven't seen anything like that", Upton said. "I played here (at Champion Stadium) in Double-A and the wind blows straight in. For him to cut the wind like that with the wind blowing to left, that is tough to do. That got me pretty excited for the season."

At 6 feet 5 and 235 chiseled pounds, the thin-waisted Heyward has one of the most impressive physiques in baseball, even more "shredded" than he was a year ago. The Gold Glove-winning right fielder reported early to spring training -- a full week before position players are due Thursday -- and was joined this week by his new outfield mates, the brothers Upton. B.J. is 6-3 and 185 pounds, and younger brother Justin is a muscular 6-2, 210.

As they stood talking beside the batting cage Tuesday, Heyward, 23, all but dwarfed the Uptons. When Heyward told B.J. to call him off anytime he wanted to on a ball to the right-center gap, Upton assured him there would be no confusion, that he’d make sure to take all measures to avoid colliding with the McDonough native.

"We're going to have a really, really athletic outfield, theres no question about it," Braves pitcher Tim Hudson said. " They're going to be able to go get em. It's going to be fun to watch. Hopefully for me, they won't be too busy, being a sinkerballer. But it's nice to know that you have those guys out there."

A day after Justin Upton arrived in camp, B.J. showed up Tuesday and they had their first workout on the same team in a decade, since they played together on a travel team when Justin was a high school freshman and B.J. was a senior.

"It';s pretty cool, man," B.J. Upton said. "We've got about eight months of it (coming up), so it's something I'll get used to."

The additions of the Uptons, who are likely to bat third (Justin) and fifth (B.J.), gives the Braves a lineup that strikes out a lot but can hurt opponents in multiple ways.

"We can change games fast with power and speed," Justin Upton said. "We'll see. It'll be fun to sit back and watch it."

Hitting coach Greg Walker said of the revamped lineup: "It's very exciting. The work's still got to be one and all that -- the games played on the field not on paper -- but right now, going into spring training it's very exciting.

Aint that the truth. Lots of good pitchers struggle early on go on to have great careers.

**** Roy Halladay pitched so poorly the first few years he was sent back to the minors.

Halladay also had his delivery completely changed by the Blue Jays too to make him a better pitcher. The Braves tried to do that to Teheran and he was terrible because of it. They let him go back to doing what was natural to him and boom the results were back to being lights out.

Only a 2nd round pick.

Does anyone understand the MLB compensation? I'm reading Atl's comp pick will be the 31st or 32nd pick.... a pick sandwhiched between rd 1 & rd 2.

So it looks like we lost our original 28th pick but gained Upton. We lost bourn so we gained the 31st or 32nd pick. i can live with that.

Does anyone understand the MLB compensation? I'm reading Atl's comp pick will be the 31st or 32nd pick.... a pick sandwhiched between rd 1 & rd 2.

So it looks like we lost our original 28th pick but gained Upton. We lost bourn so we gained the 31st or 32nd pick. i can live with that.

Yeah we don't get the Indians pick since their top 10 pick is protected so all we get is a sandwich pick.