Taking Self Protection Too Far

prolikewhoa

Cool it with the paranoia, grandpa. Put your gun away.

Man, 69, accused of killing man who went to wrong house

http://www.ajc.com/n...wrong-ho/nT8xp/

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Gwinnett County man is accused of shooting and killing a man who friends said pulled into the wrong driveway.

Phillip Walker Sailors, 69, of Lilburn, was booked into the Gwinnett County jail Sunday afternoon and charged with murder for the death of Rodrigo Abad Diaz, according to jail records and his arrest warrant.

Diaz, 22, was shot in the head Saturday night as he tried to drive away from Sailors’ home on Hillcrest Road in Lilburn, the warrant states.

Lilburn police declined to release further information about the case, citing the ongoing investigation in an email Tuesday to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“At this point we have established probable cause to charge Mr. Sailors and when the investigation is complete, we will turn over the case file to the Gwinnett County District Attorneys Officer for processing,” Lilburn police Chief Bruce Hedley said. “To preserve the integrity of the case, I will not be releasing further information concerning this incident.”

Friends of Diaz, of Duluth, told Channel 2 Action News that he and others were trying to find a friend’s house, but their GPS instead led them to the home on Hillcrest Road, off Indian Trail Road.

After seeing the car in his driveway, Sailors came out of his home, went back inside, then came out again with a gun and shot in the air, Yeson Jimenez, 15, told Channel 2. Jimenez said he and his brother were in the car with Diaz, along with a female passenger.

Diaz tried to drive away, but Sailors shot again, striking Diaz in the head, according to police.

An attorney for Sailors told Channel 2 the man shot because he feared his life was in danger.

“He is very distraught over the loss of life from the defense of his home,” attorney Michael Puglise said. “This incident happened late in the evening hours when he was home with his wife and he assumed it was a home invasion and he maintains his innocence.”

Sailors remained in jail Tuesday without bond. He is a Vietnam War veteran, according to his attorney, and has no known criminal history.

Criminal shoots stranger. Gun is to blame...

166570_586702598011017_671507222_n.jpg

I doubt the old guy could have killed him by throwing a rock or a knife or a bat at his car.

Guns make it TO EASY for people to kill other people, this story is a perfect example of that. Their would not be a story if the old guy came out with a knife, sword, bat cause the guy in the driveway would have had the opportunity to drive away without getting killed.

It takes alot more effort and alot less distance to kill someone with a knife, bat, the cartoon is pretty stupid given the context of this incidence.

Edited by MAD597

Criminal shoots stranger. Gun is to blame...

166570_586702598011017_671507222_n.jpg

So how many people every year are killed by baseball bats,stabbings, and stranglings?

Better yet how would any of those things be able to kill multiple people in a dark theater??

But btw there are laws as far as a type of knife that can be owned legally.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/when-will-these-senseless-gun-debates-come-to-an-e,31052/

When Will These Senseless Gun Debates Come To An End?

CommentaryOpinion ISSUE 49•05 • Jan 28, 2013

By Wayne LaPierre, NRA CEO

90.jpg?5558

We live in a great country. Between our democratic values, constitutional freedoms, and rich traditions, Americans enjoy immense privileges and benefits that allow us to enjoy the highest standard of living in the world. But, my friends, there is one area where I would like to say “Enough is enough.” For all our pride and progressivism, America still has a well-documented history of gun debates spanning back centuries—shocking and horrific debates that, despite our best efforts, show no signs of abating.

So, as a concerned American living in the 21st century, I must ask: What will it take for these senseless gun debates to end?

The answer is not a simple one. Sadly, the United States is a culture in which gun debates are deeply embedded and ingrained, with American children witnessing thousands and thousands of discussions on gun control and regulation by the time they are grown. For countless numbers of youths, these discourses on proper policing of handguns and rifles have become simply a fact of life. Why, it seems like everytime I turn on the television I see that some crazed reformer in Washington has unleashed yet another horrific gun debate, presenting their legislative arguments to dozens of colleagues.

It’s truly tragic.

Nearly every incident is the same: some progressive madman, having convinced himself that gun debates are the solution to some problem or another—God only knows what—devises a plan to present a meticulously researched plan on gun reform to a group of innocent citizens or pro-gun advocates, often at a large party, town hall, or congressional hearing. When the time comes, he lays out his arguments as comprehensively and coherently as possible and to as many audience members as he can. God, just talking about it now makes my blood run cold.

What we need to do now is come together as a nation and agree on a plan to prevent these civil discussions from ever happening again. Personally, I believe the mental health of the legislators involved needs to be assessed. I also believe we need to make it harder for Congress to have access to gun debate platforms in the first place. After all, if we keep allowing the average member of Congress off the street to freely legislate in our nation’s capitol then these harrowing, senseless debates on gun control will continue to happen and we will be powerless to stop them.

How many more gun control debates do we need to stand by and idly witness in horror before we put a stop to them altogether?

