If We Downgrade At Te

falconsd56

Which I know we will if/when Tony leaves.... I mean how do you just replace a hall of famer?

I know you can not

But let’s say the TE gets pretty ignored which a lot of people are doing with their mock off seasons ( maybe not drafting one till 6th or 7th for example). And going after college full backs and turning them into NFL tailbacks...... To me does not make sense.

I know everyone is on the pass rush pass rush pass rush bandwagon but the reality is if Tony DOES leave and with Turners probable release we would have no legit TE and no legit #1 back.

Those are BIG BIG parts of our offense... 19 TDs and near 2000 yards in fact between the two...Think about that 19 tds and close to 2000 yards............. gone.

Yeah we have Julio who is poised to jump into the next level of Wr's And isa legit #1 type guy

Yeah we have White who is already there in the top 2 or 3 in the conference ( but he is also 31 years old)

Douglas , Quizz and Snelling are all nice complimentary pieces but not much else who would feel confident if one of our guys got hurt and we had someone like Coffman, Douglas and Quizz as starters??

Of course we have one of the top 2 or 3 qbs in the conference who can overcome a lot and has done well with less(2009 when an injured Ryan lead us to the first ever b2b winning seasons with a depleted offense of just White and Tony) but the reality is we need to address at least one of those positions early with a running back or tight end.

I know some people here would be all up in arms and thinking TD is trying to be "cute" but the reality is with the possibilty of losing close to 2000 yards of offense and 19 tds requires us to address the offense much earlier than some people would like.

And if we DO go offense early in the draft/FA it will be simply one thing........ Smart.

Going offense early is stupid, don't kid yourself. With the exception of guard, we're fine. Ryan shouldn't NEED a HOF tight end to put up big numbers when he has so many other weapons at his disposal, yet you're pretty much saying we need a replacement ASAP...how about we get a pass rush ASAP? That'd be swell. We haven't had one in years. And every team that's won the SB in the past decade or so has had some pass rush to speak of.

Oh, and Pryor isn't a FB we'd be converting into a HB. He was a HB initially that they asked to play FB. We'd be playing him at his natural position.

not really. with tony gone roddys, jjs and hds catches and yards and tds go up. backs are a dime a dozen and you can get starters in midrounds. so we will not be losing that much production because ryan will be forced to stop looking for short throws to tony.

GOOD backs are not a dime a donzen.

That is a misconception that I see alot.

Of the top 15 backs this year 12 were 3rd round picks or higher.

7 of those were first round picks.

There were 8 guys who scored 10+ Tds on the ground... 6 of them were 3rd round or higher ( Turner and Moris being the only exceptions)

Can you find servicable backs late? Yeah of course but the odds of finding a guy like Foster or Morris late or undrafted are alot slimmer than getting a guy in the top 3 rounds.

The notion GOOD backs are a dime a dozen is wrong.

GOOD backs are not a dime a donzen.

That is a misconception that I see alot.

Of the top 15 backs this year 12 were 3rd round picks or higher.

7 of those were first round picks.

There were 8 guys who scored 10+ Tds on the ground... 6 of them were 3rd round or higher ( Turner and Moris being the only exceptions)

Can you find servicable backs late? Yeah of course but the odds of finding a guy like Foster or Morris late or undrafted are alot slimmer than getting a guy in the top 3 rounds.

The notion GOOD backs are a dime a dozen is wrong.

i said starters, not HOFs. and with quizz we are more than likely going to see time spilt in the backfield any ways. gillislee should be there 3-4th stepfon taylor should be there, bell and a bunch of others.

its a weak draft as far as top end talent in rb, but there are several guys that should be good backs if put in the right systems.

Going offense early is stupid, don't kid yourself. With the exception of guard, we're fine. Ryan shouldn't NEED a HOF tight end to put up big numbers when he has so many other weapons at his disposal, yet you're pretty much saying we need a replacement ASAP...how about we get a pass rush ASAP? That'd be swell. We haven't had one in years. And every team that's won the SB in the past decade or so has had some pass rush to speak of.

Oh, and Pryor isn't a FB we'd be converting into a HB. He was a HB initially that they asked to play FB. We'd be playing him at his natural position.

Neither the Ravens nor the Niners have that great of a pass rush.... The niners barely touched Ryan in the game.

And the Ravens did not get much pressure at all in any of the playoff games.

Nor did the saints in 2009, Nor did the Packers in 2010, The giants had a good but not great pass rush last year

The last really "great" pass rush team to win the superbowl were the Steelers of 2008.

i said starters, not HOFs. and with quizz we are more than likely going to see time spilt in the backfield any ways. gillislee should be there 3-4th stepfon taylor should be there, bell and a bunch of others.

its a weak draft as far as top end talent in rb, but there are several guys that should be good backs if put in the right systems.

