Atlanta Falcons: A Look At The Cap Situation In 2013 And Beyond

Scott Carasik

Atlanta Falcons: A Look at the Cap Situation in 2013 and Beyond

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1499007-atlanta-falcons-a-look-at-the-cap-situation-in-2013-and-beyond

The Atlanta Falcons have an excellent cap situation for both 2013 and beyond. Especially when you consider the amount of flexibility and the talented man running the books—Thomas Dimitroff.

Dimitroff has been an excellent cap manager for the Falcons, and he is tasked with taking control of the Falcons cap situation to bring Atlanta talent to get back to the NFC Championship game with and combine with the building blocks already on the books.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry i will copy and paste it so nobody has to click the link biggrin.png

Glad to read some in depth talk on Duntas contract. I have been wanting Dunta cut or at least restructured his contract, but i heard that he can't restructure it because he did it last year. Not sure what the details are about that, but from your article that seems like one of the most obvious things to do. Grimes is far superior to Dunta.

You never responded to my tweet about Vince Williams lighting it up in the SB the other day :(

Edited by Clark Kent

Don't worry i will copy and paste it so nobody has to click the link biggrin.png

Glad to read some in depth talk on Duntas contract. I have been wanting Dunta cut or at least restructured his contract, but i heard that he can't restructure it because he did it last year. Not sure what the details are about that, but from your article that seems like one of the most obvious things to do. Grimes is far superior to Dunta.

You never responded to my tweet about Vince Williams lighting it up in the SB the other day sad.png

bahaha. it happens man. I try to respond to everyone. Vince Williams is a solid player. falcons don't need a mike, but he'd be a good fit if they switch to a 3-4 as a Ted.

I think your prospective numbers for Ryan are a pipe dream, I think his contract will be 16.5 to 17 million per season at a minimum.

Also, I can't see Babs signing an extension that is basically a pay cut. Dude would do fine on the FA market. He'd do a good bit better than 3 mil per year I would imagine.

Yes, the Falcons can cut Dunta and Turner to create cap space, and that will put them at about 20 mil in cap space, but I don't think I'd call that "plenty" of money when they are trying to resign or replace their starting LT, a HOF TE, their starting RB, a Pro Bowl SS, and a starting corner.

It's not a lot of money. Yes, there are teams in MUCH worse shape than the Falcons, but the Falcons aren't in that great a shape to be big players in Free Agency, unless you consider resigning their own players to be so.

Yep. Somehow the rumor that we are "cap strapped" has been floating around alot lately. TD is a wizard when it comes to the cap. I have never had any worries.

I love dimitroff, I think he has done wonders for this team. We have a guy that knows how to build a dynasty, not a two year window to win. I am happy to have him, now if we just had the coaching to get us there, which our coaching is slowly learning the grind and getting better YOY, we are going to be in great shape for many a years to come.

BRIGHT FUTURE

What world do you live in ? Can we come back down to earth and a place called reality Matt Ryan rookie contract got 34 million in guarantee . What makes you think he is going to sign a 100 million dollar contract and only get 10 guaranteed . This is problem with some fans who pretend to be capologist and throw around numbers and stretch truth to fit into a pretty poor bleecher article

This is also false information

If the Falcons re-sign Matt Ryan to an extension, they could save around $6 million in cap this season
by the numbers posted in article which is not reality as I explained above Ryan is not getting 100 million contract with 10 million in bonus and incentives but even by those numbers it will only save 4 million cause Ryan cap hit for this season is 10 million

10 -6= 4

Poor article and a real stretch by all means

The person who wrote it should also research who Ryan agent is as well . That agent will not allow Ryan to have 10 million in bonus / incentives

Edited by leowolf

Yep. Somehow the rumor that we are "cap strapped" has been floating around alot lately. TD is a wizard when it comes to the cap. I have never had any worries.

He's quoting a bleacher report article. Might as well get a physic to ask what the Cap situation is.

Anyone quoting or posting a bleacher report article should get an immediate 30 day ban. ****, I have the bleacher report blocked out so it doesn't show up in Google searches. Unless blocked properly you could search For fried green tomatoes and somehow that **** site will show up in your Google search. The bleacher report is like a virus. A virus called, "attack of the unknown authors". If you're the author of said article, and you post it, 180 ban ban.

The author of the article should enlist the help of a physic to put together a better picture of our cap. A realistic one would help a lot. Btw, go do some research on Tom condon.

Scott- appreciate the work as always.

Couple of things- think you really should have mentioned McKay- Pretty sure he does a lot of the heavy lifting on the contracts.

You have a 100 million contract and a total of 110 million cap hit.

Think Ryan's contract will look much more like Dunta's- really cap friendly first few years and then easily cut [ in Ryan's case re-structured].

And, Falcons may decide that 10 million for a pro bowl QB is a bargain and wait until next year to re-sign him. Falcons and Ryan have a great relationship, shouldn't be a problem, if snags develop, they can put the franchise tag on him. That delays the huge salaries at the end of the contract by a year.

