Matt Ryan Will "clearly" Target Drew Brees Money In 2013

I hate to pay anyone that much money, but he deserves to be paid top 5 QB money. Just hope the cap all works out were we can continue to add to the D.

Just think about it without MR we wouldn't be a .500 team.

I like Matt Ryan, but he is driving a Ferrari. This would still be an outstanding football team with Alex Smith playing QB.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind players aiming for big contracts as their shelf life in FB is limited. That said, I think Ryan hasn't showed anything to be in the same league as Brees. He has won a SB. Flacco on the other hand has been to SB (if he does not win - if he wins he is in the same league as Brees). So I don't think Ryan should be paid same as Brees or Flacco. IMO, Ryan should be payed less than Brees and Flaco. But that won't happen.

Lol Flacco is not on MRs level. Not to far behind, but Flacco might not even crack top 10. Flacco has been carried by Rice and his D. He has definitely played better in the playoffs, but the team still goes as far as Rice and the D takes them.

Bree's has a SB, but he also had a D that showed up that year to help win it a long with some crazy onside kick call and others.

MR torched the #1 D and almost took us to the SB. If our D even showed up after the 1st Qtr we would be in the SB and no doubt we win due to our success against pocket QBs this year.

Guest Negatorris

He won't.

Edit: And NOBODY deserves Drew Brees money. Brees got paid and led the NFL in INTs the following season. Ryan deserves elite money, but not ridiculous money.

Learned what?

You don't want to have that big of a cap hit all at once. You want to spread it out so the bigger part of the hit comes when the cap increases.

Otherwise you have to backload other contracts which will just catch up with you eventually,

Also you want to get his contract done BEFORE they do Roger's because he's going to make Bree's contract look cheap.

You don't want to have that big of a cap hit all at once. You want to spread it out so the bigger part of the hit comes when the cap increases.

Otherwise you have to backload other contracts which will just catch up with you eventually,

Also you want to get his contract done BEFORE they do Roger's because he's going to make Bree's contract look cheap.

The cap is not increasing. That is the part that people are missing. The cap is going to be flat for a good while.

So I suspect that these contract negotiations with Ryan next year could get pretty ugly. And I think the chances of a deal being done this off season are virtually non existant.

That's why the Falcons will probably just let him play out his contract this year, then franchise him next year, then they have two more years to decide if he is worth that kind of money.

Would be the smart thing to do from a business standpoint. Falcons should have went to Ryan last season and offered extension. Had a feeling it was going to come to this Allow him to play at 10 million for season. We always have the franchise tag as well. I don't see Ryan holding out he would kill his good guy image

Honestly, if 20 mil is his number and he is stuck to that, I think the Falcons should move on. Paying a QB 1/6th of your cap is not going to be the way to win in this league moving forward.

And I hear the noise about Flacco wanting 20 mil. I guarantee you he doesn't get anywhere near that from the Baltimore Ravens. Guarantee it.

The cap is not increasing. That is the part that people are missing. The cap is going to be flat for a good while.

So I suspect that these contract negotiations with Ryan next year could get pretty ugly. And I think the chances of a deal being done this off season are virtually non existant.

I didn't say the cap was increasing next season. Sorry if I implied that's what I thought.

We know that Ryan's going to want a BIG contract and there's no way around that.

I was just saying we'd want to keep the cap hits evenly spread for the first few years of the contract and then increase when the cap increases in 3-5 years.

People love to talk out of both sides of their mouths on this board.

On the one hand, the typical board member will tell you that our WR and TE talent are by far the best in the league.

Then the next day, they will be trying to sell you that Matt Ryan is the only guy that can run this offense.

It's kinda funny.

What I don't understand about any of these *Star* Players, common knowledge is the less salary you take the more money the team has to work with, so why doesn't one of these dude say forget 20mil a year I'll take 15 and just go pick up a nike/delta/coke/ anyone willing to pay endorsement for 5. spend a few hours making a commercial get the 20 they want and keep the team competitive

Something I don't get either. Must be the ego thing. Didn't like when Roddy was "Disgruntled" about his contract extention, and won't like if the same scenario with Matt plays out.

Honor the contract that you willingly endorsed and "let the chips fall where they may".

Edited by vabchbirdlover

It's flat due to the rookie salary cap and the NFL waiting for the new television deals to take affect, which is going to coincide with the requirement to spend 90-95% of the cap kicking in.

4309230175_6b3417d720.jpg

Peyton lost his mind with that statement. I would rather Ryan at 20 mil than Smith at 5 mil. Ryan would be extremely overpaid but he's a very good QB and an elite game manager. Smith is a solid QB and a very good game manager but that's like Jason Campbell's level. You would have trouble getting to the playoffs with that and you can't be a pass first team either.

Edited by Hollywood #1 pick

On the one hand, the typical board member will tell you that our WR and TE talent are by far the best in the league.

Then the next day, they will be trying to sell you that Matt Ryan is the only guy that can run this offense.

It's kinda funny.

Truly is

It's flat due to the rookie salary cap and the NFL waiting for the new television deals to take affect, which is going to coincide with the requirement to spend 90-95% of the cap kicking in.

The salary cap is going to be flat for 3 more seasons, then, in 2016, the league anticipates the cap going all the way up to........130 million dollars.

So....in review....in 2016 the NFL estimates the cap will finally bypass the 2009 cap....by 2 million dollars.

Honestly, if 20 mil is his number and he is stuck to that, I think the Falcons should move on. Paying a QB 1/6th of your cap is not going to be the way to win in this league moving forward.

And I hear the noise about Flacco wanting 20 mil. I guarantee you he doesn't get anywhere near that from the Baltimore Ravens. Guarantee it.

To be honest I don't think Ryan has that kind of leverage anyway.

Brees won a Superbowl, broke the single season record for passing yardage, was/is the face of New Orleans... etc.

Ryan has won a lot of games but he hasn't carried this franchise by himself.

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

It's kinda funny.

Yet you can also point to how the team had a below average defense at best and no running game yet they still went 13-3 and came up just a few yards short of going to the Super Bowl anyway. He has very talented players to throw to but they'd go to waste with a ****** QB like Alex Smith, who you seem to think isn't a massive bust.

Yeah I don't want him to make that much, but he will be paid top 5 QB money. Flacco won't get that much either and shouldn't. Flaccos success in the playoffs reminds me more of Sanchez's success then other top QBs. Flacco is better than Sanchez and done more for the team, but it's all about the D and run game.

I appreciate your input here, Peyton - but Jay Glazer knows more than you and he actually is on the "inside" - on top of that, it is not Arthur Blank's style to push this like a "game of chicken" to the end before a deal gets signed.

You can make "Pros/Cons" arguments for re-signing Matt now versus later, but I believe this will happen and so do the media talking heads that seem to have good sources like Glazer and Clayton,

Lol Flacco is not on MRs level. Not to far behind, but Flacco might not even crack top 10. Flacco has been carried by Rice and his D. He has definitely played better in the playoffs, but the team still goes as far as Rice and the D takes them.

Bree's has a SB, but he also had a D that showed up that year to help win it a long with some crazy onside kick call and others.

MR torched the #1 D and almost took us to the SB. If our D even showed up after the 1st Qtr we would be in the SB and no doubt we win due to our success against pocket QBs this year.

Zero points in the 2nd half. Zilch.nada. I hate the Saints but I'm 99% sure that Brees would have led the team to at least one td in the second half. Bam we win. The defense failed but so did a Matt Ryan lead offense.