I did not say HOF, I just pointed out of the top backs in the league right now nearly all of them are picked in the top 3 rounds.

Most are actually first round picks.

Neither the Ravens nor the Niners have that great of a pass rush.... The niners barely touched Ryan in the game.

Nor did the saints in 2009, Nor did the Packers in 2010, The giants had a good but not great pass rush last year

The last really "great" pass rush team to win the superbowl were the Steelers of 2008.

C'mon man. The Giants won the Super Bowl twice since 2007. I don't think anybody would deny that they were a "great" pass rushing team.

I did not say HOF, I just pointed out of the top backs in the league right now nearly all of them are picked in the top 3 rounds.

Most are actually first round picks.

yeah i know, just saying about the "good". first round backs can be great but this year there is a severe lack of top end talent at both rb and qb. there is a chance(kind of small) that we could very well not see a qb or rb come off the boards until the 2nd round.

C'mon man. The Giants won the Super Bowl twice since 2007. I don't think anybody would deny that they were a "great" pass rushing team.

Last year they were good but not great.

There were games where their pass rush disapeared last year.

the 07 Giants were great but the Steelers won it the year after that.. hense the last great pass rush team

The packers were like the giants last year.... good pressure but not great.

TE's don't win championships

No but well rounded balanced offenses do.

Right now if we do either sign a lead back ( like we did with Turner) or draft one high

OR sign or draft a TE that can stretch the middle of the field or force teams to respect the middle of the field we are going to struggle.

Preferably we add both.

Guest Negatorris

the 07 Giants were great but the Steelers won it the year after that.. hense the last great pass rush team

The Giants last year had a crapload of injuries on the DL. They got healthy when the playoffs started and Falcons fans know **** well what that pass rush did when it was healthy. It doesn't matter how many weapons we give Ryan, if the opposing QB can sit in the pocket for 2 hours, make a sandwich, and take a nap before finding a receiver to throw to, we won't get to the Superbowl. Replacing Tony is not a giant priority.

The Giants last year had a crapload of injuries on the DL. They got healthy when the playoffs started and Falcons fans know **** well what that pass rush did when it was healthy. It doesn't matter how many weapons we give Ryan, if the opposing QB can sit in the pocket for 2 hours, make a sandwich, and take a nap before finding a receiver to throw to, we won't get to the Superbowl. Replacing Tony is not a giant priority.

Well said.

Both of the mentioned teams finished top 3 in the NFL in sacks with at least 47.

Torris you nailed it. But I think alot of us know that the Falcons front 7 must get stronger. TD can't do patch work on this defense anymore and he must bring in impact players on defense. The Falcons offense can blow the top off any defense. They proved that in the playoffs but without a pass rush we have a very slim change at making back to the NFCCG.

Guest King Jigsaw

Honestly, I think we can find guys like Travis Kelce and Mike Gillislee in this draft without taking away from drafting defensive help at the top of the draft. If we take anyone on offense early on, I'd want it to be Warford. Drafting Warford and moving Konz to center would make our line so good that I could run for over 1000 yards next year behind them.

Enough already I'm sick of seeing Casper the ghost trying to get sacks opposite Abe.

For this defense to go to the next level it needs to tighten up in the middle and put the QB on the ground thats why pretty much why we lost against the Niners.

smh

When Gonzalez leave, watch Ryan's TDs go down, and his INTs go up. I can account for at least 10 different times where Gonzo leaped across the field to save Ryan from throwing a sure interception. He would have an easier time catching passes from Tim Tebow.. Smh

You always dickk ride our team faggget? Go jerk your dad off.

People that are anti-TE, RB, WR seem to be saying Ryan doesn't need another Gonzalez. That's true, but your next up can't be a Michael Palmer. Instead of looking for stars on offense, they need a solid RB, a solid TE, a solid 3rd/4th WR. These are 2m/yr FAs or 3rd round picks. We need a number of options, not stars. We already have the stars.

That leaves the high picks and big money for the D and OG. But just because we don't need stars at TE/RB, doesn't mean we can just get by with what we have.

I've wanted a blow your doors off DT for awhile, and think that (and RG and DE and LB) should be the focus, but skill players on offense need to be constantly replenished so your offense doesn't fall off a cliff. Good question to ask is: Can the player beat man coverage? If no, he needs upgrading. If yes (whether at RB, 3rd WR, TE) then you're ok.