Is Massaquoi "da Future"?

Padawan Knight

All the draft talk in TATF got me thinking about this so I did a little research.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say that Massaquoi will be the second coming of John Abraham or Patrick Kearny. I'm just wondering if our drafting him was the first step towards what we'll see in the 2013 season from Mike Nolan.

We all know that Massaquoi played DE for us this year. He even played DE in college. What I didn't know was that he was projected as a DE/OLB in a hybrid defense.

http://www.cbssports...athan-massaquoi

A two-year starter, Jonathan Massaquoi was one of the top recruits from the state of Georgia and committed to Troy out of high school, but struggled to qualify and enrolled at Butler Country Community College. He led the team with 96 tackles and 20.0 sacks as a freshman and transferred to Troy after the 2008 season. After redshirting in 2009, he became a starter in 2010 as a sophomore (13 starts), recording a conference-best 20.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks with 76 tackles, 1 pass break-up and 1 forced fumble, earning First Team All-SBC honors. Massaquoi started all 12 games in 2011 as a junior, finishing with 52 tackles and a team-high 10.5 tackles for loss and 6.0 sacks with 2 pass break-ups and 1 forced fumble, earning First Team All-SBC honors. He decided to forego his final season of eligibility and enter the 2012 NFL Draft. Massaquoi, who is the cousin of two current NFL players -- Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi and Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe -- was a productive and relentless pass rusher the past two seasons at Troy, wearing the same jersey number as former Troy pass rusher DeMarcus Ware (#94). Massaquoi played out of position as an end in Troy's three-man front and probably projects best as a stand-up hybrid OLB in a 3-4 defensive scheme. Massaquoi has an excellent combination of explosiveness and sudden movement ability, flashing the potential to be a big-time pass rusher in the Trent Cole-mold, but he is unpolished at this point in his development and is probably more of an athlete than football player. He is very rough around the edges, but his pass rush upside and ability to create pressure are extremely intriguing.

I wonder if Mike Nolan influenced that pick as a head start towards switching our defense to a hybrid 4-3/3-4 starting next season.

After reading this I am really starting to think we look at picking up a big sized NT in either FA or the draft.

As a 3-4 olb it could be possible that he could turn into a major player but as a 4-3 de, I highly doubt it. He was considered a top olb among scouts.

That's part of my point. Many people were down on him because he rarely saw the field this year and wasn't a pro bowl level player when he was out there. I'm jut wondering if he was picked up for his future contributions in a hybrid scheme versus his production this year in our personnel dictated scheme.

That's part of my point. Many people were down on him because he rarely saw the field this year and wasn't a pro bowl level player when he was out there. I'm jut wondering if he was picked up for his future contributions in a hybrid scheme versus his production this year in our personnel dictated scheme.

has to be. I remember the first time I saw him without pads was on d block and the first thing that came to my head was there is no way he's a defensive end because he is very small compared to the other guys. I hope he does get to split snaps with kroy next year when we run the hybrid so we can see what we got. May be our own little demarcus ware. Okay I'm pushing it with that one lol

We have so many hybrid DEs. Sid, Kroy and Mass. When do we utilize them as just that. I think Sid is gone shortly.

This , Sid is gone for sure though.

So tired of all these players that aren't utilized. Its a travesty with our coaching staff in my opinion. We have them , so freaking use them!

I think they're so afraid they won't work out of an irrational view of being maybe a late rounder or what ever they just don't even try.

We need to either stop drafting these types or freaking use them , and at the very least give them a dang chance.

This , Sid is gone for sure though.

So tired of all these players that aren't utilized. Its a travesty with our coaching staff in my opinion. We have them , so freaking use them!

I think they're so afraid they won't work out of an irrational view of being maybe a late rounder or what ever they just don't even try.

We need to either stop drafting these types or freaking use them , and at the very least give them a dang chance.

Exactly my thoughts as well but it makes you wonder also if these guys are not practicing hard or coaches are just not using them but the only way you know if you have that diamond in the rough is to give them that opportunity to produce!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

His results were overall better than Biermann FWIW. I think Mass is in the mold of Steelers 3-4 OLBs. He and Biermann make a decent duo at OLB. Add more players and 3-4 could work.

dag nammit you took what I was wanting to add.

But yeah biermann and mass in a 3-4 is going to be good. Yes we still need a big boy DT. and a lot of mocks (few falcon have this guy, and I haven't seen any team have a mock on him), but Geathers could really help out.

Jenkins is better then Geathers. But Geathers will be able to help us out a good bit.

Honestly I say go after a 3-4 lb in first. Then Geathers in second. Get a cb late and resign Grimes four two years at ten total. And lets see what happens when you have a better line and not as good CBs