Now, if they wait a year, Ryan may win the Super Bowl and his price goes up. I am glad I don't have to decide what to do.

What world do you live in ? Can we come back down to earth and a place called reality Matt Ryan rookie contract got 34 million in guarantee . What makes you think he is going to sign a 100 million dollar contract and only get 10 guaranteed . This is problem with some fans who pretend to be capologist and throw around numbers and stretch truth to fit into a pretty poor bleecher article

This is also false information

by the numbers posted in article which is not reality as I explained above Ryan is not getting 100 million contract with 10 million in bonus and incentives but even by those numbers it will only save 4 million cause Ryan cap hit for this season is 10 million

10 -6= 4

Poor article and a real stretch by all means

The person who wrote it should also research who Ryan agent is as well . That agent will not allow Ryan to have 10 million in bonus / incentives

Ryan also had salaries guaranteed. I could see the first 3 years of this deal being fully guaranteed and then the other 20 million added in as well.

Ryan also had salaries guaranteed. I could see the first 3 years of this deal being fully guaranteed and then the other 20 million added in as well.

The writer of the poor bleecher article should go do some research and compare contracts like the one Michael Vick got and see that his numbers for Ryan extension are far from reality

Vick got

2017 UFA

$32.5 million is fully guaranteed

2011 Roster Bonus: $3 million

2014 Roster Bonus: $3 million

2015 Roster Bonus: $2 million

2013: $3 million is guaranteed for injury only

$3 million if the Eagles win the Super Bowl in 2011 or 2012, and if Vick participates in 77.5 percent of the plays during the regular season

2016 Voids if he participates in 35 % of the snaps in any year

Vick is also getting 10 mil + in salary . Ryan is also a much better player than Vick

2011 cap hit 14,400,000

2012 cap hit 13,900,000

2013 cap hit 16,900,000

2014 cap hit 19,400,00

2015 cap hit 17,900,000

2016 cap hit 20,000,000

Edited by leowolf

..... as I explained above Ryan is not getting 100 million contract with 10 million in bonus and incentives but even by those numbers it will only save 4 million cause Ryan cap hit for this season is 10 million 10 -6= 4 Poor article and a real stretch by all means The person who wrote it should also research who Ryan agent is as well . That agent will not allow Ryan to have 10 million in bonus / incentives

Salary can be guaranteed as well. Good bet that he'll get 50 million or so guaranteed. Doesn't all have to be bonus. And they can make the salary cap hit anything they want to in the first couple of years.

He's quoting a bleacher report article. Might as well get a physic to ask what the Cap situation is. Anyone quoting or posting a bleacher report should get an immediate 30 day ban. ****, I have the bleacher report blocked out so it doesn't show up in Google searches. ... Btw, go do some research on Tom condon.

He's the guy that wrote the article- and Bleacher report has changed in the last couple of years. It's a much better site now than a couple of years ago.

And Tom Condon just wrote a contract for Brees that got him a lot of money up front but also allows to the Saints to get out of the contract cheap after 3-4 years.

The writer of the poor bleecher article should go do some research and compare contracts like the one Michael Vick got and see that his numbers for Ryan extension are far from reality

Vick got

2017 UFA

$32.5 million is fully guaranteed

2011 Roster Bonus: $3 million

2014 Roster Bonus: $3 million

2015 Roster Bonus: $2 million

2013: $3 million is guaranteed for injury only

$3 million if the Eagles win the Super Bowl in 2011 or 2012, and if Vick participates in 77.5 percent of the plays during the regular season

2016 Voids if he participates in 35 % of the snaps in any year

Vick is also getting 10 mil + in salary . Ryan is also a much better player than Vick

2011 cap hit 14,400,000

2012 cap hit 13,900,000

2013 cap hit 16,900,000

2014 cap hit 19,400,00

2015 cap hit 17,900,000

2016 cap hit 20,000,000

Eagles structured it that way because they had plenty of cap space in 11 and 12, if cap space had been a problem, numbers would have looked much different.

Salary can be guaranteed as well. Good bet that he'll get 50 million or so guaranteed. Doesn't all have to be bonus. And they can make the salary cap hit anything they want to in the first couple of years.

Yes, but their is an enormous price to be paid for stacking the cap hits on the back end, and I don't think that is the route the Falcons want to go. Very unhealthy for the team long term.

He's the guy that wrote the article- and Bleacher report has changed in the last couple of years. It's a much better site now than a couple of years ago.

And Tom Condon just wrote a contract for Brees that got him a lot of money up front but also allows to the Saints to get out of the contract cheap after 3-4 years.

