The Greatest Decade Of Music, What Do You Think?

Trappone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I was born in '78 this chit gotta go to the 70's. Any decade that can be so diverse... be it Prog Rock to singer songwriters to Punk to Glam Rock to Disco to honkey tonk to hard core R&B Soul/Funk to avant garde experimentation...HAS to be #1.

I'm a child of the 80's and have a special place for that decade, but when it comes down to it the 70's can't be messed with.

Case in point:

Pink Floyd

The Clash

The Who

Willie Nelson

Jimi Hendrix

The Rolling Stones

David Bowie

Neil Young

Merle Haggard

Marvin Gaye

The Beatles

Elton John

Fleetwood Mac

Carol King

Funkadelic

The Grateful Dead

Bruce Springsteen

The Velvet Underground

Kraftwerk

The Doors

Conway Twitty

Alice Cooper

Aerosmith

Giorgio Moroder

Tammy Wynette

Joni Mitchell

Herbie Hancock

Michael Jackson

Bob Dylan

Waylon Jennings

Iggy Pop and The Stooges

James Taylor

George Jones

Black Sabbath

Blondie

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen

James Brown

Grand Funk Railroad

The Ramones

John Lennon

Loretta Lynne

The Allman Brothers Band

Paul Simon

Genesis

The Sex Pistols

The Cars

Kiss

Jimmy Buffet

Sly and the Family Stone

The Eagles

Brian Eno

Can

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Jim Croche

Neu!

King Crimson

Al Green

The Bee Gees

Miles Davis

The Modern Lovers

T. Rex

Wings

Todd Rundgren

Talking Heads

Wire

Elvis Costello

Rush

The Specials

Stevie Wonder

George Harrison

In before labradford posts 700 songs in this thread.

LMAO!!!!

Even though I was born in '78 this chit gotta go to the 70's. Any decade that can be so diverse... be it Prog Rock to singer songwriters to Punk to Glam Rock to Disco to honkey tonk to hard core R&B Soul/Funk to avant garde experimentation HAS to be #1.

I'm a child of the 80's and have a special place for that decade, but when it comes down to it the 70's can't be messed with.

Case in point:

Pink Floyd

The Clash

The Who

Willie Nelson

Jimi Hendrix

The Rolling Stones

David Bowie

Neil Young

Merle Haggard

Marvin Gaye

The Beatles

Elton John

Fleetwood Mac

Carol King

Funkadelic

The Grateful Dead

Bruce Springsteen

The Velvet Underground

Kraftwerk

The Doors

Conway Twitty

Alice Cooper

Aerosmith

Giorgio Moroder

Tammy Wynette

Joni Mitchell

Herbie Hancock

Michael Jackson

Bob Dylan

Waylon Jennings

Iggy Pop and The Stooges

James Taylor

George Jones

Black Sabbath

Blondie

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen

James Brown

Grand Funk Railroad

The Ramones

John Lennon

Loretta Lynne

The Allman Brothers Band

Paul Simon

Genesis

The Sex Pistols

The Cars

Kiss

Jimmy Buffet

Sly and the Family Stone

The Eagles

Brian Eno

Can

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Jim Croche

Neu!

King Crimson

Al Green

The Bee Gees

Miles Davis

The Modern Lovers

T. Rex

Wings

Todd Rundgren

Talking Heads

Wire

Elvis Costello

Rush

The Specials

Stevie Wonder

George Harrison

This. 1970s and it isn't even a close call.

For me, the 1970s boils down to this -- not only was some of the greatest rock and roll music made then, but the greatest rock and roll bands made their greatest music then. The Who, The Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. The 1970s win even if you only consider Exile on Main Street, Who's Next and Dark Side of the Moon, IMHO. Then you have Aerosmith and Black Sabbath and Kiss, and all of these really groundbreaking bands that followed in their footsteps.

Zeppelin may be an exception to that, since I think Led Zeppelin II was their high point, but they also made some really good music in the 1970s.

Add to that the great R&B of that decade -- Marvin Gaye, Van Morrison, Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, etc. Similar to the above, I think the 1970s could win just because Moondance, Talking Book, Songs in the Key of Life and What's Going On were released in that decade. Then consider the country rock bands like the Eagles, Flying Burrito Brothers, etc. (who were admittedly influenced by the Gram Parsons era Byrds in the 1960s), and the Southern Rock bands like the Allman Brothers and Skynyrd, and you just have a decade of great music across the board. Disco couldn't even tarnish that decade. It was that good. Even the Bee Gees were musically talented to a level most people can't really fathom -- everyone knows and loves a song written by Barry Gibb that they don't know was written by Barry Gibb.

As proof of all of this, look at the greatest bands of the 1980s and 1990s. They all were influenced by and tried to emulate 1970s music. That's true whether we're talking about metal bands like Judas Priest, Dio and Iron Maiden, or rock bands like Guns n' Roses, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. All of them looked back to that decade to draw their inspiration. To me, it was the pinnacle of music.

Everyone's going to say the decade that they were in their teens or 20s. This is the most impressionable time for music for everyone.

So I say the 90s. 2000s sucked. 2000 teens are getting better,

Not true, that would be the mid-to-late 1980s and early 1990s for me.

Edit: I knew I was bound to forget some from the list and shame on me for forgetting Van Morrison. SMH.

Bad Co.

ZZ Top

Santana

Earth Wind & Fire

Steely Dan

Yes

Deep Purple

Queen

Jethro Tull

The Guess Who

ELO

Rod Stewart

War

Boston

Patti Smith

Curtis Mayfeild

Steve Miller Band

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

The Isley Bros.

Aretha Franklin

Eric Clapton

Bob Marley & The Wailers

ELP

Chicago

Bob Seger

Foreigner

Thin Lizzy

Ted Nugent

Doobie Bros

From a pure historical standpoint it would have to be the 50s. That was the decade everything was pretty much on equal footing in terms of production values and appeal.

Blues

Jazz

R&B

Rock

Country

Later decades may improved on these basic genres, but 50s was the time they were at the creative formation in terms of rate of creation(well...outside of jazz to a certain extent)

I can't say a decade. I'm going to choose a period. From 1966 to about 1984, there was an amazing amount of diverse music. The late 80's and through the mid 90's was kind of hit or miss. I think the late 90's through early 00's was pretty good. Music is very vibrant now once you get past the mainstream schlock.