Matt Ryan Will "clearly" Target Drew Brees Money In 2013

xSICKxWITHxITx

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Matt Ryan will "clearly" target Drew Brees money in 2013 extension talks.

Ryan is owed $10 million entering a contract year, and the Falcons will want to lock him up before the 2013 season. Brees received $20 million per year from the Saints last July. Ryan's agent will be watching the Joe Flacco-Ravens talks closely. Flacco wants Brees money as well, and Ryan has out-performed him.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ravens | Joe Flacco looking for big money

Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:02:25 -0800

Baltimore Ravens impending free-agent QB Joe Flacco is believed to be looking for $20 million per season in his next contract. He likely will be looking for deal similar to the five-year, $100 million contract New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees signed which included $40 million in guaranteed money.

0 Comments | Source: ESPN - John Clayton | Share: facebook.png

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=1#ixzz2JNh4dbct

If Flacco gets it, no way Ryan doesn't though I do think Ryan is smart enough to take a bit less knowing the team will need money to KEEP talent around him

If Flacco gets it, no way Ryan doesn't though I do think Ryan is smart enough to take a bit less knowing the team will need money to KEEP talent around him

i think every player knows the less they are paid, the better it is for the team. But Tom Condon is the agent so it's not going to happen. Ryan would have to fire Condon first.

Ryan is no where near Brees in terms of talent and imagine if he gets paid as much as Brees.

Edited by Mr. Right

Flacco wll be more of a benchmark than a QB who got his deal after being established as a top 5 QB and bringing the city a Lombardi. Ryan (nor Flacco) have that kind of pull, although Flacco is closer than Ryan right now

And Flacco has been brilliant this post season, so to say Ryan has out performed him as a whole is subjetive.

I dont think Ryan is going to have t figt for it. IMO the team will offer him big money without asking.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Matt Ryan will "clearly" target Drew Brees money in 2013 extension talks.

Ryan is owed $10 million entering a contract year, and the Falcons will want to lock him up before the 2013 season. Brees received $20 million per year from the Saints last July. Ryan's agent will be watching the Joe Flacco-Ravens talks closely. Flacco wants Brees money as well, and Ryan has out-performed him.

Do you have a link for this?

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

It's too bad these QBs would rather have a couple more millions per year than to still make millions and have a competitive advantage by taking less.

What I don't understand about any of these *Star* Players, common knowledge is the less salary you take the more money the team has to work with, so why doesn't one of these dude say forget 20mil a year I'll take 15 and just go pick up a nike/delta/coke/ anyone willing to pay endorsement for 5. spend a few hours making a commercial get the 20 they want and keep the team competitive

I for one have no problem with players trying to get as much as they can.

I just hope they can find a way to not make it a cap killing contract.

At least it makes more sense for the QB to be the highest paid player on the team instead of a WR or CB.

I agree as long as the QB deserves it and is the best player which he does and is. He's a top 5 guy and will get paid like it. I'm sure he will work it out were the cap doesn't kill us.

I don't mind players aiming for big contracts as their shelf life in FB is limited. That said, I think Ryan hasn't showed anything to be in the same league as Brees. He has won a SB. Flacco on the other hand has been to SB (if he does not win - if he wins he is in the same league as Brees). So I don't think Ryan should be paid same as Brees or Flacco. IMO, Ryan should be payed less than Brees and Flaco. But that won't happen.

That's why the Falcons will probably just let him play out his contract this year, then franchise him next year, then they have two more years to decide if he is worth that kind of money.

I see them letting him play out his contract this year but I don't know about tagging him. You would think they would have learned from the Brees situation.

That's why the Falcons will probably just let him play out his contract this year, then franchise him next year, then they have two more years to decide if he is worth that kind of money.

the problem with that is these kind of tactics often lead to disgruntled players. And you don't want to risk losing your franchise QB.

Saints played that game with Brees and it got shaky, and there arent many teams with a QB as committed to their city than Brees. Just because he stuck through it doesnt mean that other QBs would

I don't mind players aiming for big contracts as their shelf life in FB is limited. That said, I think Ryan hasn't showed anything to be in the same league as Brees. He has won a SB. Flacco on the other hand has been to SB (if he does not win - if he wins he is in the same league as Brees). So I don't think Ryan should be paid same as Brees or Flacco. IMO, Ryan should be payed less than Brees and Flaco. But that won't happen.

Well this is the ONE situation where the lack of Ryan's postseason success will work in the Falcon's favor.

No. I see no reason for the Falcons to redo his deal this off season. Makes no sense at all, especially if he is asking for 20 mil a year.

I hate to pay anyone that much money, but he deserves to be paid top 5 QB money. Just hope the cap all works out were we can continue to add to the D.

Just think about it without MR we wouldn't be a .500 team.

the problem with that is these kind of tactics often lead to disgruntled players. And you don't want to risk losing your franchise QB.

Saints played that game with Brees and it got shaky, and there arent many teams with a QB as committed to their city than Brees. Just because he stuck through it doesnt mean that other QBs would

Brees would have played under the tag if the Saints had stuck to their guns. The thing is....the Saints couldn't afford to stick to their guns, they needed to create cap space with his renewal.

Of course, they've screwed themselves for this year and beyond when they did so.