Smith Likely To Request Release

Flying Falcon

Alex Smith has said and done all the right things since unceremoniously being replaced by Colin Kaepernick in the San Francisco 49ers' starting lineup. He has been the model teammate and a supportive backup. Now, it may be in his best interest to do something he probably imagined as unthinkable back in October.

A ProFootball talk report Monday indicated Smith is expected to seek his release before the start of free agency. Due to earn $8.5 million in 2013, with $1 million guaranteed now and the balance guaranteed as of April 1, the decision would allow Smith to be a factor in the beginning of the free-agent signing period.

A starting quarterback of a first-place team in Week 10. Asking for his walking papers three months later?

The unthinkable actually makes quite a lot of sense.

This year’s free-agent quarterback class isn’t exactly loaded with potential Pro Football Hall of Famers. Unlike last year, Peyton Manning isn't being courted. Joe Flacco isn’t leaving Baltimore (especially not after this year) and there are questions about Michael Vick’s long-term future as a franchise quarterback.

Smith still has a future as a franchise guy. Many within the league believe Smith, put in the right situation, can still be a very successful starting quarterback. He took the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game a season ago and he was having a very strong 2012 season. If his confidence isn’t completely shaken, he can be a very interesting — and motivated — veteran quarterback to build a team around.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-francisco-49ers-alex-smith-likely-to-request-release-before-free-agency-012813

It would be funny if he becomes a Cardinal. Him and Fitz haunting the Niners would be very interesting to watch.

They might try to get him,but with how horrible that Card's o-line is, i imagine he may have to look past them to the next offer lol.

Plus, i think Kolb would be serviceable/good if he had protection.

I think the Jags will go for him. With a legit Qb, they could have been decent this year.. maybe even pretty good.

I dont get it, why was this posted? It has nothing to do with us.

Notice how he didn't specify that it was Alex Smith.

He was likely trying to be cute.

Sort of like a few years ago when message boards all over the internet erupted with the headline "Cleveland suspends Lebron 50 games for steroids" only to find out that it was the Cleveland Indians who suspended their minor league catcher Steven Lebron.

Edited by Parabola

They might try to get him,but with how horrible that Card's o-line is, i imagine he may have to look past them to the next offer lol.

Plus, i think Kolb would be serviceable/good if he had protection.

I think the Jags will go for him. With a legit Qb, they could have been decent this year.. maybe even pretty good.

NOPE they had MM