I just want to put in writing to my fellow board friends what I've been feeling about the end to this season. I will first start with how and why I am an Atlanta Falcon fan.

I was born at Piedmont Hospital in 78 and was too young to remember the cowboy game in 1980. I've seen the replay and it's hard to stomach. For those that were there or remember that one, this year sure feels similar I would imagine.

By the time I could walk I was going to hawks games at the omni every night and I was able to watch them practice weekly at the old Atlanta Health and Raquet Club on Wendy Hill Road. They use to be really cool about kids hanging around the team. Being so close to the Hawks, I clung to every game every night, was in attendance for all home games.

Of course I was and still am a huge Braves fan. The 90's were a huge turn-around for that franchise, but the 2000's seemed to really take the air out of them.

As for the falcons, being so close to the hawks at the club led me to beau bock. This guy took me to suwanee every training camp. He loved kids that loved atlanta sports. Growing through the 90's, I always expected us to lose, but I still loved the team. Of course 98 was a surprise, but other than that we rarely held our own.

I still remember where I was sitting the day I heard that Arthur Blank bought this franchise. I knew moving forward this team would be different and much better.

In 2008, after losing to ARI, I felt a strong feeling of optimism about this team. Even going 9-7 with an injury plagued season in 2009 I felt optimism. in 2010, leaving the dome, I felt dumbfounded that a team could come into our house and dominate us. I thought maybe we were missing something to get us over the hump. Still, moving on I thought we could get over the hump. Watching the 24-2 game I've never felt anger like I've felt about my home town teams. I quickly turned the TV off half-way through the 4th quarter, threw a can of nuts at my wall and drove away pissed as ****. Obviously a grown a$$ man doing this is pretty pathetic, but oh well.

Seeing the last second tick of the clock at the ga dome after watching this team get out to a lead, really kicked me in the nuts. I sat in my seat and watched niner fans celebrate, i watched mike smith and matt ryan address the media. And, for some reason, I decided I needed to clap for this team. I know I am a pu$$y, but I stayed until the dome closed in my mezzanine seat and clapped and cried because I was devestated we came so close to a super bowl and let it slip away. I'm still grieving, but I have the same optimism I felt in 08. I really believe that TD and Smith will assemble a team to bring us a ring or two. We just have to believe and support this franchise.

Sorry for the long post, I just really need to express my grief. This has been the hardest loss to stomach in my life. I have perspective, of course...I have a healthy family, a job and a loving wife. But in the sports world, I am still devastated.

Keep the faith Atlanta Falcon fans - we will be back and RISE UP!!!

This loss was hard to take, but I've experienced worse. I've been a fan since the early 70's, so the Cowboys game still tops this years game as the worse playoff loss. The Cowboys game was worse for me, because we clearly had the best team in the NFL that year. This was a time before Sports Center and the sports media in general was very weak. You had to wait for every weekend to get a glimpse of your team. You had to read the paper to know what was going on behind the scenes. You had to work to follow this team. Up until that point the Falcons were not seen as a threat to compete in the post season. As a kid, I'd been waiting for that moment for years. The moment cam and went, then the Franchise went to crap for the next ten years. The Smith's were horrible owners who were content to have a mediocre team, and did not care if the team stunk. They never tried to get a marquee coach, and they were not about to spend big money to improve the team. Draft picks were wasted, has beens were signed and bad coaches were hired. They finally started to take a turn when Reeves was hired, but he was at the end of his coaching road. The Super Bowl was a tough loss and negative press was all around it.

This loss was bad, but at least we have an owner who will once again look to improve the team. Anybody that tells you we won't go after this player or that coach is talking out of their ***, because AB will do what is necessary and will try to make the best decisions for the team, and that I feel great about.

This loss was hard to take, but I've experienced worse. I've been a fan since the early 70's, so the Cowboys game still tops this years game as the worse playoff loss. The Cowboys game was worse for me, because we clearly had the best team in the NFL that year. This was a time before Sports Center and the sports media in general was very weak. You had to wait for every weekend to get a glimpse of your team. You had to read the paper to know what was going on behind the scenes. You had to work to follow this team. Up until that point the Falcons were not seen as a threat to compete in the post season. As a kid, I'd been waiting for that moment for years. The moment cam and went, then the Franchise went to crap for the next ten years. The Smith's were horrible owners who were content to have a mediocre team, and did not care if the team stunk. They never tried to get a marquee coach, and they were not about to spend big money to improve the team. Draft picks were wasted, has beens were signed and bad coaches were hired. They finally started to take a turn when Reeves was hired, but he was at the end of his coaching road. The Super Bowl was a tough loss and negative press was all around it.

This loss was bad, but at least we have an owner who will once again look to improve the team. Anybody that tells you we won't go after this player or that coach is talking out of their ***, because AB will do what is necessary and will try to make the best decisions for the team, and that I feel great about.

I moved to Augusta, GA in 1980. The 1980 season was my first season as a Falcons fan. From that point forward, the Falcons were only good for the Jerry Rice highlight videos. AB, TD, and MS have done a great job since they have been hear. Are team is much better. Even without Gonzo and Turner, our offense will be very good. We need to make some changes on Defense and develop a running game and we will be right back in the mix next year.

I had a similar feeling about the team - obviously I was frustrated and upset that we lost, but I felt a sense of pride that our offense, who everyone said would struggle to move the ball against the 49ers, cut them to ribbons. I felt a sense of pride that we were 4 yards away from a superbowl.

I can understand people being upset and angry, but in all reality this was a top 3 year in the franchises history and I loved every minute of it.

I'm there with you

Been a Braves fan since 83, Falcons fan since 86 and a Hawks fan since 87. I've seen alot of losing but our 3 pro teams have had a really good stretch the last 5 years of being very competitive teams. We are no longer loserville.

This loss was not as bad as previous Playoff loses.

We were highly competitive, even dominant at times, this loss came after CLEAR progression this year, we actually won a playoff game against a physical team, we are now pass first with no running game and still could dominate teams.

Basically, we did not get blown out we represented ourselves well in the playoffs.

It sucked more just the idea that the season was over, IE no game to look forward to then the actual playoff loss.

I'm not saying losing did not suck and did not hurt but I was ALOT more at peace with this loss then previous years, and I'd be much more pissed off and frantic now if we lost the Seattle game instead.

An regardless of what our roaming trolls say we are still a young team with a young core, the keys to the offensive Future is Ryan and Julio as long as these two are around it is going to be fairly easy to build around them.

On defense Spoon is a beast and our secondary actually played well.

What we need moving forward CAN be fixed this year, we needed some bigger players on the D-line and O-line a RB and a TE and we probably make another deep playoff run for the next few years.

Edited by MAD597

I still remember where I was watching the 1980 Cowboys game. I was in Sears at Cumberland Mall and was taken back by the fact they might actually win only to be crushed. I admit I was so caught up in the stands watching this last playoff game only to be crushed once again but I guess after 4 decades of watching the team I know how to shake it off pretty quickly. As for right now I would rather have a perrenial winner than a distant Superbowl memory. This Falcons team will get their championship soon though.

The most encouraging part about this loss is Arthur blank is more devastated as a fan of this team than as an owner. He takes this as serious as us fanatics do and for that we should feel very grateful.

He will do anything and everything to bring a championship to this city.

Edited by Dominique is Manufique