Chick-Fil-A - After The Fallout

JDaveG

This is a fantastic article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shane-l-windmeyer/dan-cathy-chick-fil-a_b_2564379.html

"Through all this, Dan and I shared respectful, enduring communication and built trust. His demeanor has always been one of kindness and openness. Even when I continued to directly question his public actions and the funding decisions, Dan embraced the opportunity to have dialogue and hear my perspective. He and I were committed to a better understanding of one another. Our mutual hope was to find common ground if possible, and to build respect no matter what. We learned about each other as people with opposing views, not as opposing people.

During our meetings I came to see that the Chick-fil-A brand was being used by both sides of the political debate around gay marriage. The repercussion of this was a deep division and polarization that was fueling feelings of hate on all sides. As a result, we agreed to keep the ongoing nature of our meetings private for the time being. The fire needed no more fuel.

Throughout the conversations Dan expressed a sincere interest in my life, wanting to get to know me on a personal level. He wanted to know about where I grew up, my faith, my family, even my husband, Tommy. In return, I learned about his wife and kids and gained an appreciation for his devout belief in Jesus Christ and his commitment to being "a follower of Christ" more than a "Christian." Dan expressed regret and genuine sadness when he heard of people being treated unkindly in the name of Chick-fil-a -- but he offered no apologies for his genuine beliefs about marriage.

And in that we had great commonality: We were each entirely ourselves. We both wanted to be respected and for others to understand our views. Neither of us could -- or would -- change. It was not possible. We were different but in dialogue. That was progress."

Remember how Dan Cathy was a "bigot?" Turns out, not so much.

Regretfully it has become fashionable to hate anyone who had the balls to take a chance and start a business, and god forbid that business be successful. Good for the Cathy family

I was more interested in the fact that people who disagree can (gasp) sit down and talk to each other, and even in their disagreement be respectful and not call each other names and appreciate the positions each other take on sometimes controversial issues.

In other words, TRUE tolerance can be practiced, instead of the fake "I'm tolerant of everything but intolerance" bull. With the latter, in the end, you're just intolerant. Period.

Regretfully it has become fashionable to hate anyone who had the balls to take a chance and start a business, and god forbid that business be successful. Good for the Cathy family

ZOMG, and this whole time I thought it was because of their stance on the LGBT community. I have definitely learned something......

I was more interested in the fact that people who disagree can (gasp) sit down and talk to each other, and even in their disagreement be respectful and not call each other names and appreciate the positions each other take on sometimes controversial issues.

Nobody ever accused Dan Cathy of being a modern day politician.

I still think the greater issue with Chick-fil-A is that, while delicious, it is really not healthy food for the most part.

My wife still gets the grilled chicken sandwiches, but personally, I'd rather find better options or consider Chick-fil-A a "cheat day." I wouldn't want to eat off their menu every day.