Larry Warford

vel

One thing I thought about the more the time passes from the Senior Bowl is Larry Warford needs to be on this team. I know he plays guard, a less valuable position. But at #30, I don't see a player that can impact this team more than Warford. Like some have said, Warford has All Pro potential. Okafor is more of a consistent ~8 sack guy.

The way Warford clears lanes and holds his ground in the pass game at his size is rare. To be able to add a Carl Nicks/Jahri Evans to our line for Ryan's career is an opportunity we need to seize. Compare that to adding a guy like Okafor he has Orakpo type potential in my opinion, who is a good player, but more of a 8-9 sack guy even though he had 11 sacks as a rookie. That's Pro Bowl production, not All Pro. You want to talk about a people mover, that's Warford. Plain and simple.

He gave up 0 sacks his senior year at Kentucky. That's against SEC players like Richardson and Floyd. Not like he was in the WAC or something. He was against the best talent week in and week out and shut every single one out. I know the offense wasn't the problem with our playoff team so to speak. But the first round pick needs to be an impact player and Warford is more of that than Okafor. If we took a guy like Warford, we could draft any running back in the mid rounds and they'd produce behind him. He's that good. This would fix our offense for the next five years easy. The only sore spot after RG is TE and WR depth and RB. TE, WR and RB can be fixed this year in the latter rounds. Taking Warford let's us go defense heavy the rest of this draft and also the draft next year. After Warford, I think the only RG I would say this about is Travis Frederick, and he isn't on the same level as Warford. He has played RG his whole career at Kentucky. I think when they saw Smitty and TD looking at OLine, they were looking at Warford.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LDE is still a problem. Gholston isn't that good of a pass rusher and I've never even heard of the other two guys you listed. Akeem Spence is an awful pass rusher. Bennie Logan is undersized and wouldn't be a big upgrade to our DT corps. Kelce and Escobar are decent but overrated. We need an IMPACT pass rusher and we can't get that in the 2nd round this year, but what we CAN get is a dominant road grading RG like Travis Frederick or Alvin Bailey.

LDE is still a problem. Gholston isn't that good of a pass rusher and I've never even heard of the other two guys you listed. Akeem Spence is an awful pass rusher. Bennie Logan is undersized and wouldn't be a big upgrade to our DT corps. Kelce and Escobar are decent but overrated. We need an IMPACT pass rusher and we can't get that in the 2nd round this year, but what we CAN get is a dominant road grading RG like Travis Frederick or Alvin Bailey.

You said LDE not RDE. All those listed are adequate pass rushers whose strength is playing the run.

Again, you said NT so not rushing the passer wouldn't be an issue as long as they could get some decent push.

I disagree Logan is a great player vs the run and good vs the pass.

Our problem is that our LDE can't pass rush worth a **** and we have no depth at RDE. When I say NT, I don't mean "player that can stop the run in a one gap scheme and can't pass rush no matter what you ask of him," I mean "player who can beat single blocks consistently in every phase of the game and can draw and stonewall double teams often".

Our problem is that our LDE can't pass rush worth a **** and we have no depth at RDE. When I say NT, I don't mean "player that can stop the run in a one gap scheme and can't pass rush no matter what you ask of him," I mean "player who can beat single blocks consistently in every phase of the game and can draw and stonewall double teams often".

I agree. Like I said, the above players are all adequate pass rushers, just not guys that can play RDE or get over 8+ sacks a year.

I know what you meant. Like I said, for a guy like that it would take a 1st rounder or settle for someone that can do that a fair amount of the time like a Akeem Spence or Logan or Short. A lot of those 2nd rd+ NT types have issues with their motors/effort.

We could trade back a bit and give up our fourth or something, get a third rounder in the process...there's a lot we could do.

Reaching for players when there are better players at another position of need just because the lesser player fills a perceived bigger need is stupidity. It's what leads to players like Jamaal Anderson.

Anderson was perceived as one of the best DE prospects in the draft. He was a bust, but he wasn't necessarily an obvious one. It's only in retrospect that we can see he friggen blows.

So you think there is a DE at #30th pick that can make an immediate impact in our pash rush? "our problem"? really? try alot of teams.

Reaching for players when there are better players at another position of need just because the lesser player fills a perceived bigger need is stupidity. It's what leads to players like Jamaal Anderson.

Naah, pure stupidity leads to players like Jmaal Anderson. Not doing due diligence or even interviewing him? That's just stupid.

I think it's insane anyone can say how anyone will due in the future, just like the people in the Tom Brady draft I bet they all said he had no chance. You can't say Warford will be an all pro or Alex Okafor will be a 8 sack guy, you don't know that one person's work ethic is stronger then another, for all you know Warford comes in and tears his ACL. Point is no one should doubt any skill of any player we pick at 30 untill you see them for 2-3 years in the league.