New Dome A Real Necessity?

Big_Dog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get the reason why the superdome gets to host superbowls and not the ga dome... Could it be because of the ray lewis fiasco back in '99?

It's because New Orleans is New Orleans and Atlanta is Atlanta.

The area around the GA Dome is a barren wasteland. The area around the Superdome is Bourbon Street. If it was up to the people who cover the Super Bowl, they'd play the thing in New Orleans every year, and it's hard to blame, it's one of the most alive cities in the country with an actual real culture, unlike the majority of these major US cities.

Would like to see what most fans feel about a new Dome.

There is no reason for a new stadium. The GA Dome is just fine. Domes should last for 50 years with good upkeep and the occasional upgrade, but in NFL owner circles getting a new stadium is like you or I getting a new car after the neighbor does, just so we can stroke our ego.

Bring it on! As slow as our state government moves on things, the Dome WILL be ~30 years before we see dirt moving on a new one. I'd rather us start sorting this out NOW than later or we'll end up like OaklandSanDiegoMinneapolis with old, crumbling, decrepit stadiums.

The New stadium is being pushed for only one reason. The team makes very little money from the Dome. The World Congress center will not sell it to Blank. So, they are pushing for a new stadium. My only concern is that the return on a new stadium is usually overly inflated. Right now, any public money going towards this just seems wrong. I am not 100% sure on the financing, but I just have very mixed feelings about building a 1 Billion dollar facility in this economy. Especially with a perfectly good Georgia Dome. Part of me thinks that if the Falcons are drawing a line in the sand, then maybe they should move. I don't think it's prudent for Atlanta and Georgia at large to be investing resources in building a building with a dubious return for the city and state. I have seen studies from other cities that found the returns on the new stadium were grossly over estimated.

In the end, Arthur Blank has to do what he has to do.

Yes to the new Dome/stadium. You people act like they are gonna pay for it yourself. Stop bitc#ing bout things you have no control over. It was idiots outside the Dome every game with "we don't need a new stadium" signs, but never been to 1 Falcons game. I glady await the new stadium and will be there for the first game, if I live long enough I'll be there for the last game as well.