I, for one, am confident that by working together, one step at a time, we can eliminate gun debates in America entirely. Yes, you heard me right. Now it may take some time before we are able to ban discussions altogether; after all, the right to discuss reform is in our constitution, whether we like it not. But by taking small actions every day, like pushing hard in Congress and cracking down on reformers now, I’m confident we can create a nation where every man, woman, and child can live without fear of gun reform.

Please help me in this fight. The lives of our existing gun laws are too precious not to.

So how many people every year are killed by baseball bats,stabbings, and stranglings?

Better yet how would any of those things be able to kill multiple people in a dark theater??

But btw there are laws as far as a type of knife that can be owned legally.

No one is killed by a baseball bat. Baseball bats are inanimate objects.

would you rather get stabbed or shot to death?

Stabbings are the most common form of murder in Britain, where firearms — except certain shotguns and sporting rifles — are outlawed. Most police officers in Britain do not carry firearms.

Of the 839 homicides in England and Wales in the 12 months ending Nov. 28 — the most recent period for which Home Office figures are available — 29% involved sharp instruments including knives, blades and swords. Firearms account for just 9% of murders in Britain. The murder rate in Britain is 15 per million people.

The U.S. murder rate is 55 per million, according to the FBI. Of those, 70% of murders were committed with firearms; just 14% involved knives or cutting instruments.

http://www.mail-archive.com/firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu/msg00867.html

would you rather get stabbed or shot to death?

http://www.mail-arch...u/msg00867.html

If I'm in a car in a driveway I'd certainly want the person coming out of their house to have a bat or a knife rather than a gun. And I'd obviously have more of a chance at survival fighting someone with a knife than a gun.

You post a stupid cartoon that in no way shape or form has anything to do with the circumstances of the incident that happened here.

The issue with Guns is they require very little effort to kill and you can do it from a great distance, Knives, Bats require you to be close to a person and usually over power them or have some type of physical interaction which requires physical strength and the mental capacity to do it and some risk involved. A gun requires you to pull a trigger and aim and you can mentally distance yourself from it and your involved risk is much lower.

Plus their are already restrictions in place for the type and length of knife you can own\carry.

Edited by MAD597

The issue with Guns is they require very little effort to kill and you can do it from a great distance, Knives, Bats require you to be close to a person and usually over power them or have some type of physical interaction which requires physical strength and the mental capacity to do it and some risk involved. A gun requires you to pull a trigger and aim and you can mentally distance yourself from it and your involved risk is much lower.

The same could be said about a vehicle. All you need is to press the gas pedal.

I view the gun control debate the same way I view the abortion debate. It is equally unrealistic to stop all abortions just as it is to remove all guns from society. Keeping them legal creates a legitimate market that ensures some level of safety. Removing their legality does not remove the practice of gun use or abortions, and instead creates a black market that is unsafe, allowing another avenue for criminal enterprise. What we should really be doing is education/safety, changing the "gun culture/abortion culture" and lastly with guns, making sure that those with mental issues are helped.

The same could be said about a vehicle. All you need is to press the gas pedal.

Yes, and I think gun ownership should go through some type of license\training background check similar to driving a car. People always bring up the **** car argument in gun debates and I tell them fine, gun ownership needs the same scrutiny of training and licenses as getting a driver license.

And if you want to drive a Motorcycle or a Big Rig their is an extra layer of license training involved. So owning more powerfull guns should require extra training\licenses scrutiny.

Why isn't gun ownership done the same way? Why does the NRA and some gun owners flip out over the idea of required Training\Licenses\Background checks but then try and bring up the stupid car analogy in every gun debate?

I'm not even going to try and bring up the fact a cars main purpose is to transport people and guns ONLY purpose is to KILL things.

You'd think we as a society would do a little more due diligence in handing out items that only has a purpose of killing things compared to something that is mainly used to transport people and goods.

Edited by MAD597

Yes, and I think gun ownership should go through some type of license\training background check similar to driving a car. People always bring up the **** car argument in gun debates and I tell them fine, gun ownership needs the same scrutiny of training and licenses as getting a driver license.

And if you want to drive a Motorcycle or a Big Rig their is an extra layer of license training involved. So owning more powerfull guns should require extra training\licenses scrutiny.

Why isn't gun ownership done the same way? Why does the NRA and some gun owners flip out over the idea of required Training\Licenses\Background checks but then try and bring up the stupid car analogy in every gun debate?

I'm not even going to try and bring up the fact a cars main purpose is to transport people and guns ONLY purpose is to KILL things.

You'd think we as a society would do a little more due diligence in handing out items that only has a purpose of killing things compared to something that is mainly used to transport people and goods.

A car's purpose, like a gun's purpose, is dictated by the person operating it. A car can be (and cars are) used to kill people.

Regarding licensing, etc., the only time you need to register and license a car is when you want to operate it on the public roadways. So applying the same standard to guns would look a lot like it does now -- if you want to have them in your home and use them only on your property, the government need not be involved, but if you want to use them in public, it requires a permit.

I do agree that training should be more accessible and probably mandated for CCW permits.

Point being, the status quo for guns NOT used in public is actually more stringent than the status quo for cars not used in public.

Civilian ownership of guns will probably be on the chopping block in the next few years. Public discourse seems to be heading exactly in that direction.

Not really.