I fully understand how the cap and contract works and salary can be guaranteed . That does not explain how the writer failed simple math 10-6 is 4 . Ryan salary for this coming season is 10 million the writer has a cap hit of 6 million which will be 4 million . Ryan salary can be guaranteed but he is not going to get what the writer of the article planned out . Ryan contract for next 2 years get a total of only 10 million in salary ? for a player entering his prime coming off his best statiscial season . Not reasonable

Year Salary Signing Bonus Option Bonus Total Cap Hit

2013 $4,000,000 $2,000,000

$6,000,000

2014 $6,500,000 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $10,500,000

2015 $11,500,000 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $15,500,000

2016 $13,500,000 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $17,500,000

2017 $15,500,000 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $19,500,000

2018 $17,500,000

$2,000,000 $19,500,000

2019 $21,500,000

$21,500,000

Total $90,000,000 $10,000,000 $10,000,000 $110,000,000

Falcons will look at Flacco contract and be in that ball park . If Flacco wins a Super Bowl it could hurt Falcons if they feel Flacco and Ryan are in same class . Ravens have also waited to last moment . There are soo many options for the Falcons this off season . Falcons don't extend Ryan contract does he feel neglected ? It's not in Ryan character traits but NFL is a buisness . If Ryan gets hurt and his agent did a poor job securing his future . I am positive Ryan will get a extension this off season and it will be in same ball park as Flacco and Vick . It's also going to be more than the team friendly cap hit of 10 million . We also have Julio contract coming up soon as well and he could be looking at a Fitz or Megatron deal

Edited by leowolf

Yes, but their is an enormous price to be paid for stacking the cap hits on the back end, and I don't think that is the route the Falcons want to go. Very unhealthy for the team long term.

Really think what they're going to do is make the contract for Ryan cap friendly for first 3-4 years, then, either the cap goes way up and his contract isn't a problem, or they restructure him after year 4.

This might be one of the worst articles I have ever read on our cap. It is totally wrong in several areas and makes no sense on so many points it's almost incoherent.

Have to agree . Article feels forced and trying unrealistic ways to open up cap . Falcons don't really need to make room this season . There is not many impact free agents on the market . Falcons have holes that can be filled up through draft . Falcons will have cap to retain own players like Baker, Moore and Tony G if he doesn't hang up cleats . Falcons will be basement bargains again and try and hit on one this time around .

Really think what they're going to do is make the contract for Ryan cap friendly for first 3-4 years, then, either the cap goes way up and his contract isn't a problem, or they restructure him after year 4.

Since everybody agrees that the Falcons are in at least decent cap position, it really isn't in their best interest to make the contract back loaded.

In two years, we have to resign Julio Jones, and we have to decide if we are going to give Roddy White one more contract. Also Sean Weatherspoon will be coming up in a couple of years. So the Falcons are going to need the cap space several years from now as much or more as they need it now.

I'll just throw one thing out there to put this proposed Matt Ryan contract in this article in perspective.

Drew Brees made 40 million this year, including a 37 million dollar signing bonus. If he is on the Saints three days after the Super Bowl, another 15 million in guarantees kicks in. He is basically guaranteed 55 million for the first two years.

This article suggest a contract for Matt Ryan that pays him 30 million over the first two years of his contract.

Again.......Dree Brees got a 37 million dollar signing bonus.

Oh yeah.....one more thing......these guys have the same agent.

Since everybody agrees that the Falcons are in at least decent cap position, it really isn't in their best interest to make the contract back loaded.

In two years, we have to resign Julio Jones, and we have to decide if we are going to give Roddy White one more contract. Also Sean Weatherspoon will be coming up in a couple of years. So the Falcons are going to need the cap space several years from now as much or more as they need it now.

It's always frustrating talking about salary cap details, because we as fans just don't know. Remember a couple of years back, everybody thought Baker's cap hit was X and it turned out to be Y because of a bonus nobody knew about.

Whole cap is like that. Think McKay and TD do a great job with the cap, going to be interesting to see what they do with Ryan's contract.

My guess is they'll backload it and restructure in a few years, but they may give him an outrageous signing bonus and smaller salaries throughout the contract.

I'll just throw one thing out there to put this proposed Matt Ryan contract in this article in perspective.

Drew Brees made 40 million this year, including a 37 million dollar signing bonus. If he is on the Saints three days after the Super Bowl, another 15 million in guarantees kicks in. He is basically guaranteed 55 million for the first two years.

This article suggest a contract for Matt Ryan that pays him 30 million over the first two years of his contract.

Again.......Dree Brees got a 37 million dollar signing bonus.

Oh yeah.....one more thing......these guys have the same agent.

Yeah Tom C is a killa . Look what Peyton got a year out of football and a neck injury .

He's quoting a bleacher report article. Might as well get a physic to ask what the Cap situation is.

Anyone quoting or posting a bleacher report article should get an immediate 30 day ban. ****, I have the bleacher report blocked out so it doesn't show up in Google searches. Unless blocked properly you could search For fried green tomatoes and somehow that **** site will show up in your Google search. The bleacher report is like a virus. A virus called, "attack of the unknown authors". If you're the author of said article, and you post it, 180 ban ban.

The author of the article should enlist the help of a physic to put together a better picture of our cap. A realistic one would help a lot. Btw, go do some research on Tom condon.

He wrote the article. I don't know all the fine details about everyones contract, but i know that we are not cap strapped. We may not be in position to be adding all these big name free agents, but we don't have to have big name free agent. We need to resign are main guys and bring in 1 or 2 guys plus our draft class.